Mission to Burnley

Not sure if anyone has watched this however, I thought it was pretty decent and a little surprised that certain points were actually aired.

I appreciate that we are in a totally different position i.e. promoted from league one rather than relegated from the Prem but thought that there are quite a few similarities to the changes that we are currently going through, hopefully we have a similar outcome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Watched second episode of this and Kompany absolutely nails it in the board meeting.   

Says a defined style needed with players sold each year and others ready to come in to play the same style, improve then sell and repeat.

Light years from our scattergun hit and hope approach. 

The thing that amazes me about things like this show that it's not exactly rocket science is it. It's hardly revolutionary, but yet so many have failed to grasp the concept.

18 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Watched second episode of this and Kompany absolutely nails it in the board meeting.   

Says a defined style needed with players sold each year and others ready to come in to play the same style, improve then sell and repeat.

5 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

The thing that amazes me about things like this show that it's not exactly rocket science is it. It's hardly revolutionary, but yet so many have failed to grasp the concept.

Thing is this can have a reverse effect. 

Last week I went with my mate to watch his lad play an u10s 7x7 game and the opposition were trying to play zonal marking. You could hear their coach shouting "stay in your grid" but they lost 8-2 and you could see the frustration on the kids faces. 

I wandered over and had a word with the coach about interesting set up and early days etc and he said the direction had come down from the club committee that all teams should play zonal 4-2-3-1 to create an identity. That's 22 teams, across all age groups, playing one style regardless of what kind of players they've got. 

22 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Last week I went with my mate to watch his lad play an u10s 7x7 game and the opposition were trying to play zonal marking. You could hear their coach shouting "stay in your grid" but they lost 8-2 and you could see the frustration on the kids faces. 

I wandered over and had a word with the coach about interesting set up and early days etc and he said the direction had come down from the club committee that all teams should play zonal 4-2-3-1 to create an identity. That's 22 teams, across all age groups, playing one style regardless of what kind of players they've got. 

I mean at that age it should be about enjoying it. Plenty of coaches think they are the next Pep.

The point is more that there should be a bit more science to the recruitment process. That a new manager / head coach does not come in, discard everything and start again. Not only is it expensive, but also not that effective. 

Heckingbottam did make an interesting point pre their match about being happier with their recruitment, players on better contracts from their business point of view. 

Ours seems way more scattergun than a lot of clubs

19 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Yet this summer we've looked at younger players to improve and sell on....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Surprised they lost 8-2 if they played 4-2-3-1 in a 7v7 march @Tylluan

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 08:45, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I mean at that age it should be about enjoying it. Plenty of coaches think they are the next Pep.

The point is more that there should be a bit more science to the recruitment process. That a new manager / head coach does not come in, discard everything and start again. Not only is it expensive, but also not that effective. 

Heckingbottam did make an interesting point pre their match about being happier with their recruitment, players on better contracts from their business point of view. 

Ours seems way more scattergun than a lot of clubs

I think this is the main point.  The clubs that overachieve relative to size and financial resources, these days, tend to have some continuity in recruitment.  The current first team coach doesn’t get to rip everything up and bring in his own people.  Clubs with that kind of setup seem to be to change manager fairly often without the outcome being disastrous.  That is exactly the kind of setup XM succeeded in at Watford.  He didn’t need to be a squad builder, just a coach.  The consequence of changing the recruitment side of things too often is you end up with a squad that’s like a jigsaw puzzle with the wrong pieces.  It’s starting to look like that’s what we’ve ended ip with…afuckinggain.

Though I completely agree that having ten year olds playing the same formation as the 1st team to “create an identity” is complete nonsense.  By the time some of them have made it at senior level, the chances are that formation will be completely out of fashion.

Just now, owl71 said:

Though I completely agree that having ten year olds playing the same formation as the 1st team to “create an identity” is complete nonsense.  By the time some of them have made it at senior level, the chances are that formation will be completely out of fashion.

And will have switched to playing in goal.