Crucible Snooker

MPB

5 years left on the deal to keep the World Championships at the Crucible...current 950 capacity venue being criticized by players who say it's too cramped ....

Hearn wants to keep it in the city but in a bigger venue.... rumblings of moving the championship away from Sheffield...!

Surely to God the council can't sleepwalk into another fuck up?

They've been talking about moving it for the past 20 years, I think it's a cracking venue for it, been a fair few times, I know some moan but there's plenty of the players love it too, it has all the history and tradition of the tournament there, that'll all be lost if they start shifting it about.

57 minutes ago, MPB said:

One other alternative was to hold the earlier rounds in different venues around the City Centre then have the last 8 games at the Crucible without the divider......like Wimbledon tennis.....

One of the players (Robertson i think), said the same in an interview the other day.

So it's a no from me.

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Sheffield could do with a medium size venue bang in the City Centre.  Been to both Hull Arena and dare I say it Leeds Arena and both very good.

Something of this ilk could house the snooker.  Would the Cole Brothers footprint be suitable ? 

That's the plan apparently, a smaller arena in the centre per summat I read earlier. 

They argue that the arena would survive on the sports side of things. 

On 24/04/2022 at 07:35, Tylluan said:

Wouldn't that kill off the City Hall as a music venue?

City Hall is not a major venue where bands go - would say more stuff linked to musical theatre, aging rock stars such as Hi Ho Silver Linings Jeff Beck and tribute acts.

Just looked on current listings and there is Simon and Oscar from Ocean Colour Scene, ABC, Adam Ant, Ronan Keating, Marillion and Squeeze.

Didn't expect to find a Jeff Beck reference in the snooker section but ..

It is totally unfair to include Jeff Beck in with the group of acts mentioned above and the usual has beens and tribute acts

First off Hi Ho Silver Lining could not be further from his style of music - he recorded it as a one off in the late 60s and has never done anything remotely like it since or before and as far as I know has never performed it live in his shows. I have seen him a couple of times over the years and he has in fact only ever played instrumentals - never a song in sight - in fact I don't remember him even talking to the audience. When I went to see him I had to keep explaining to people that it wouldn't be an evening of HHSL type songs all night

He has been and still is an absolutely sensational guitarist

• Thanks 1

Must admit...I would've expected HHSL....

Just seen he's playing the City Hall...as Hirsty's said.....the Royal Albert Hall (twice!)...and Symphony Hall in Brum to name but a few......he must have a hell of a loyal following.....and here's me thinkin ge would be on the small venue/pub circuit....

13 hours ago, MPB said:

Ronnie in control with this.... currently 10 - 4.....Trump knocking some decent balls in....could be tight but I really can't see Ronnie losing this...

Think Trump is shattered from the epic battle with Williams, what a Semi Final that was, heartbreaking ine had to lose tbh!

Ronnie is on fire at the moment, no one can come near him when he's knocking balls in the way he is, they are going in from every angle going, hopefully Trump will come out this afternoon & win 2/3 on the bounce to make a game of it.....but can't see pass a Rocket win 

On 22/04/2022 at 17:39, Reesh said:

That's the plan apparently, a smaller arena in the centre per summat I read earlier. 

They argue that the arena would survive on the sports side of things. 

I saw some pictures of some sort of purpose built venue for the snooker the other day, looked quite smart. But as others have said, the crucible is where it's been for as long as I remember. Leave it there, the big time flash fuckers should shut their trap and get on with it. 

Was thinking when they were on about The Crucible on Monday nights show as an alteration and not sure if the calendar allows but look at the possibility of having the single table set up from the Quarter Finals as opposed to the Semis. 

Would mean starting the tournament a couple of days earlier.

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint

Nah, it devalues the achievement of getting to the semi finals, John Parrot had it spot on saying it should drive you on to get to the single table set up, bit like still having the FA Cup semis at neutral grounds and not Wembley.

I've still not forgiven John Parrot for beating Jimmy White in the final 30 odd years ago though, Scouse c#%t 

• 1 year later...

Hear Barry Hearn has been putting noises out that The Crucible is too small and Sheffield Council have to think about future offerings when the contract is up in 2027. 

Time to build a multi use venue in the City Centre where Cole Brothers is.  Make it 4000 capacity and can cater for gigs and also have layout amended for the snooker. 

* Funnily enough same as what I put above 2 years ago !

Edited by Hirstys 12th Pint
  • Like 1