Do we just need three wins?

cheat

Flip knows, 73 points would have been adequate in the past at game 46 but gets you no better than 7th at game 41/42

I am sure with sides playing each other that would be adequate, whether we are good enough to get there is another thing entirely.

MK are on a 15 match unbeaten run

Wycombe in real form when it matters

Crewe a banana skin given they know their fate

Fleetwood will be fighting or down

Pompey Hirst Junior yep

More pertinent for me is the lack of a killer instinct in our own squad, created in part by the Moore methods. We need to be more ruthless, I would prefer that to be in a positive manner of scoring 2nd goals not employing dark arts shithousery 

16 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

They're in a much better starting position, though, imo.  Points in hand, not just in prospect. Also physically: our last week will be tough. 

I'd swap. 

True, but I stand by my belief that nine points from our five games should be achievable, and I could easily see Plymouth only getting four from those fixtures. That would see us on the same points, their goal difference is two better than ours at the moment.

If we were to win tonight would you still swap?

43 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

No, I wouldn't now. 

I'm still feeling chicken about us though.   I really hope we've got more players available Tuesday than we did have last night, particularly central defenders.  Centre mid is starting to fill out nicely though, subject to Luongo's status. 

I don’t want to get complacent about Tuesday, but it really should be the game where we can get by with a few absentees.

Surely the players we had available last night should be capable of getting a win, especially as they managed to do it against the form team of the division.

I wouldn’t be rushing Hutch, Luongo or Dean back if there’s any doubt about them. We’ve enough options at centre half, and last night’s midfield three set up of Byers taking the holding role and Dele-Bashiru and Bannan in the forward roles worked really well.

Get those absentees right for the tougher challenge at Wycombe next weekend.

17 minutes ago, cheat said:

I don’t want to get complacent about Tuesday, but it really should be the game where we can get by with a few absentees.

Surely the players we had available last night should be capable of getting a win, especially as they managed to do it against the form team of the division.

I wouldn’t be rushing Hutch, Luongo or Dean back if there’s any doubt about them. We’ve enough options at centre half, and last night’s midfield three set up of Byers taking the holding role and Dele-Bashiru and Bannan in the forward roles worked really well.

Get those absentees right for the tougher challenge at Wycombe next weekend.

This

So the question, was “is three wins from five enough for top six?”, is now, “is one win from three enough?”

If that win is against Wycombe then yes, it’s job (top six) done. 

If we draw v Wycombe, only two more points would be needed to stay ahead of them. So 82 points obtained without another win would be enough. 

A defeat v Wycombe and a win and defeat from the last two and I think we will finish below Wycombe and Sunderland leaving us battling for sixth with Plymouth. I think they’ll win v MK, so we’ll miss out on GD. In this scenario, one win in the final three is not enough. We would need four points from Fleetwood / Portsmouth. Maybe even all six if Wycombe boost their GD and Plymouth get a result at Wigan.

16 hours ago, Reesh said:

Dunkley was fucking Woeful on Saturday though 

I was very nervous with him last night once he came on and for that reason can partly understand the back 3 we started with last night especially with the early attacking impetus. 

We need Dean, Hutch, Storey and Gibson fully fit for the remainder on the season with Palmer as back up. 

• Like 1

Run In

Wigan : Plymouth (H) Pompy (A) Shrewsbury (H) - 88 points

Rotherham : Oxford (H) Sunderland (A) Gillingham (H) - 83 points

MK Dons : Morecambe (H) Plymouth (A) - 83 points

SWFC : Wycombe (A) Fleetwood (A) Pompy (H) - 79 points 

Plymouth : Wigan (A) MK Dons (H) - 79 points 

Wycombe : SWFC (H) Burton (A) - 77 points 

Sunderland : Cambridge (H) Rotherham (H) Morecambe (A) - 77 points 

Oxford United : Rotherham (A) Doncaster (H) - 75 points

Oxford having a sniff again makes some of these games a bit more interesting. Some of the teams battling at the bottom will also make some sweat. 

Im hoping we don't need anything from the last game play offs wise. However needing a win for autos could mean the place is buzzing, I see Pompey are only getting 2k tickets 

11 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

Oxford having a sniff again makes some of these games a bit more interesting. Some of the teams battling at the bottom will also make some sweat. 

Im hoping we don't need anything from the last game play offs wise. However needing a win for autos could mean the place is buzzing, I see Pompey are only getting 2k tickets 

Pompey have sold 2k and requested a further 1k 

22 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Yeah can just imagine it now all the stories of having a season ticket every year of their life apart from last 3 etc etc 

Just as long as all those that followed the Trust's lead on demanding their ST money back are last in the fucking queue for any tickets

• Like 1