Atmosphere at Hillsborough

Moore and Smith going on about the crowd being so important well we’ve always turned up unlike the team in the past. 

Sometimes I think it has affected us in a negative way too much pressure rather than positively.

Just my opinion but Bannan waving the crowd on really annoyed me 

1 hour ago, HappyOwl said:

Moore and Smith going on about the crowd being so important well we’ve always turned up unlike the team in the past. 

Sometimes I think it has affected us in a negative way too much pressure rather than positively.

I can't really comment on current atmosphere as I have been watching from afar.

But the reality is 25 plus years of shite is very difficult to displace. Certainly within the last few years the quality of the games, the mind numbing tedium of some of the styles of play, the questionable application of some players, it's more a surprise fans still turn up.

I have not lost my support for the Club, what I have is the mo jo to drag my arse to watch in person. Part of that isn't football reasons more personal.

The atmosphere will however be fine if they deliver on the pitch, and frankly after the forementioned 25 years the onus is on them to do so not for the fans to give unconditional backing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Players right across the world do it, seen it tonight in Madrid.

To me, it’s normally done following a winning of a corner or something similar. Just trying to get the crowd bouncing off you and in most cases it’s just spontaneous and rarely ever a criticism 

You might need a hobby other than Wednesday if that winds you up. Should be enjoyed 

Yes a hobby that doesn’t leave me pissed off every year in the month of May would be good 👍

3 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

Genuinely can't decide what's the bigger contradiction, your posts or your username. 

Having a go at random players in the past for not giving a shit whilst simultaneously digging out Bannan for...giving a shit 🤔

10 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

We’ve always turned up, but not always turned up the noise. While I understand there’s a debate as to who’s the motivating factor in that, should we drive them, vice versa or a bit of both… But there’s been times this season when it’s been quiet. 

We generate noise around kick off then the atmosphere seems to be dictated by the next 10 mins or so of the game. We’re not as ‘instinctive’ as we were in our support IMO, we’re driven by those on the pitch more IMO than us driving the players. Until… it’s needed if we push in the last 10 mins of a game for a winner. 
As MK said, you can’t just brush over the last 20 years being by and large bang average. But, next Friday we don’t need to think of that. If we (players, fans, the lot) want to give each other the best chance of this modicum of success, then we have to be together all the way through. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Genuinely can't decide what's the bigger contradiction, your posts or your username. 

Having a go at random players in the past for not giving a shit whilst simultaneously digging out Bannan for...giving a shit 🤔

Which random players is that then?

I haven't been to that many games but the atmosphere was cranked up v Plymouth because it felt a pivotal game. The MK one where the players upped the tempo in the 2nd half and turned it around.

The myth however is that it was always better in the past. It really wasn't, many an afternoon it was as damp squib as the weather. You simply recall the good days 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Which random players is that then?

Whichever ones you were talking about when you said "well we’ve always turned up unlike the team in the past."

Unless you meant this season, which would seem incredibly harsh given we've only lost one match at home all season.

• Haha 1

I thought it was a fairly decent atmosphere on Sunday. Big crowd but no real negative noise despite a fairly low tempo performance.

I think people probably realise that for us to go up via the playoffs we need to be behind the team. As has been discussed and stated, the inquest will start if we don’t get promoted.

Barring a collapse on Friday I would expect the home leg atmosphere to be decent.

• Like 1

Not sure about the atmosphere in the office as I just broke my Sheffield Wednesday mug 

Though given I must have had this for at least 5 years it can hardly be the portent of good luck 

The nice ladies in the office have arranged to get me another - albeit when she googled Sheffield Wednesday Mugs it came up with a picture of a full S6 and said about 32000 here 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Not sure about the atmosphere in the office as I just broke my Sheffield Wednesday mug 

Though given I must have had this for at least 5 years it can hardly be the portent of good luck 

The nice ladies in the office have arranged to get me another - albeit when she googled Sheffield Wednesday Mugs it came up with a picture of a full S6 and said about 32000 here 

Its a sign, like the sacrificial lamb in exchange for success.  Just need someone to nobble the gold elephants now.

8 hours ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I thought it was a fairly decent atmosphere on Sunday. Big crowd but no real negative noise despite a fairly low tempo performance.

I think people probably realise that for us to go up via the playoffs we need to be behind the team. As has been discussed and stated, the inquest will start if we don’t get promoted.

Barring a collapse on Friday I would expect the home leg atmosphere to be decent.

If we have a positive result, be it a decent draw or have a lead. I reckon it'll be cracking. BUT and I hate to even think this, we'd need an early goal to stave off the wobble that some would have. 

7 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Its a sign, like the sacrificial lamb in exchange for success.  Just need someone to nobble the gold elephants now.

My favourite is still when someone on here put on their favourite Owls related socks and promptly stepped in some cat sick.  A succinct metaphore for the typical Wednesday experience!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2