Better than the win against the Gummers?

Was thinking, was that win tonight better than the win against Arsenal?

The Arsenal game, we were 'on the up', we had a scattering of players in form and could have a played in the Prem, they had changed their team but they also had a pretty strong team out. We were in the Championship and Arsenal weren't exactly flying (compared to Newcastle)

Tonight we were another league lower, but they had made more changes, even if they did bring on their best players in the 2nd half after we went 2-0 up.

So on balance, yes I think tonight's result was better. I loved beating Arsenal and that night atmosphere was special. 

“Gummers”?
The Arsenal game had a bit of a restored pride about it, my generation and older still dislike them after 93 & we hadn’t played them since the match that pretty much confirmed our relegation from the Prem.  Plus the match & overall occasion was better anticipated & vastly better attended and the whole ‘Chansiri feel good factor’ was still quite new.

I felt we were in touching distance of rejoining the elite after that match. We thumped Arsenal & even 4-0 or 5-0 wouldn’t have been unfair. 

But tonight’s game, in terms of magnitude when you consider where both clubs are is much more meaningful. Just a shame the gate was so piss poor.

I always enjoy it when we beat them though.

Edited by ChineseYellowLorry
  • Like 3

It’s a difficult one. We absolutely rolled Arsenal over, although it was a much changed Arsenal team who came in not great form. But, we were just turning into a decent second division team. I thought the win at Newcastle earlier in the round, when we had a much changed team, was potentially a better win. Make no bones about it, we were the better team in both games.

Last night, form team in the third division against the form team in the premier league, who mixed up the first team and back ups. The size of the task for Wednesday was bigger, and Newcastle could have got something from the game given some of the missed chances. But I felt the fact that we put bodies on the line made it perhaps stand out more.

I heard a few things (excuses) about that Arsenal side after we’d played them. Some were saying they played the kids (the average age of the Arsenal side was higher than ours) whilst others were saying they were inexperienced. I think I added up, including Petr Cech, that their back 5 had over 200 international caps between them. Not bad ‘inexperience’ is that!

Yet we battered them. I happened to see the Arsenal highlights the other day and as a side we were far more polished than we were versus Newcastle.

But the gulf in class (and squad cost) between ours and Newcastle’s side was far greater, yet we more than matched them physically and mentally, and we weren’t too far behind them skill wise, for the full game.

For those reasons I’d say that the result against Newcastle was the most impressive, but from a footballing point of view, unsurprisingly, I’d say the team v Arsenal showed more quality with the ball.

Both games will live forever in the memory though! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellsview said:

I heard a few things (excuses) about that Arsenal side after we’d played them. Some were saying they played the kids (the average age of the Arsenal side was higher than ours) whilst others were saying they were inexperienced. I think I added up, including Petr Cech, that their back 5 had over 200 international caps between them. Not bad ‘inexperience’ is that!

Yet we battered them. I happened to see the Arsenal highlights the other day and as a side we were far more polished than we were versus Newcastle.

But the gulf in class (and squad cost) between ours and Newcastle’s side was far greater, yet we more than matched them physically and mentally, and we weren’t too far behind them skill wise, for the full game.

For those reasons I’d say that the result against Newcastle was the most impressive, but from a footballing point of view, unsurprisingly, I’d say the team v Arsenal showed more quality with the ball.

Both games will live forever in the memory though! 

Yes, I had a Blade at work then start chirping about the Arsenal team so I totalled up the defence & Keepers' caps for the dolt.  Also that Centre Forward that played, Giroud was it?  Did he ever make anything of himself?   :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Saturday for me

Well mainly because I missed the Arsenal game 

I almost did, too, but that concern turned into a memorable moment.  Ages beforehand I'd volunteered for a course at work.  Sod's Law, it ended up being on the match day.  It was scheduled to finish late and I was going to miss a massive chunk of the game, which I'd already got a ticket for.  During the first break I was able to have a bit of a chat with the external trainer and, whilst not asking him for anything, I ruefully described my  circumstances. When we got down to the training again, without even looking at me, he explained to the other trainees that he needed to be somewhere later so we were going to work through the second meal break and finish early.  Good man!  

Fast forward and I'm legging it up the road past Hillsborough Corner, listening to the game on my phone.   I'd just turned into Hillsborough Park  when we scored the first goal.  Forget the radio broadcast, the sheer blast of noise that shot across the darkness of that park and just hit me was incredible.  I can still remember the sensation of goose pimples and hair rising slightly together. It really was an amazing moment!  And all thanks to that special guy, a training officer that didn't know me from Adam. Wherever you are, man...😎👍

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 3