2021/22 v 2022/23

Reesh

5 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

And we've played more of the teams at the top too..... IIRC.

Yeah, tougher start than last season and the one factor is that the 3 above us haven't faced that start yet so can claw them back hopefully when our easier run occurs, if it does.

Just looked up the table for the last time we were in this division.

The team that came third had 90 points.

I remember it all being a bit close with the team that finished third blowing it in the run in and it wasn’t decided until the last game. 

Two points per game ought to be enough, but if the top 3 or 4 maintain their consistency, it could be close again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Plus 8 points and 12 better GD is a significant improvement. Proof as always in how the rest of the season goes. Bit of an injury situation at the back but no doubt we will deal in January. I'm still positive without losing sight of this is Wednesday we are on about.

• 4 weeks later...

Only 2 games more league wise but a month since the update.

After 19 games we sit on 40 points, 3rd and with 35 goals for and 16 against we have a 19+ GD, 10 clean sheets from 19 too

At the same stage last season we sat on 32 points with 26 goals for 19 against in 5th.

Thanks Reesh, it’s a useful comparison. It is an improvement on last season and hopefully we can improve. As I’ve said before the run games of games around Feb when we play the top six clubs will determine things I suspect.

Things can change but compared to last season it feels like a 3 horse race for the top 2, whereas last season there were potentially 5 in the running and a couple of others like ourselves and Oxford trying to keep on the shirt tales of Plymouth (at the same stage). So I’m thinking at least a similar number of points for top 2 will be needed. Question is, will Plymouth fall away and will they keep their manager.

• 1 month later...

After 25 games :

Our 25th league game last season saw victory over Plymouth at Hillsborough on 15th of January, a Windass inspired 4-2.

We sat in 8th on 40 points 

Obviously being 2nd this time with 11 more goals scored, 11 goals fewer conceded and 12 more points is impressive. 

Screenshot_20230102_183554_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’d certainly admit that I’ve not been the biggest advocate of Moore and his style of football at times in the past. The slow and steady, safe approach was frustrating. Seemed predictable, but in the last few weeks we seem to have kicked on. 

I don’t think many can argue with what’s going on at the moment. So, praise where it’s due. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

Well, I’d certainly admit that I’ve not been the biggest advocate of Moore and his style of football at times in the past. The slow and steady, safe approach was frustrating. Seemed predictable, but in the last few weeks we seem to have kicked on. 

I don’t think many can argue with what’s going on at the moment. So, praise where it’s due. 

Feel the same, we’ve definitely moved on a bit and look far more resilient in the last few games - getting pissed off with all the “where are the Moore haters” posts on social media though.

Ive never hated Moore, but if you haven’t questioned anything in relation to his team choices, formations, tactics, style of play and substitutions this season then you’re either fucking stupid or blind because of the rose tinted.

I’ve questioned Moore on many, many occasions and have openly stated that I don’t believe he’s the man to take us up automatically - but that doesn’t mean I’d love to be wrong and tucking into a large slice of humble pie at the end of the season.

No because we don't lose games because Moore is shit like we don't win games because Moore is brilliant. 

We have a decent squad for this level and are going to be right up there come the end of the season regardless of what happens in those 2 games 

But we might get beat now and again because that's football and our players are human 

Good post Bells, pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Some managers have an instant impact but then do they manage to sustain over the longer period. DM certainly didnt have an instant impact but he did inherit a difficult situation, we just didnt have the goals in that team that got relegated. He also got seriously ill.

So, if there was an advert for giving a manager time to stamp his identity, DM would be one. Obviously he's done nothing yet but I think most of us can sense he's started to make the club move in the right direction. This transfer window could still be pivotal though, but after what we have seen since he arrived, I have a good feeling that he will get the right players in - subject to DC backing him, which I think he will.

As we know early February will tell us how hard it will be to get the autos or if it will be plane sailing.   

Edited by Tank_Owl2,0

Last season we managed to complete League doubles over 

Doncaster

Fleetwood

Crewe

Wigan

MK 

Burton

with only Oxford doing the same to us

With 26 games game we've already down the double over Wycombe, Cambridge and Vale with 10 other sides in the mix to also get the same, 3 clubs could do the double over us which are Plymouth, Posh and Barnsley. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update after 30 games.

This time last season we sat in 8th on 52 points with 14 wins, 10 draws and 6 defeats, we had a goal difference of +10 with 42 goals scored 32 against.

So we are 6 places higher, have 5 more wins, 2 fewer draws and 3 fewer losses,  we've scored 11 more and conceded 12 less to give a goal difference of +33

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2023 at 09:20, Andyben said:

Speaking to a former colleague who's a Southampton fan and he thinks we'll do  what they did and go straight up next year with the  momentum we have, like they did.

I hope you're right pal, wouldn't take much to get out of that division as it stands.