England squad…

HoylandOwl

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Nottingham Forest, loan from Manchester United), Nick Pope (Newcastle United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Everton, loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Marc Guéhi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (AS Roma), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham United), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Ivan Toney (Brentford)

53 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

The media are too.

He’s a good player, when he can be arsed. Which is becoming less likely by the day.

He's absolute bobar when it comes to actual defending and all teams do now is entice him forward and knock it into the gap he's left. 

Much like Jamie Vardy, Toney won't get a look in unless Kane breaks both legs. He's only been picked because of media influence. Southgate will play Sterling and Saka alongside Kane and then give Toney some minutes out wide, like he did with Bowen, just to say he's played him.  

I'd like to see Toney and Abraham given a few games as a central 2 but the over reliance on Kane will still happen 

For the sake of his own career. TAA needs to make that move in field like has been touted for a long long time.

For me, even in Liverpools team he’s the natural successor to Henderson in that midfield three.

As a footballer, he’s very good. As a defender he makes Ian Hendon look like Dani Alves.

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

He's absolute bobar when it comes to actual defending and all teams do now is entice him forward and knock it into the gap he's left. 

Much like Jamie Vardy, Toney won't get a look in unless Kane breaks both legs. He's only been picked because of media influence. Southgate will play Sterling and Saka alongside Kane and then give Toney some minutes out wide, like he did with Bowen, just to say he's played him.  

I'd like to see Toney and Abraham given a few games as a central 2 but the over reliance on Kane will still happen 

I don’t have an issue with Kane at all, but to get the most out of him you need to play the two either side of him the way that Spurs use him.

He comes deep and they run into the spaces he leaves.

What I do like about both Toney and Abraham is that they both can do the lone striker role well. Both have a presence about them.

I don't have an issue with Kane but teams know how England will set up and it becomes easier to formulate a defensive plan. 

England struggled against Switzerland because they allowed Kane to drop and watched the flanks by playing 4-2-3-1.

Then look at the last round of Nations League. Four games one goal and that was a penalty. 

Even if Southgate changed it the swap would be like for like and the defensive plan stays the same. That's why Bowen ended up starting wide instead of more like a 10 like he plays at West Ham. Just think if you're an Italian defender when the team sheet comes in and it's a central 2 up top. All your preparation mindset disintegrates and you've 45 mins to readjust and hope your team mates have too

Edited by Tylluan

13 hours ago, KrolMong said:

For the sake of his own career. TAA needs to make that move in field like has been touted for a long long time.

For me, even in Liverpools team he’s the natural successor to Henderson in that midfield three.

As a footballer, he’s very good. As a defender he makes Ian Hendon look like Dani Alves.

That proper made me chuckle… 🤣🤣

23 hours ago, KrolMong said:

And he needs every **** to not call him just Trent....the shitty Nottingham River wannabe

• Haha 1

Just seen that Harry Maguire is blaming pretty much everyone barring himself for his horrible dip in form. He’s blamed De Gea, the coaches, everyone.

My case against him never playing for England again is simple. Harry Maguire looks good when he’s defending on the 18 yard line. He won’t squeeze up the pitch, so we moan that we concede possession, and sit and defend, but as soon as he feels a bit of pressure he retreats. And everyone retreats with him.

It doesn’t matter who you have as a front three if your lead defender won’t squeeze up the pitch. You are simply inviting the opposition up the pitch and bringing your whole midfield back.

He did well at Hull, Leicester and the pigs when he could camp on the penalty spot. He goes to Man Utd, a team that has always had a high line and dominated the ball, and struggled immensely.

Ramsey? I'll blame that on autocorrect..... Ramsdale.

The thing is re Pickford, he's very rarely let England down. While for Everton he has from time to time been very erratic. 

Pope, seems relatively solid, seems to rarely let his side down. He's worthy of a call up and has been for some time. Like our lads in the PJT should have done, 😜, he needs to take advantage of his chance. 

I have had enough of his ‘trusted’ players.

If you are going to play a back three, put players in form in. Which would be White, Tomori and Dier.

Play Saka in the position he is playing in for Arsenal, not as a left wing back.

Out best right back right now is Trippier. TAA and James are out of form. Shaw and Maguire can’t get in the Man Utd 11, don’t bring them.

We’ve got a lot of players at the top end of pitch out of form. Kane, Bellingham and Foden are doing well at club level, the rest are not, although two that are doing well but not getting in the squad are Sancho and Rashford.

If I could give a couple of positives. The best player on the pitch has been Jude Bellingham. And I don’t think Southgate needs any more evidence that a back three doesn’t work considering how much they improved after we went to a 4… but we know it will still mean three center halves and a defensive midfield player come World Cup.

If I was picking a World Cup Squad, I’ll tell who won’t get in…

TAA, Shaw, Maguire, Stones, Grealish, Philips and Mount. You need to be playing and in form, and they may as well be sat with me.

• Like 1

That was Italy's reserves wasn't it?

11 out injured and a couple more that Mancini fell out with and binned. 

And they still sussed out England's front three play and had a cigar on for most of the night. 

So with Potter now at Chelsea and Howe happy at Newcastle who's taking over at Christmas? Frank, Stevie, or Wayne?

It wont ever improve until he decides to permanently keep England on the front foot. I feel sorry for the likes of Kane, Sterling, Foden, Saka. Club level they all effectively play the same system and are hugely successful with it, and yet, they play a defensive version of the same set-up and look bad. When you have the front three helping full backs out, you’ve got problems.

Southgate did a great job initially in reaching a World Cup semi-final after Hodgson’s horrible side and the debacle against Iceland. The Players wanted to play and were a breath of fresh air after the self-absorbed, self interested so called golden generation. I do think however Southgate should have left after losing to Italy whilst he still had some credit in bank. I wouldn’t have a clue on who take over now potter and Howe are employed elsewhere

14 hours ago, Morley Owl said:

Southgate did a great job initially in reaching a World Cup semi-final after Hodgson’s horrible side and the debacle against Iceland. The Players wanted to play and were a breath of fresh air after the self-absorbed, self interested so called golden generation. I do think however Southgate should have left after losing to Italy whilst he still had some credit in bank. I wouldn’t have a clue on who take over now potter and Howe are employed elsewhere

Garry Monk could have got England to the Semi in 2018.

Played nobody, easiest route to a final ever and Southgate fucked it up.

In the three games against decent team at the tournament, we lost each one.