Bannan to stay as ….

• 3 weeks later...

Xisco Munoz says he doesn't want Sheffield Wednesday to be solely reliant on Barry Bannan next season. The Owls' long-serving skipper is entering his ninth year at the club.

Back in May, the Scotsman sealed what he described as "the best moment of my life" as he led the team to Wembley success in the play-off final. Under Darren Moore, and like pretty much all the previous managers he has played under at Hillsborough, Bannan was the main man with most attacks going through the 33-year-old.
He contributed a total of 20 goals and assists - the second-highest within the squad. Under new boss Munoz the Owls' style of play differs slightly. He wants his team to enjoy plenty of the ball and to make use of the wide areas. In the clutch of friendly outings so far Bannan's impact has been diminished slightly with his time in possession in Munoz's preferred system greatly reduced.

Whilst the new manager has yet to go as far as to even try and commit the cardinal sin of any Wednesday manager, i.e. dropping Bannan, there does look to be a lessening of the responsibilities heaped on the midfielder's shoulders.

When quizzed on this by Yorkshire Live , the Spaniard explained: "You have to think if Barry is coming back and taking the ball then it's a safe (situation). But I want the situation where we're playing better and he's not just coming to take the ball. But also I don't just want to improve him at the expense of another three or four players.

"This solution is clear because this is how it was last year. I try to give another solution because if Barry is injured then what can I do? I'm not thinking about only today, I'm thinking about two weeks, three weeks' time. I have to think how I can improve the centre-backs, what I want from the full-backs, what I want from Bakinson etc. It's simple, you come, take the ball and play forward."

When asked if Bannan therefore has to sacrifice some of his own individual ability for the greater good of the team, Munoz responded: "No. I want to push the players' physical conditions and find out about them in difficult situations. I also want to build the team. We can play simple but I don't want that. I want the centre-backs thinking about what is happening, the full-backs thinking about what's happening. I know exactly right now who has the capacity and who doesn't.

"If always you give the responsibility to him (Bannan) it's okay but maybe he is only one of the solutions. But then after if he is injured, maybe we need something else. The players need to understand about different situations and other people have to take responsibility in these situations."

On 11/07/2023 at 14:27, Andyben said:

Palmer club captain on games played; Vaulks team captain 

There's not that much difference in the number of appearances Bannan and Palmer have for us...

Or are you just winding Walkers up? 😁

Edited by Otto_Man

3 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

if Barry is injured then what can I do? I'm not thinking about only today, I'm thinking about two weeks, three weeks' time. I have to think how I can improve the centre-backs, what I want from the full-backs, what I want from Bakinson etc. It's simple, you come, take the ball and play forward."

Interesting that he mentions Bakinson in there. Do you think he'd understand those instructions?

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Interesting that he mentions Bakinson in there. Do you think he'd understand those instructions?

I can't understand why he wouldn't, they're fairly clear instructions.

I suspect you've figured out where he's going with this, which I presume is; he's assessed the squad and suspects Bakinson may be unwilling or unable to carry out these instructions and he's putting him on notice...

6 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I can't understand why he wouldn't, they're fairly clear instructions.

I suspect you've figured out where he's going with this, which I presume is; he's assessed the squad and suspects Bakinson may be unwilling or unable to carry out these instructions and he's putting him on notice...

5 hours ago, Andyben said:

...or he thinks Bakinson is only DM who has ability to take ball from defenders in half turn and drive it forward.

Love Vaulks but got caught far too often last season facing out own goal 

As you may have seen, Xisco keeps switching our players between positions in friendly games, just to try them out in different rôles: not just between games but during one.  Pato and the young lad he swapped him round with on Tuesday, for instance.

There was one at Chezzy when at one point in the second half when Bakinson and Alimi-Adetoro seemed to be playing centre backs in a five, but with  the middle one completely missing.  He's certainly trying out plentiful possibilities.  

