Ex Owls coach behind International resurgence

Reesh

Yep. Answered an ad on the back of the FA coaches magazine. Was working at Rotherham Utd at the time but had just got divorced and thought I'd give it a try as an impulse thing. Had to coach QPR's YTS lads in front of their high commissioner. Lost out to a fella from Southampton, can't remember his name, but he walked after 2 months and they gave it to a Yugoslavian who'd settled on the island. 

10 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Yep. Answered an ad on the back of the FA coaches magazine. Was working at Rotherham Utd at the time but had just got divorced and thought I'd give it a try as an impulse thing. Had to coach QPR's YTS lads in front of their high commissioner. Lost out to a fella from Southampton, can't remember his name, but he walked after 2 months and they gave it to a Yugoslavian who'd settled on the island. 

Well, as you'll well know, if you don't ask you don't get: just a pity you got pipped. That could have been fascinating.   I once applied for a non-football job abroad in a national newspaper here, thought I'd got no chance and was amazed when I got it!  Best thing I ever did.

• Like 1

@Owling_Wolf

Took myself off round Europe instead to broaden my coaching experience. Blagged my way into spending time at Ajax, Barca, Bruge and Lens as an observer coach. 

Came back with all these new ideas and instantly found myself unemployable in mid 90s English football. Didn't get another pro club coach role til Donny in 98 with Danny Bergara and they couldn't pay me. 

Still wouldn't have changed that path though and still use what I learnt in the 90s today

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

@Owling_Wolf

Took myself off round Europe instead to broaden my coaching experience. Blagged my way into spending time at Ajax, Barca, Bruge and Lens as an observer coach. 

Came back with all these new ideas and instantly found myself unemployable in mid 90s English football. Didn't get another pro club coach role til Donny in 98 with Danny Bergara and they couldn't pay me. 

Still wouldn't have changed that path though and still use what I learnt in the 90s today

Wow.  I bet that was interesting!  Nice places to be, too.  

Small world, too: Danny's daughter, the lovely Elena, was my Spanish teacher at night school.  

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

@Owling_Wolf

Thanks for sharing Ty.  

Be great to have an article by you on your Coaching experience / history / stories - obviously without naming individuals.