An old un remembers.

My father supported the club all his life and took me my first match in 1951. Apparently I saw Dooley but cannot remember that. Went to see all the club'steams when we could, Central League, B team fixtures, Northern Intermediate etc.,It became a love affair that has survived the ages. We have never been a really top side since WW2 but we've had our ups and downs. Some excellent seasons, a few ok seasons but a hell of a lot of meh seasons. The frustrating thing as you get older, (into my 70s) is that you have generally a shorter time for the expectations of a modicum of success to be achieved. I would like something good to happen but over recent years we have had a good few wage thieves, and managers who were not worthy of the job. I  enjoy the team and individuals when they give 100% effort and commitment and can forgive the odd mistake, we all make them, but over the past few seasons some of these mistakes seem to have become bad habits.

Edited by bricat
  • Like 2

I reckon we deserve and need a reight good go at it this season, bri. Something we actually enjoy whilst it's happening.  Teamwork, unity, success and full on support: the manager going for it and none of the debilitating injuries of the previous several seasons. Let's let this league and all of our fans see what this club is capable of.  

• Like 1

Interesting point, as the years roll by but also the changing ways of football and financial requirements, whether we will get back to the top flight.

Whilst my starting point was our lowest ebb point, it was thereafter an upward curve, culminating in a cup win, top 3 finish etc, in Europe. I quite liked that normal really.

30 years on and 22 since top flight football, it seems incredibly unlikely any of those pinnacles could ever be reached again.

I don't think the EPL is an impossibility, we knocked on that door so we could again IF the right set up was in place. I wonder how many that accepted the play off defeat with the nice day out mentality, now understand where some of us were coming from. The opportunity is a low chance in the first place, you can't presume it will come again. The whole DC era will be seen as a missed opportunity in my view.

As someone already re-aligning my commitment to attending on a week in basis, you do wonder if a prolonged period of being shite will accelerate the process to simply ad hoc attending.

I have certainly lost the whelm to do it on a cold Tuesday night 

Understand where bri is coming from but I try not to feel sorry for myself. I'm approaching mid 60s and the majority of watching us  has been shit. But I think of games that stand out to me with positive outcomes, 5-4 man ure, 3-1 l**ds FA cup elland rd, beating Southend to avoid div 4, pigs in semi, rumbleows cup win and others I could mention I don't think I'd feel better at those moments if we had won champs league. UTO

I was thinking about the ‘nice day out’ the other day actually.

Its still the only time I’ve seen Wednesday play at Wembley with my lad, and the excitement of being able to see our team play there from him and being able to share it will always live with me. 

We were both gutted, and I hope it happens again, but with a different result to banish that day. But it will always be a memory I cherish as I never watched us with my dad at Wembley. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Its still the only time I’ve seen Wednesday play at Wembley with my lad, and the excitement of being able to see our team play there from him and being able to share it will always live with me. 

We were both gutted, and I hope it happens again, but with a different result to banish that day. But it will always be a memory I cherish as I never watched us with my dad at Wembley. 

If we’d won that day I don’t think I’d have been any more elated than when we won the PO in Cardiff. The prize was bigger but they are all just great moments in my life of following that set of underachieving fuckers.

I still believe we'll get back up there and win something! I can't help it. Man City, Leicester, Southampton and Forest have all risen from the depths we're at and come good.

I think the key to getting it right will be the Academy though and starting to produce playable and saleable assets like Southampton do.

Edited by Kingys Ginger Mullet

9 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I took my lad, yep it was ok to go to Wembley but he just said to me on the train back "I just wanted to see us in the Premier League" resonated more.

Ok context is living round here all his mates supported a Premier League club, they have no idea or indeed care about our past. Still not sure my lad believes me when I mention we were good once.

How much sweeter is any trip to Wembley coming back with the trophy

9 hours ago, Kingys Ginger Mullet said:

I still believe we'll get back up there and win something! I can't help it. Man City, Leicester, Southampton and Forest have all risen from the depths we're at and come good.

I think the key to getting it right will be the Academy though and starting to produce playable and saleable assets like Southampton do.

I think it's getting harder to do this these days.

For example, I believe two of our most promising young players (Yogane (sp?) and Holland) have turned down scholarships with us and signed for Brentford. We don't seem to be providing a clear path through to the first team for our development players, which would be more likely to keep them here.

Cadamarteri is the next big hope though and thankfully he's signed professional terms. Get it right with him and it might set a good example for others to follow.

• Like 1

I understand that the pigs academy is in the top grade and for whatever reason (Middlewood?) we cannot achieve that status which apparently attracts good funding. The prevailing factor is whether promising young players can perform at senior levels.

Edited by bricat