Brennan to stay???

I thought he looked quite a decent prospect in the few games he played for us. Depending on his injury recovery, I’d get him a half season loan for a league 1 side until/from January. If he does well, he could be ready to replace Iorfa. 

8 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

I thought he looked quite a decent prospect in the few games he played for us. Depending on his injury recovery, I’d get him a half season loan for a league 1 side until/from January. If he does well, he could be ready to replace Iorfa. 

😅

3 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Out since February with a dislocated shoulder and an operation with 4 pins?

The Grand Tour cycle lads (and lasses) dislocate their shoulder, shove it back in (usually themselves) in a minute or two and they’re back up and riding for another three weeks 

No one cares about cycling though

35 minutes ago, HarrySpeakup said:

Out since February with a dislocated shoulder and an operation with 4 pins?

The Grand Tour cycle lads (and lasses) dislocate their shoulder, shove it back in (usually themselves) in a minute or two and they’re back up and riding for another three weeks 

They will suffer for it in later life , Did mine playing Rugby still having problems years later

I hope he recovers and can force his way into our matchday setup. 
Thought he looked the better player out of him and Galvin when they both broke through initially. 

But, with our record of bringing players through being so abysmal, I expect he’ll be off.

Our numbers are no worse than anyone else's. Barnsley seem to have a reputation as a club that develops young players yet had exactly zero home grown players in their starting line up in the PO final.

I'm sure there will be odd examples, but genuinely don't believe there are too many teams have many more than 2 home grown players in their first 11

I get there may not be a huge proportion of players that do play in our first team, but I'm also talking about how few go on to be a massive success too. 

There's been some solid careers, as in they've been pros right to retirement but when was the last player we 'developed' as a youth who went on to big things? 

35 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I get there may not be a huge proportion of players that do play in our first team, but I'm also talking about how few go on to be a massive success too. 

There's been some solid careers, as in they've been pros right to retirement but when was the last player we 'developed' as a youth who went on to big things? 

Tony Crane apparently went big.

18 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Our numbers are no worse than anyone else's. Barnsley seem to have a reputation as a club that develops young players yet had exactly zero home grown players in their starting line up in the PO final.

I'm sure there will be odd examples, but genuinely don't believe there are too many teams have many more than 2 home grown players in their first 11

Yeah, he couldn't make it as he was playing in the champions league final, along with the Blaayaad that replaced him ...

Edited by Andyben

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Danny Care?

47 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Jamie Vardy 😄

Yeah I thought of Vardy, but I didn't offer him as a suggestion because, I'm not sure we could we say we developed him that much though Reesh? He left at 16 didn't he? 

When thinking of Walker, Stones, et al, they made their pro debuts and were sold onto bigger and better things.

22 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Using Liam Palmer's debut as a starting point here's how our rival academies have fared. 

Barnsley. 15 players playing at least 10 games. 505 games in total. £13.25m sales. 5 current academy players have featured in a combined 69 games this season. 

Sheffield United. 18 players playing at least 10 games. 624 games in total. £25.45m sales. 6 academy players have featured in a combined 24 games this season. 3 ex academy players still in the first team squad. 

Sheffield Wednesday. 7 players playing at least 10 games. 653 games in total but 546 of those are attributed to Palmer, Wildsmith, and Dawson. £575k sales. 3 academy players have featured in a combined 9 games this season. 2 of those players have since left the club for nothing. 

45 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Using Liam Palmer's debut as a starting point here's how our rival academies have fared. 

Barnsley. 15 players playing at least 10 games. 505 games in total. £13.25m sales. 5 current academy players have featured in a combined 69 games this season. 

Sheffield United. 18 players playing at least 10 games. 624 games in total. £25.45m sales. 6 academy players have featured in a combined 24 games this season. 3 ex academy players still in the first team squad. 

