England squad

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Mar/16/england-mens-senior-squad-named-for-italy-and-ukraine-euro-qualifiers-20231603

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Newcastle United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),  Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford)

I don't see how Kalvin Phillips is back in there, and it's interesting that Toney is too... He's not been that hot of late has he? And I don't mean in his gambling efforts (I GENUINELY haven't noticed or looked re his form)

6 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Mar/16/england-mens-senior-squad-named-for-italy-and-ukraine-euro-qualifiers-20231603

I don't see how Kalvin Phillips is back in there, and it's interesting that Toney is too... He's not been that hot of late has he? And I don't mean in his gambling efforts (I GENUINELY haven't noticed or looked re his form)

Kelvin Phillip's can't even get a game at Man City, surely there are other players who deserve an England call up in front of him??

Sancho (Manchester United)

Solly March (Brighton)

James Ward Prowse (Southampton)

Joe Willock (Newcastle)

Jacob Ramsey (Aston Villa)

2 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Kelvin Phillip's can't even get a game at Man City, surely there are other players who deserve an England call up in front of him??

Solly March (Brighton)

Joe Willock (Newcastle)

How he keeps missing out is beyond me. 

Tomori has actually had a bit of a mare this season, compared to last. It doesn't help that he lost his midfield defensive screen for a lot of this season but it's left him horribly exposed at times. Even given where Palace are Guehi's stats (especially interceptions) are better and he's in the PL. 

Ward-Prowse doesn't play in the same position as Kalvin Phillips and Phillips gets in because England are short of archetypal number 4 midfield sitters of which Southgate's formation and tactics depend on. It's why Henderson still keeps getting a shirt. Ward-Prowse would have to move and perform in European competition if he's to get in front of Mount, Bellingham, and Gallagher. There is an argument for him being in front of Maddison but Southampton play a 'different game' and he finds himself being this generation's Le Tissier. It's the same for Joe Willock. 

Edited by Tylluan

12 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

Solly March (Brighton)

Joe Willock (Newcastle)

As much as I like Sancho, he’s not getting regular football, and the position he plays is where we have lots of coverage.

As for the others, March and JWP are the two who have a chance.

Just on Tomori, been largely poor this season.

Centre half is a problem position sadly. We have elite full backs, but aside from Stones, no elite center halves.

29 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Why Tee?

If rather have our squad playing at top of PL and Champions League stages then be Scotland or Wales 

I just think there’s a fair amount of people who support clubs who aren’t in the Premier League who don’t take as much notice of England as their players aren’t involved.

Especially when the likes of Phillips, etc, still do when they don’t really or haven’t featured for their clubs.  I’m not disagreeing with you in that we should have the best playing for us, we shouldn’t pay lip service to those below ‘just because’. 

But, I do think there’s plenty of people who have the opinion that English football is much more than the Premier League, so would welcome it. 

There’s a fair few players who have been stars in the Championship and made the step up to the prem and either been an immediate success or moved on and been a success.

There’s a fair few in the current squad who have started a level down and improved as they stepped up. I don’t see an issue with looking in the second division, especially at younger players who you know look a cut above.

My dad repeatedly also makes this point. How many of the England team are truly world class? We laud over the likes of Foden, Saka, Kane etc. I think we throw that phrase around too easily.

For example, if I was picking my definition of world class, and these are players who would get in every single other international or club team in the world. It’s a short list.

Walker and Kane? And Kane only because the type of player he is does not really exist now.

There is potentially a growing case for Saka and Rashford now. Foden and Bellingham are very very close to that level.

Now, when I think world class, how many players can win a game on their own? Those last four are capable, but they aren’t there yet. 

Edited by KrolMong