Pele

Skamp

The Brazilian football legend Pelé is receiving palliative care after chemotherapy treatment for colon cancer stopped having the expected results, it has been reported.

Pelé, 82, who is widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, was admitted to hospital on Tuesday to re-evaluate his cancer treatment and later diagnosed with a respiratory infection, according to medical reports.

Best of luck fella. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky enough to have seen him live.

Too young to fully appreciate his full talent at the time, but what a joy to watch as a kid.

All these spoilt wasters in todays game, and everybody thinking they made up some special moves.

Pele, hold my beer...

https://www.sportbible.com/football/pele-video-incredible-skills-798882-20221204

R.I.P. The Best

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MAL said:

Lucky enough to have seen him live.

Too young to fully appreciate his full talent at the time, but what a joy to watch as a kid.

All these spoilt wasters in todays game, and everybody thinking they made up some special moves.

Pele, hold my beer...

https://www.sportbible.com/football/pele-video-incredible-skills-798882-20221204

R.I.P. The Best

A magnificent player and always seemed to be a decent human being.   It was terrible watching him get kicked off the pitches here in 1966, wonderful seeing him back to his world best in 1970 and a privilge to see him play at S6. 

RIP, Edson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Great stuff.

I don't really engage on the debate of best ever player, just more that Pele was the best of his generation, Messi the current one, Cryuff etc

Just enjoy football being played the right way 

For me, that is it is why i would say he was the best player ever.

Yes, the best of his generation, but if you watch the video it shows that he did everything absolutely years and years before the others copied him, don't get me wrong, he himself might have copied what some other else had tried to do first and put them all together, but he mastered the art of ball control in every aspect of the game and did it all, it was so easy to him to do anything, it showed in all the world cups for instance that he could carry a team on his own in any situation.

And...

He could do all that with what was, at times, like kicking a medicine ball, nothing like the balloons they use today.

Sorry, rambling on a bit, drink + win = drink more

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MAL said:

For me, that is it is why i would say he was the best player ever.

Yes, the best of his generation, but if you watch the video it shows that he did everything absolutely years and years before the others copied him, don't get me wrong, he himself might have copied what some other else had tried to do first and put them all together, but he mastered the art of ball control in every aspect of the game and did it all, it was so easy to him to do anything, it showed in all the world cups for instance that he could carry a team on his own in any situation.

And...

He could do all that with what was, at times, like kicking a medicine ball, nothing like the balloons they use today.

Sorry, rambling on a bit, drink + win = drink more

IMO, with the right discipline, Gaza could have been up there with him and the rest. 

Arguably the greatest, especially as has been said in a generation that got away with playing the man rather than the ball and a gentleman an all. That photo of him in bobby Moore says it all. If I'm right he played twice at Hillsborough in exhibitions, early 60s when Vic Buckingham was there and then early 70s

I was at the Santos game in 72 . I was a student at Middleborough at the time , a load of us drove down just to see him . I think there was a doubt about Pele's fitness whether he would play or not . But he did but was heavily strapped at one point today he would not have been risked

I never got to see Pele play as far too young but have watched many a clip of the man on YouTube, what a player, absolutely unplayable.

Yesterday the footballing world not only lost a legend of the game but a true great, we just don't produce players like Pele & Maradona anymore (Messi an exception) how they played football on pitches back then I'll never know.

RIP Pele - you will always be remembered.

I’d call him the godfather of all the geniuses that play today. As has been said, a lot of what we see today is from him.

As a player, had the lot. Quick, strong, two footed, could beat you multiple ways, good in the air, great finisher and technically brilliant.

He’s the greatest because he transcended the sport. You don’t need to be a football fan, but you knew who Pele was, in the same way as Ali, Jordan.

• Like 2