Thoughts on new season

Hello! I'm posting on behalf of the Port Vale forum, OneValeFan. Each season we try and get the views of opposing fans to run as part of the build up to games so, if it's ok, I'd like to ask you a few questions? If you have anything you'd like to ask us, or to post a similar thing on the Vale forum, feel free to DM me. Thanks!

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 

2. On the pitch - what are your thoughts on the manager?

3. Off the pitch - what are your views on the board/owners?

4. Any thoughts/memories of previous encounters with the Vale? 

5. Where do you think you'll finish this season?

Good luck with your season (except when you play us, of course).

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 

Things have shifted somewhat, there seems to be much less of a scattergun approach. Liam Dooley, the CEO, seems to have made a massive difference in the absence of the chairman while he was out of the country. It seems far more stable than it’s been in a while.

Its strange, Darren Moore doesn’t really ‘ignite the passion’ with his interviews or seem to strike fear despite his size! However, towards the back end of last season, playoffs aside, we were flying at times. There’s no doubt it’s this season or bust for him, in the eyes of the fans at the very least.

3. Off the pitch - what are your views on the board/owners?

See answer 1, but also I think the chairman definitely has good intentions; but the execution of those intentions almost piled us into real danger. However, it seems those mistakes have been learned from, thankfully.

One of the first memories of playing Vale comes in our 90/91 season in division 2 when we were on the cusp of promotion to the top flight. A win could have put us up, but you lot went ahead, and a second half cross from Trevor Francis set up a leveller for David Hirst. We went up at home after beating Bristol City the following game. 

If we start like we ended the regular campaign last year, we’re going up. But we seem to be perennial slow starters, so that has to change.

But regardless, I’d be astonished if we’re not in and around the top 4 at the very worst.

Good luck with your season (except when you play us, of course).

• Like 1

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 
Define “recently”.

Generally, it’s been crap for nearly 25 years, with half a dozen good years. After another slump, post-the Carlos play off years, we seem to be turning it around again. Last season, although a disappointing ending, was, by and large, decent entertainment. Work to do though.

He’s been here long enough to form an opinion, but I still don’t know. Seems a nice chap and a good man manager that can entice players to come to Wednesday to play for him. But he seems tactically naive at times.
Came at a very difficult time, but he’s turning the tanker around. I hope he’s giving long enough to see it through.

When Chansiri arrived he promised what he couldn’t deliver, but genuinely believed that he would deliver. Gave desperate fans false hope which went against him when he failed to deliver promotion. Very naive at running a football club, not helped by dodgy advisors, but by chance or choice he seems to have taken a step back and the running of the club seems less chaotic. I think his intentions are still honourable, but he’s tightened the purse strings a little. Despite a lot of abuse, there is no serious sign that he’s going to do a Morris and pull the plug on the club.

Only memory of PV is my only visit to Burslem. Depressing: place, weather and game.

League cup about 10/15 years ago. Richard Hinds scored a late goal to give false hope of a come back. Game most remembered for Jeffers head butting the centre half, breaking his nose in the process, and getting sent off.

Third. There’ll be someone that puts it all together to thwart our season. Probably Ipswich and Derby, but could be any of several clubs.

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

One of the first memories of playing Vale comes in our 90/91 season in division 2 when we were on the cusp of promotion to the top flight. A win could have put us up, but you lot went ahead, and a second half cross from Trevor Francis set up a leveller for David Hirst. We went up at home after beating Bristol City the following game. 

Think we scored first, Tee

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 

We're taking small steps on, almost, a road to recovery. We seem to be going about business throughout the club in the right way. 

Last season he seemed to be overthinking the opposition too much. Before Christmas we seemed to be setting up for what they could bring, rather than let them worry about us. That cautiousness cost us automatic with the points we dropped. After Christmas we found a formation and a rhythm. It'll be interesting to see if his new acquisitions fit into the same formation. 

I think Chansiri has always had good intentions at heart but was naive when he arrived and was led to make some rash monetary decisions. Dooley has brought stability to the operations side of things and we seem to be taking small steps in the right direction and rebuilding properly. 

None what so ever, other than every now and again Tom Pope would get mentioned as a possible transfer target

Second, behind Peterborough.