Academy vacancies....

Maybe something for Tylluan in this lot?

The Sheffield Wednesday academy are recruiting for three roles;

Foundation Phase Manager

Youth Development Phase Manager

Youth Development Phase Assistant Manager

Click on the relevant links above for role specific duties, qualification requirements, skills and experience.

The closing date for applications is Wednesday 25 May.

Download an application form HERE.

Worked at the club before, albeit back in the 90s, but said never again as I couldn't separate the professional me from the supporter me. 

Also I don't think any of those roles would pay me what the new day job does, although the YDP manager does say Pro Licence desirable and they'd have to pay for someone with that. 

YDPMs and FPMs tend to move from club to club so we'll probably nick one from somewhere else. But, it's another positive step by the club to put structure and continuity in place in the right places. 

4 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I know it’s only desirable and not essential but potentially alienating a lot of qualified coaches asking for professional playing experience 

Praying Bullen doesn't apply. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I know it’s only desirable and not essential but potentially alienating a lot of qualified coaches asking for professional playing experience 

Unfortunately it's endemic in the professional game.

Makes you wonder if Houllier, Wenger, Rangnick, and Villas-Boas would have been given a chance today. 

But there is hope. There's a growing move in Portugal (and starting green shoots in Spain) for Supaliga clubs to promote successful youth team coaches (most of whom never played pro) rather than get an outside manager in. 

13 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Unfortunately it's endemic in the professional game.

Makes you wonder if Houllier, Wenger, Rangnick, and Villas-Boas would have been given a chance today. 

But there is hope. There's a growing move in Portugal (and starting green shoots in Spain) for Supaliga clubs to promote successful youth team coaches (most of whom never played pro) rather than get an outside manager in. 

Women I work with has a Son who Coaches at a very high Premier League Club at Under 23s level and understand he will be looking abroad for his next step as has probably got as far as he can in England what with not being an Ex Pro.

1 hour ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Women I work with has a Son who Coaches at a very high Premier League Club at Under 23s level and understand he will be looking abroad for his next step as has probably got as far as he can in England what with not being an Ex Pro.

That's another problem. Clubs like to have a 'name' for the purposes of status. Martin Keown is officially on Arsenal's roster as a coach and scout but he barely does either. If the find a defender they really want for their academy then he might make a phone call or two. 

There's a lot of decent non league clubs that would give a good 23s coach a go but he's probably on more now than they could offer. I did a bit abroad, in the 90s, but it hampered me so much as when I got back English clubs were still playing pub football and I'd got all these ideas like playing through the phases. 

Tell him to put in for our YDPM role. It should pay around £30-35k (maybe more) if we're doing it right but it's a logical step from 23s coaching.

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Tell him to put in for our YDPM role. It should pay around £30-35k (maybe more) if we're doing it right but it's a logical step from 23s coaching.

The Red Indian or the motorbike cop?

• Haha 3