Ipswich Town

So, having a bit of a debate on Twitter...

Dom Howson has posted something today, which I agreed on. IN that in SOME quarters people are suggesting that Ipswich are doing what they're doing on a shoestring, signing players for next to nowt,

BUT, they've spent quite a chunk of money over the last 12/18 months. 

Yes, while they're not spaffing £20m on one player, like those parachute payment clubs can/have. They're hardly bringing loanees in that cost next to nowt from League 1. While they got that lad from Wimbledon for £1m (plus whatever add ons) people like Tuanzebe won't be paid £2p and a bag of skips per week. Broadhead last season cost them what? £2m? Brandon Williams loan from Man U, Sarmiento from Brighton had his loan at West Brom pulled to go there didn't he, and not to mention Kieffer Moore. 

I do agree they've been savvy in the market, and got some good players, playing very well....And, I don't think it's even debatable if their manager is doing a good job or not, he is, and they're absolutely punching above their weight and fair play.

It's not about jealousy, I'd love to be in the top two/three at this point of the season, who wouldn't want to be, I'm envious of them in that respect. But it's not for fuck all is it. 

If the articles I'd seen had said, they've achieved what they have SO FAR, on budgets far less than the likes of Southampton, Leicester etc, then yeah. Of course, that makes total sense. But they've hardly done it scratching round in the bargain bin at Poundland like some articles would have folks believe. 

Or is that just me?

20 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

So, having a bit of a debate on Twitter...

Dom Howson has posted something today, which I agreed on. IN that in SOME quarters people are suggesting that Ipswich are doing what they're doing on a shoestring, signing players for next to nowt,

BUT, they've spent quite a chunk of money over the last 12/18 months. 

Yes, while they're not spaffing £20m on one player, like those parachute payment clubs can/have. They're hardly bringing loanees in that cost next to nowt from League 1. While they got that lad from Wimbledon for £1m (plus whatever add ons) people like Tuanzebe won't be paid £2p and a bag of skips per week. Broadhead last season cost them what? £2m? Brandon Williams loan from Man U, Sarmiento from Brighton had his loan at West Brom pulled to go there didn't he, and not to mention Kieffer Moore. 

I do agree they've been savvy in the market, and got some good players, playing very well....And, I don't think it's even debatable if their manager is doing a good job or not, he is, and they're absolutely punching above their weight and fair play.

It's not about jealousy, I'd love to be in the top two/three at this point of the season, who wouldn't want to be, I'm envious of them in that respect. But it's not for fuck all is it. 

If the articles I'd seen had said, they've achieved what they have SO FAR, on budgets far less than the likes of Southampton, Leicester etc, then yeah. Of course, that makes total sense. But they've hardly done it scratching round in the bargain bin at Poundland like some articles would have folks believe. 

Or is that just me?

Don't bother looking at my posts about them, their finances, wages and  transfer fees from last week terry....

• Haha 2

The same misnomer that Luton did it on a shoestring. It wasn't a huge Budget to be fair.

But proper organisation and a reasonable budget can take you a lot further than lots of money and piss poor planning

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The same misnomer that Luton did it on a shoestring. It wasn't a huge Budget to be fair.

But proper organisation and a reasonable budget can take you a lot further than lots of money and piss poor planning

Luton who were twice in admin and had dodgy contracts....that Luton?

• Like 1

Both can be true, ie they did admin and have had good planning and progressive approach. 

Id also say a very good manager given a relatively free hand to do what he thinks best on the football front with sensible but not stupid investment.