Sheffield Wednesday. 7 players playing at least 10 games. 653 games in total but 546 of those are attributed to Palmer, Wildsmith, and Dawson. £575k sales. 3 academy players have featured in a combined 9 games this season. 2 of those players have since left the club for nothing. 

That says a LOT

Harry Maguire did a piece for the FA about how he got into football. He was scouted by Barnsley at 9 years old and joined them. He only left for United only because Barnsley were teetering on administration and we're about to close their academy. 

Barnsley have a network within local areas where they actively encourage local teachers and JFC coaches to put names forward then they go and watch the kid. No stats, no analysis. They send someone to watch him. United used to do something similar but also actively scout other academies and go into the non leagues. 

As far as I know we aren't that active but it's really hard to find anything about how we recruit from 10 to 15.

14 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Presume that's not a net spend Ty, as the £1m the piggies got for Ramsdale is somewhat undermined but the eye watering £18.5m they had to pay to buy him back? Also keen to know if the figures include the likes of Brooks and Adams who played their youth football elsewhere?

Who are those last sentence two, Ty?  

My friend has a lad who is only 7,  but is part of United’s ‘elite’ group. He was at Chesterfield, then Derby, and now he’s been picked up by United. In this elite group there are 3 lads including him who are all big Wednesday fans, and come from South Sheffield and North Derbyshire. Pretty much every club in the region came to watch them - so United, Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Mansfield, Derby, Forest and County.

The one team that didn’t? Wednesday. 

Harry Maguire did a piece for the FA about how he got into football. He was scouted by Barnsley at 9 years old and joined them. He only left for United only because Barnsley were teetering on administration and we're about to close their academy. 

Barnsley have a network within local areas where they actively encourage local teachers and JFC coaches to put names forward then they go and watch the kid. No stats, no analysis. They send someone to watch him. United used to do something similar but also actively scout other academies and go into the non leagues. 

As far as I know we aren't that active but it's really hard to find anything about how we recruit from 10 to 15.

When I was Coaching my lads Junior team up until last year we had United Scouts come and watch twice.  They actually told us they were coming. 

Not sure if this is normal practice ?

We also had Heckingbottom watching us at training - only by default though as his Daughter was playing on next pitch. 

4 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Presume that's not a net spend Ty, as the £1m the piggies got for Ramsdale is somewhat undermined but the eye watering £18.5m they had to pay to buy him back? Also keen to know if the figures include the likes of Brooks and Adams who played their youth football elsewhere?

Didn't include Adams as he started playing 1st team games more or less straight away. Brooks joined United's u18s after being released by Man City. I've only used Ramsdale's initial sale to Bournemouth after he'd only played 2 FA cup games for United. It's why I used the terminology 'sales' and not revenue or profit.

He joined on July 1st 2014. His first first team outing was August 30th 2016 as a sub in the EFL Trophy. His only other outing in the 16/17 was an FA cup game in November. He was an unused sub in 6 league games and made his league debut at the start of the 17/18 season. Between July 2014 and August 2017 he predominantly played for their 18s and 23s apart from 5 games at Halifax on a month loan. 

But if you want to take out his £11.3m then the pigs have still done £14m in sales. Still have 3 ex academy players in their squad and gave game time to 6 current academy players in a promotion winning season. 

If you take a look at our current crop of u18s there's 8 that haven't been through our youth system. 9 if you count Charles who was on Man City's books until he was 15.

Hagan came from Chelsea, Durrant from Blackburn, Agbontohoma via Arsenal and Southampton. Adedoyin at Everton. At various times these were all in and around the first team squad but we did nothing with them. Is that just taking scraps that come out way or is our player sourcing method that bad?

And when we find a 'reject' who's good enough to play first team football we run their contracts down, Adeniran, FDB, Urhoghide, to the point where we release them or give them an opportunity to go elsewhere. 

Let's be fucking honest there's almost no point developing our own as the EPPP model allows them to get poached for next to nowt, we lost two to Brentford last year ffs.

It's more common picking up when the big boys cull em at 16/17.

• Like 2