Body cams for officials in adults grass roots football

HoylandOwl

Who is going to pay for it?

Is the data going to be centralised, even on a local level? It throws up all sorts of problems if your league player registration papers don't include a filming clause. 

How far down the pyramid is the trial going to go?

Is there a player opt out if they don't want to be filmed?

They've tried this in US grassroots 'soccer', where they have a problem with spectator violence towards officials and it's made no difference to attacks. If anything the number has gone up. 

Now the refs just refuse to do certain leagues and venues and certain schools are having real problems fulfilling fixtures and are getting fined for it. 

26 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Who is going to pay for it?

Is the data going to be centralised, even on a local level? It throws up all sorts of problems if your league player registration papers don't include a filming clause. 

How far down the pyramid is the trial going to go?

Is there a player opt out if they don't want to be filmed?

They've tried this in US grassroots 'soccer', where they have a problem with spectator violence towards officials and it's made no difference to attacks. If anything the number has gone up. 

Now the refs just refuse to do certain leagues and venues and certain schools are having real problems fulfilling fixtures and are getting fined for it. 

There’s quite a few videos on YouTube showing it too!

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

There’s quite a few videos on YouTube showing it too!

I follow a US collegiate ref called Brian Barlow across social media and he's picking up quite a lot of momentum highlighting these attacks. He's appeared on local and national TV and radio and helped secure several convictions by creating a platform for officials of all sports to come forward with backing behind them. 

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I follow a US collegiate ref called Brian Barlow across social media and he's picking up quite a lot of momentum highlighting these attacks. He's appeared on local and national TV and radio and helped secure several convictions by creating a platform for officials of all sports to come forward with backing behind them. 

An English mate of mine when I lived in Saudi Arabia reffed in a 'Little League" which was for American kids, maybe about 7 years old. I couldn't believe the tales he told the rest of us about the hostility and aggression of the parents "every game", so I actually got out of bed early one weekend to see for myself. My god!  Some of the U.S. parents were losing it on the sidelines so badly that I found that I'd involuntarily put some distance between me and them. Some of the tiny kids were running about in tears, frightened by the fanatical screeching and bellowing from the pitchside.  

There were no linesmen so my mate was trying to regulate throw ins and offside himself. That didn't help. After a while Mel stopped the game and came across to the parents and told them that if he had to stop the game again because of the effect their behaviour was having on the little children, plus the non-stop abuse he was receiving, he'd abandon the game. It was quieter for the remainder but I heard what they were saying about him. That he was the cause of the problem, not them. Apparently they thought their behaviour was normal.

Tell you what, if that's what little kids' matches are like in the U. S., I'd hate to see what adult behaviour towards refs is like when those kids have grown up in that tradition!  

@Owling_Wolf

The kids, in general, are ok as they grow up. The good ones don't want to jeopardise any chance of a college/uni/pro contract by getting banned. The teens who fade tend to drop away completely. As an adult sport it tends to only be the Hispanic and Europeans that play in the recreational leagues. 

But the parents are something else. They don't see the game in any sport. They only see their child and a loss affecting their child's chances of going all the way. But how many towns are full of ex high school quarterbacks, pitchers, defensive guards, etc who didn't make it. 

But there's an interesting stand point starting to develop this season. The better colleges and universities are now holding parents to account. They're not taking kids who's parents have history at games. There's some massive fines being handed out along with school wide sport suspensions and points deductions for crowd disturbances. The schools can't afford it so aren't taking kids where their parents might be a liability. 

Improving Refereeing from the top level would be a better start. Don't need to get aggro if the decisions are generally right and explained why they ignored certain decisions etc.

Is old mother Riley still the chief? How that useless prick got there says a lot 

12 hours ago, Skamp said:

In fairness to referees,  their entire position has been undermined with endless, slow motion analysis and the introduction of VAR. 

Anybody know what percentage of decisions are being overturned by VAR these days? 

Don’t know the numbers, but you have a very valid point, Skamp.

There’s only one reason why VAR came in for me. Money. Decisions in the top games could cost millions, and clubs would be looking to sue refs for shit decisions, that have had massive consequences…. (If they haven’t already)

16 hours ago, Skamp said:

In fairness to referees,  their entire position has been undermined with endless, slow motion analysis and the introduction of VAR. 

Anybody know what percentage of decisions are being overturned by VAR these days? 

If there wasn't so many blatant errors and allowed to continue without scrutiny then there wouldn't be so much analysis.

Far too often I come away from games with the thought the Ref's anti Wednesday or that they've got a bet on.

34 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

If there wasn't so many blatant errors and allowed to continue without scrutiny then there wouldn't be so much analysis.

Far too often I come away from games with the thought the Ref's anti Wednesday or that they've got a bet on.

But that's half of the talking points post the game. While refereeing standards should be looked at, VAR hasn't made them better. It's made them over analyse things, and STILL get so many things wrong, which makes a mockery of why VAR was supposedly introduced.