Shit happens....

Reesh

And that was shit.

Not a single shot on target, the influence Byers and Windass had on our run of form cannot be underestimated.

Our lack of business in January has come back to bite us on the arse as we are so light up front at present.

9 cup finals....

Roll on Wednesday night.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Reesh said:

And that was shit.

Not a single shot on target, the influence Byers and Windass had on our run of form cannot be underestimated.

Our lack of business in January has come back to bite us on the arse as we are so light up front at present.

9 cup finals....

Roll on Wednesday night.

I agree but the loss of them should not be over-played either. Today we last the battle of attitudes and perhaps a tactical battle as well.

The loss of Byers and Windass would not be felt IF those 2 aspects had been where they should have been 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I agree but the loss of them should not be over-played either. Today we last the battle of attitudes and perhaps a tactical battle as well.

The loss of Byers and Windass would not be felt IF those 2 aspects had been where they should have been 

Agreed. If we'd have gone out and just tried to bully and smash our way forward got crosses in time and again we had enough upfront 2 get the goals but no we decided to prat about with it at back with 2 players who can't pass water.

Easy2 say in hindsight but in January we needed a player with pace or bit of trickery. Easy said than done yes and they cost but you would have thought we could have got someone 

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Agreed. If we'd have gone out and just tried to bully and smash our way forward got crosses in time and again we had enough upfront 2 get the goals but no we decided to prat about with it at back with 2 players who can't pass water.

Easy2 say in hindsight but in January we needed a player with pace or bit of trickery. Easy said than done yes and they cost but you would have thought we could have got someone 

Or kept Mighten ? No world beater but he was something different at least 

1 minute ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

If not him then someone similar ilk. Our width 100% comes from the wing backs other wise 

The unfortunate part is that our injuries are rarely a couple of games, more couple of months 

If you mean the player we thought we were getting, I agree. Ditto Wilks.

Our pursuit & signing of those two are the worst work we did & have left us damagingly short of attacking pace: indeed simply short of attackers. As soon as we've lost Windass the other poor buggers, especially Smith, are running themselves into the ground. 

17 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Shipston offers the same if not more but why have him on the bench if you don't trust him? 

I don't think Moore does. Same with Cadamarteri or any of the other 21s

39 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I thought he was really poor. However there were times he was played at wing back. Not his game. Didn’t fit Moores system which begs the question.....

• Like 1

I can’t see us getting anyone we could replace Byers or Windass in January without a significant outlay.

If I recall (although it was very much say nothing direct) we were chasing someone to replace Mighten, who was poor - in my opinion, way too lightweight.

Byers is class and any team in the is league would miss him, he’s so good at picking up positions to pick up the ball and get us moving forward, that’s why he complements Bannan and Vaulks. Not to mention he’ll put his foot in and does it without running himself into the ground.

24 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I can’t see us getting anyone we could replace Byers or Windass in January without a significant outlay.

If I recall (although it was very much say nothing direct) we were chasing someone to replace Mighten, who was poor - in my opinion, way too lightweight.

Byers is class and any team in the is league would miss him, he’s so good at picking up positions to pick up the ball and get us moving forward, that’s why he complements Bannan and Vaulks. Not to mention he’ll put his foot in and does it without running himself into the ground.

Not sure it was looking for like for like replacement. More that we perhaps needed pace 

I still think the 3 other options in midfield should be good enough but that is dependent on them being in form

Bakinson had not started for 3 months so it's a tad unfair to think he can come in and be top drawer

And therein would lie the same problem for any January signings that came in - unless they were obvious first choices

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

January shouldn't have been about replacing but but about covering. 

With Wilks not featuring much in Moore's plans pre Christmas and Mighten going back then we should have sort cover for Windass (as Smith and Gregory were alternating at the time)

Byers was arguably covered by Adeniran and FDB but Windass was never covered from the start of the season (Wilks doesn't play that role) 

Moore has to release either Bannan or Johnson to play that role if Wilks isn't fit enough to start but it's a horrible stop gap. Smith and Gregory worked on Tuesday because Barnsley were prepared to match up and play out. Forest Green set up to stifle and defend and neither were given room to move or anything to attack. Cheltenham will do the same so we need someone to unlock the game further up the pitch

• Like 1

This may be a performance that was needed. We came out of the Barnsley game quite happy with the performance, a game we should have got at least a point from, and yesterday we put in our worst performance for a couple of years. This may be the kick needed to get us over the line, especially as our next 7 are all winnable games.

I echo the thoughts here about a lack of match winners. We know that Bannan and Windass are a level up, we have two very good number 9’s who providing they get service, will score goals. We have a player in George Byers who does all of the simple things very very well. And we are missing Byers and Windass for at least 2 weeks, but likely longer. Other players aren’t stepping up, Adeniran and Dele all of a sudden don’t look up to this level. Amazing as both are playing for contracts.

Yesterday needed us to squeeze the life out of FGR, high press, force mistakes 30 yards out.

There is another issue, that’s the last two games where teams have forced us right, and then squeezed Iorfa, and forced him to give the ball away. His touch and distribution are very poor, and he’s not driving into space with the ball and trying to create overloads. In games we are going to dominate the ball, I’d not pick him at all.