DAZN want to stream all 1600 EFL games

DAZN have tabled an offer to stream all 1652 EFL games from the start of the 24/25 season. 

The offer is rumoured to be in the region of £200m (Sky's current deal was £120m) but is dependent on the lifting of the 3pm Saturday rule and also they want a five year deal, not the current four year one.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/dazn-set-to-rival-sky-sports-for-efl-rights-from-2024-as-significant-offer-placed/

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Who?

Certain folk on here will know exactly who they are. I watched the Scotland game on DAZN last night.

I am led to believe that for just £60 per year, you can be introduced to them, and others.

Edited by Skamp
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tylluan said:

DAZN have tabled an offer to stream all 1652 EFL games from the start of the 24/25 season. 

The offer is rumoured to be in the region of £200m (Sky's current deal was £120m) but is dependent on the lifting of the 3pm Saturday rule and also they want a five year deal, not the current four year one.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/dazn-set-to-rival-sky-sports-for-efl-rights-from-2024-as-significant-offer-placed/

Haven't DAZN now got a platform on Sky?

So what are peoples thoughts on this.

I know many on here obtain content from this Internet lark with the aid of a magic stick of fire. Presumably at some stage if a streaming giant comes on board like DAZN then they are going to attempt to secure their IP. To be honest I have no idea if that is feasible

Part of me does have divided views. I certainly enjoy the ability to see the 3pm kick offs, I certainly think away games should be made available 

But at the same time do we pander to the armchair fan too much. It will, in time, categorically start to impact on match day attendances. Nothing beats live in the stadium football, but I promise its not really worth 4 hours in the car and freezing your nuts off. But that would become the norm 

For the EFL does short term gain become long term pain 

For me it boils down to a few things. 

The product has to be so much better than the current one camera, no replay, Sky red button offering, if they're looking to enhance the EFL across the world. But God help it if it's just looking to tap into the current i-player set up and shout outs to auntie Pauline. The pricing has to be enticing enough to add it to other subscriptions. For most people this will be an add on rather than an instead of. There also needs to be a pay by game option.

It could go one of two ways. Part of the business forecast suggests that clubs could lose up to 20% of the gate and still make a profit on the deal. It'll be the walk ups and away support that drops off and not the season ticket core.   But Dazone are also projecting that kids will get into watching the games and then want to go to experience it live, a bit like kids wanting to go to Wembley after watching England on TV. That's a big assumption on today's 'screentime' generation. Why leave the sofa in November when you can just log on. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

For me it boils down to a few things. 

The product has to be so much better than the current one camera, no replay, Sky red button offering, if they're looking to enhance the EFL across the world. But God help it if it's just looking to tap into the current i-player set up and shout outs to auntie Pauline. The pricing has to be enticing enough to add it to other subscriptions. For most people this will be an add on rather than an instead of. There also needs to be a pay by game option.

It could go one of two ways. Part of the business forecast suggests that clubs could lose up to 20% of the gate and still make a profit on the deal. It'll be the walk ups and away support that drops off and not the season ticket core.   But Dazone are also projecting that kids will get into watching the games and then want to go to experience it live, a bit like kids wanting to go to Wembley after watching England on TV. That's a big assumption on today's 'screentime' generation. Why leave the sofa in November when you can just log on. 

The product on I follow below the Championship is basic economics - can you afford 4 cameras at the game and someone sat there "mixing" it 

The Wednesday Ifollow commentary is piss poor because of how they approach it. I am sure elsewhere it is more professional than saying hello to Lanzarote Owls every week. Other clubs - I think our neighbours have an in-house TV station. So you get pre match coverage, which easily could be shared in the stadium on the screen. 

Whilst DAZN may offer the ability to legally watch in the UK would the product actually be any better. 

Like I said on another thread, watch Wenzdi matches on the oppositions stream and it's a much better product.

If Sky, BT and DAZNetc can't currently stop me watching their products without a subscription, there's no way I'll pay them.

Can see a ITV Digital style collapse if this happens 

• Like 1

Personally this would not affect my viewing / attending habits.  Would still attend home games as for me there is no substitute to that.  

I am one of those that utilises the magical stick of fire for away games and to be honest it never holds my full attention.  Half Pint usually bails out from watching on TV but no way would he miss a home game so hopefully the younger generation still want to be there live. 

I could understand people like MK not attending if having to travel.  That would be the game changer for me.  6 miles down the road is not a problem but throw in 4/5 hours in a car and 50 quidsworth of fuel puts a different slant on it. 

2 hours ago, Andyben said:

Like I said on another thread, watch Wenzdi matches on the oppositions stream and it's a much better product.

If Sky, BT and DAZNetc can't currently stop me watching their products without a subscription, there's no way I'll pay them.

Can see a ITV Digital style collapse if this happens 

And DAZN won't be happy if Joshua losses tomorrow......lose a few bob there

Watching the coverage of the boxing tonight. The long drawn out ads about themselves and the actual ring side analysis is awful. Truly awful.

Fuck me, ITV are shit at football but these have the potential of setting the bar even lower unless they up their game.

I get that streaming is the probable future, but the quality always seems compromised. I guess that depends on the quality of your broadband connection.

Whilst Sky do get criticism, I think undeservedly so because they provide the money to Clubs, they don't spend it and it was the Clubs that wanted more so the TV companies could then dictate. But the one thing they did was massively improve the quality of how sport was broadcast and importantly were able to devote adequate time to it.

On 31/03/2023 at 00:54, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

So what are peoples thoughts on this.

I know many on here obtain content from this Internet lark with the aid of a magic stick of fire. Presumably at some stage if a streaming giant comes on board like DAZN then they are going to attempt to secure their IP. To be honest I have no idea if that is feasible

Part of me does have divided views. I certainly enjoy the ability to see the 3pm kick offs, I certainly think away games should be made available 

But at the same time do we pander to the armchair fan too much. It will, in time, categorically start to impact on match day attendances. Nothing beats live in the stadium football, but I promise its not really worth 4 hours in the car and freezing your nuts off. But that would become the norm 

For the EFL does short term gain become long term pain 

Gotta wonder how that would affect the iFollow crew...