Jump to content

Do we just need three wins?


Recommended Posts

Flip knows, 73 points would have been adequate in the past at game 46 but gets you no better than 7th at game 41/42

I am sure with sides playing each other that would be adequate, whether we are good enough to get there is another thing entirely.

MK are on a 15 match unbeaten run

Wycombe in real form when it matters

Crewe a banana skin given they know their fate

Fleetwood will be fighting or down

Pompey Hirst Junior yep

More pertinent for me is the lack of a killer instinct in our own squad, created in part by the Moore methods. We need to be more ruthless, I would prefer that to be in a positive manner of scoring 2nd goals not employing dark arts shithousery 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Not the easiest of run ins, 

MK Dons (A)

Crewe (H)

Wycombe (A)

Fleetwood (A)

Pompy (H)

Not as tough as Plymouth’s.

Sunderland (h)

Wigan (a)

MK (h)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, cheat said:

Not as tough as Plymouth’s.

Sunderland (h)

Wigan (a)

MK (h)

They're in a much better starting position, though, imo.  Points in hand, not just in prospect. Also physically: our last week will be tough. 

I'd swap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

They're in a much better starting position, though, imo.  Points in hand, not just in prospect. Also physically: our last week will be tough. 

I'd swap. 

True, but I stand by my belief that nine points from our five games should be achievable, and I could easily see Plymouth only getting four from those fixtures. That would see us on the same points, their goal difference is two better than ours at the moment.

If we were to win tonight would you still swap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cheat said:

True, but I stand by my belief that nine points from our five games should be achievable, and I could easily see Plymouth only getting four from those fixtures. That would see us on the same points, their goal difference is two better than ours at the moment.

If we were to win tonight would you still swap?

Quite possibly not, but that's a big if.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/04/2022 at 12:04, cheat said:

True, but I stand by my belief that nine points from our five games should be achievable, and I could easily see Plymouth only getting four from those fixtures. That would see us on the same points, their goal difference is two better than ours at the moment.

If we were to win tonight would you still swap?

No, I wouldn't now. 

I'm still feeling chicken about us though.   I really hope we've got more players available Tuesday than we did have last night, particularly central defenders.  Centre mid is starting to fill out nicely though, subject to Luongo's status. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

No, I wouldn't now. 

I'm still feeling chicken about us though.   I really hope we've got more players available Tuesday than we did have last night, particularly central defenders.  Centre mid is starting to fill out nicely though, subject to Luongo's status. 

I don’t want to get complacent about Tuesday, but it really should be the game where we can get by with a few absentees.

Surely the players we had available last night should be capable of getting a win, especially as they managed to do it against the form team of the division.

I wouldn’t be rushing Hutch, Luongo or Dean back if there’s any doubt about them. We’ve enough options at centre half, and last night’s midfield three set up of Byers taking the holding role and Dele-Bashiru and Bannan in the forward roles worked really well.

Get those absentees right for the tougher challenge at Wycombe next weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, cheat said:

I don’t want to get complacent about Tuesday, but it really should be the game where we can get by with a few absentees.

Surely the players we had available last night should be capable of getting a win, especially as they managed to do it against the form team of the division.

I wouldn’t be rushing Hutch, Luongo or Dean back if there’s any doubt about them. We’ve enough options at centre half, and last night’s midfield three set up of Byers taking the holding role and Dele-Bashiru and Bannan in the forward roles worked really well.

Get those absentees right for the tougher challenge at Wycombe next weekend.

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cheat said:

I don’t want to get complacent about Tuesday, but it really should be the game where we can get by with a few absentees.

Surely the players we had available last night should be capable of getting a win, especially as they managed to do it against the form team of the division.

I wouldn’t be rushing Hutch, Luongo or Dean back if there’s any doubt about them. We’ve enough options at centre half, and last night’s midfield three set up of Byers taking the holding role and Dele-Bashiru and Bannan in the forward roles worked really well.

Get those absentees right for the tougher challenge at Wycombe next weekend.