• Thanks 1

Bakinson cannot take the ball on the half turn. Neither could Adeniran. If we are asking central midfield players to do that, we haven’t got one at the club apart from Bannan, and he shouldn’t be doing it. We don’t have the players to work our way through the lines, and our centre halves, with the exception of Famewo are not comfortable receiving the ball.

If Xisco wants to try this, he needs 4 players who can actually do it in both defence and midfield, otherwise the better Championship clubs will press us to death and we’ll be giving the ball away 25 yards out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KrolMong said:

Bakinson cannot take the ball on the half turn. Neither could Adeniran. If we are asking central midfield players to do that, we haven’t got one at the club apart from Bannan, and he shouldn’t be doing it. We don’t have the players to work our way through the lines, and our centre halves, with the exception of Famewo are not comfortable receiving the ball.

If Xisco wants to try this, he needs 4 players who can actually do it in both defence and midfield, otherwise the better Championship clubs will press us to death and we’ll be giving the ball away 25 yards out.

We were doing that with a committed Lg2 side on Tuesday, never mind Championship opponents!  (The giving it away bit.)   

3 hours ago, KrolMong said:

And we struggled a bit with teams that did that last season

• 6 months later...

He's hoping to do his B in May and his A in July. He must be combining his paperwork if he's doing it that fast as that's a hell of a fast track. He's also got to be coaching somewhere to get his hours and dossier signed off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tylluan said:

He's hoping to do his B in May and his A in July. He must be combining his paperwork if he's doing it that fast as that's a hell of a fast track. He's also got to be coaching somewhere to get his hours and dossier signed off. 

Well he's managed us since 2018, which must count for something 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I am sure there are ways and means to get the hours in without actually doing the hours for these pro players 

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

I am sure there are ways and means to get the hours in without actually doing the hours for these pro players 

There used to be but there's been a bit of a clamp down since covid. People were submitting times when we were in lockdown. 

Llera came back and coached our 14s to get his badges done. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2024 at 22:09, Snap said:

Coach? Maybe? Be an ideal place for him to learn the ropes i'd have thought. Especially with the wealth of experience we have there right now. Make it happen DC.

I've often wondered why the club haven't come in for Connor Barron at Aberdeen?

Swansea had £500 000 knocked back for him but he will be free in the summer he is 21

Can do the defensive side of the game and is quite good technically at carrying the ball taking it in tight spaces and getting the ball forward 

Reminds me a lot of a young Bannon coming through if we beat the drop he could be a great signing who we could make a few quid on in a few years down the line

Only gonna get better his goal on Saturday was one of the best I've saw all season

5 minutes ago, Snap said:

Well he's going to be taking a haircut soon enough i'd have thought. Going to be interesting. His dead ball antics are garbage admittedly and it's good Vaulks has started taking a few and whilst his assists might not be brilliant he is pretty good at supplying the suppliers, some of the stuff he does down the left with Johnson is a sight to behold at times. You are correct though, they should be better.

Hopefully we're working on a replacement, don't know the lad that Hitler is on about above but you do have to be careful in the Scottish market. Maybe we should try the Polish market, sure Hitler would be up for that.

Wow.

Fuck you. That's an instant ban

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edward Hitler said:

I've often wondered why the club haven't come in for Connor Barron at Aberdeen?

Swansea had £500 000 knocked back for him but he will be free in the summer he is 21

Changed his agent at the beginning of December because his old one was being a dick with the club. The situation has thawed considerably and he'll sign a two year extension before the season ends. 

However, whether he's still at the club in September remains to be seen. There's a rumour he's only re-signing so the club get a bigger transfer fee and not just the academy fee. 

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Changed his agent at the beginning of December because his old one was being a dick with the club. The situation has thawed considerably and he'll sign a two year extension before the season ends. 

However, whether he's still at the club in September remains to be seen. There's a rumour he's only re-signing so the club get a bigger transfer fee and not just the academy fee. 

So he sounds an okay guy, yes?

Changed agent because he's a dick, Check

Re-signing to try and make money for the club that has tried to do the best for him, Check

Nothing like the Cuunts that we have had, Check

Don't know whether he is any good, but sounds a decent sort.

• Like 1