Quarter time assessment

mkowl

I think it is fair to say the league table ain't lying after those first 11 games. I mean there are often a run of games where you think the points reward does not match the performances. Can't really say that applies.

To me the most apt summary of this period is "a mess". In every direction you look.

There is a chance to re-set on the pitch at least but until there is a change in mindset by the owner or indeed a change in owner, then its only going to be temporary at best. 

Teams have proven you don't need huge resources to be competitive in this league, clearly it helps but what is needed is a clear strategic plan to achieve it.

I accept that is difficult at Sheffield Wednesday, if we drop down to League 1 the expectation is an immediate return, in whatever way that takes. Even if as shown that short term approach simply does not work in the Championship

The scary thing for me is that even if we (highly unlikely) had promotion form over the next 11 games we would get 22 points and be on 25 points. And only just on target to get 50 points.

If we got an average return, basically I mean you win 1 draw 1 lose 1, so 4 points every 3 games we would be borderline on relegation.

That is the scale of the task any new manager is facing. 

I think we've tried the change. DM assembled a team of older players and when he left we had about 10 left.

The shouts last season - we're an old team. get some young lads in. Why do other teams get the unheard of young talent. We get some in and it is useless kids who we've never heard of. Fucking baffling.

Personally believe confidence, fitness and players in their correct positions we'd be alreyt.

8 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

I think we've tried the change. DM assembled a team of older players and when he left we had about 10 left.

The shouts last season - we're an old team. get some young lads in. Why do other teams get the unheard of young talent. We get some in and it is useless kids who we've never heard of. Fucking baffling.

Personally believe confidence, fitness and players in their correct positions we'd be alreyt.

Byers, Gregory, Jack Hunt, Neymarv, Vaulks. Iorfa.

All players who, after 5-6 games were terrible, with the calls for some to never play again.

We need to give players time to get in.

Of course the blokes who played 70 odd matches are going to play better together. But we need to stop with the short termism or we're going down.

Like Ipswich and Plymouth last year. Took the pain early, got a style, got everything moving and the young players settled then smashed it at the end when they had all caught up. Whereas we stagnated and regressed as soon as a couple of the main players got injured and the replacements weren't up to speed.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 09:34, mkowl said:

The scary thing for me is that even if we (highly unlikely) had promotion form over the next 11 games we would get 22 points and be on 25 points. And only just on target to get 50 points.

If we got an average return, basically I mean you win 1 draw 1 lose 1, so 4 points every 3 games we would be borderline on relegation.

That is the scale of the task any new manager is facing. 

I was having quite a good Monday until I read this 😀 sadly it's the reality of the situation we are in and one I'm not confident we can get out of.