All perfectly logical and I agree about not rushing 'knock' victims back: Storey copped one second half per the long highlights, btw.   BUT, we need to be careful of giving 'second string' players a run out beyond that, IMO.  The team we send out must not have picked up the slightest subliminal hint of "he must think these are a pushover". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MPB said:

Absolutely this!!!!

 

Don't mess about with the momentum Daz......

You need to have a word with loads of our fans on Twitter: plenty wanting Dunks dropping on the basis of Saturday night.  Amazing how many wanted team changing around - one even calling for Naymarve at centre half again! - just to avoid playing him tonight.  One plank even wanted Palmer dropping as well.  

They were basically calling for the very thing that DM has been complained about so much: unnecessarily changing the team.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Dunkley needs a run of games to get him back up & running & into form, we are fast running out of time for him to get that confidence back.

Looking at the team vs MK, I'd totally forgotten about Brown.

Lucky lad!   🙂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the question, was “is three wins from five enough for top six?”, is now, “is one win from three enough?”

If that win is against Wycombe then yes, it’s job (top six) done. 

If we draw v Wycombe, only two more points would be needed to stay ahead of them. So 82 points obtained without another win would be enough. 

A defeat v Wycombe and a win and defeat from the last two and I think we will finish below Wycombe and Sunderland leaving us battling for sixth with Plymouth. I think they’ll win v MK, so we’ll miss out on GD. In this scenario, one win in the final three is not enough. We would need four points from Fleetwood / Portsmouth. Maybe even all six if Wycombe boost their GD and Plymouth get a result at Wigan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Reesh said:

Dunkley was fucking Woeful on Saturday though 

I was very nervous with him last night once he came on and for that reason can partly understand the back 3 we started with last night especially with the early attacking impetus. 

We need Dean, Hutch, Storey and Gibson fully fit for the remainder on the season with Palmer as back up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I was very nervous with him last night once he came on and for that reason can partly understand the back 3 we started with last night especially with the early attacking impetus. 

We need Dean, Hutch, Storey and Gibson fully fit for the remainder on the season with Palmer as back up. 

I'll be surprised if we see Dean again.  (And delighted.) Said it was his calf. That's what he injured early in his second game, if it's the same one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Run In

Wigan : Plymouth (H) Pompy (A) Shrewsbury (H) - 88 points

Rotherham : Oxford (H) Sunderland (A) Gillingham (H) - 83 points

MK Dons : Morecambe (H) Plymouth (A) - 83 points

SWFC : Wycombe (A) Fleetwood (A) Pompy (H) - 79 points 

Plymouth : Wigan (A) MK Dons (H) - 79 points 

Wycombe : SWFC (H) Burton (A) - 77 points 

Sunderland : Cambridge (H) Rotherham (H) Morecambe (A) - 77 points 

Oxford United : Rotherham (A) Doncaster (H) - 75 points

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oxford having a sniff again makes some of these games a bit more interesting. Some of the teams battling at the bottom will also make some sweat. 

Im hoping we don't need anything from the last game play offs wise. However needing a win for autos could mean the place is buzzing, I see Pompey are only getting 2k tickets 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Oxford having a sniff again makes some of these games a bit more interesting. Some of the teams battling at the bottom will also make some sweat. 

Im hoping we don't need anything from the last game play offs wise. However needing a win for autos could mean the place is buzzing, I see Pompey are only getting 2k tickets 

Pompey have sold 2k and requested a further 1k 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Must admit it raised an eyebrow for me. Always thought they were better than that, even if it's a mid day KO etc etc. It'll make for a better atmosphere 

Eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I thought they would / will bring more than 2k.

It's a dead rubber and a 12.30 kick off. 2k is fucking tremendous and probably the most I've ever seen em bring

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Reesh said:

It's a dead rubber and a 12.30 kick off. 2k is fucking tremendous and probably the most I've ever seen em bring

Great following, but imagine if we win next 2, and mk and rovrum results go our way they won’t know what’s hit em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Yeah can just imagine it now all the stories of having a season ticket every year of their life apart from last 3 etc etc 

Just as long as all those that followed the Trust's lead on demanding their ST money back are last in the fucking queue for any tickets

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...