Dear fans of Division 3 (as promised and as written by the fourmarys)

...Up yours! 

And I mean that sincerely from the bottom of my heart. 

Why? 

Well, therein lies a story, poppet.

I came across this board a few days before the opening day trip to Swindon.

I was curious to know what my fellow Wednesdayites were thinking prior to what was generally felt to be a humbling but potentially rewarding endeavour. 

There was a genuine excitement about the coming months. A chance to get back to our roots, so to speak. New grounds, new opponents, and even dare we think it a new Wednesday, reborn from the ashes of seven years of misery. A chance for those that didn't have 'golden deadwood' contracts to prosper and show what it meant to play for this club 

Scratch that. This BIG club.

But we'll get to that later. 

We knew that there would also be problems, naturally.

Our presence in this league would  give rise to the odd petty jealousy, though we figured that after the initial small town euphoria of sad teenagers from grim seaside villages or utterly charmless new towns wore-off, things would get back to normal and people would realise that us Owls are pragmatic bunch who knew that this would be no cake walk.

That initial impotent rage against the fallen 'big boys' had to dissipate, surely.

Schadenfreude is only ever a fleeting phenomenon after all. 

We didn't have any argument that I was aware of with any team in this league, bar the odd local tiff or two.

Many among us were keen to extend the hand of friendship to our  fellow football folk. (To a certain extent this has even been the case, I enjoyed the friendly trips to Peterborough and Wycombe immensely - and on further thought, the polite and pleasant supporters of these two clubs can exclude themselves from this rant). 

As an example, I and many other Owls, were keen to foster goodwill with Hartlepool given the sudden rash of links between our clubs and the vagaries of the fixture computer I wanted them to do well and I looked forward to having a good time against them, both at our place and theirs. 

They were just one of many clubs I looked forward to playing as equals for the first time. But the schadenfreude wasn't fleeting.

It became more jealous, bitter and hate-filled as time went by. Supporters of many different clubs decided to invite themselves by for a quick biscuit and a big 'fuck you' to the Wednesdayites.

Every day (try every hour) saw a new hero arise from Colchester or Plymouth or Grimsby or (with depressing regularity) Hartlepool to uphold the 'honour' of this division against these invading, unwelcome spoilt hordes. 

Arrogant! 

Fancy-Dans! 

You think you'll walk this division? 

Ha! You drew/lost! Not so arrogant now are you? 

Etcetera, et -bloody-cetera 

Never mind the truth, which was that no-one in the Wednesday realm, aside from a couple of young kids who should know better, had said anything to justify any such belief.  

The truth is of no import when there's fun to be had making baseless claims about people. 

The first couple of weeks it was understandable.

We're now ten weeks in and the phenomenon shows no sign of abating any time soon.

New allegations and accusers line up every day. 

It gets rather difficult to keep the strained smile on your face as you patiently explain once again to one's accuser that no, we don't believe we'll 'walk it' and 'yes, we know it'll be hard in this division'.

Its pointless mentioning the fact most Owls are painfully aware of the respect due to this league, as the accuser has already fucked off somewhere else pleased as punch at upholding the honour of the little guy. 

Yeah. Whatever. 

So bollocks to the lot of you.

l'm tired of playing nice with people who have obviously pre-judged me to my detriment. 

But that can't be it, surely, I hear you ask? That cannot be the sole reason for such an invective filled rant? 

You want another reason why? You want the reason that finally broke both the camel's  back and my strained tolerance? 

Fine, I'll give you a reason why.

I'll be generous and give you 6,464 reasons why. 

For now this week we face possibly the funniest excuse for a cheap pop at the 'big club' so far.

The Wednesday, apparently, are hate-filled and arrogant, not just for singing the light-hearted banter of 'You've Only Come To See The Wednesday'  at Bournemouth, but also for DARING to defend ourselves and assume that the midweek 8,000+ sellout that constituted their biggest home crowd of the season (copyright EVERY CLUB WE VISIT THIS SEASON), may, whisper it, have been boosted purely because it was the Wednesday they were playing.

'How dare you!' screamed the massed ranks of outraged Bournemouth fans.

'You dare imply that some of the home crowd were drawn to the game for any reason other than to see the mighty Red Army?

Why you arrogant...' 

6,464.  Bournemouth's crowd last Saturday Vs. Rushden. 

Sometimes you just get tired of fighting and defending yourself to people who don't  want to listen. 

The truth in this division is simple: Tell the truth or tell a lie. It matters not, as long as the Wednesday are wrong  So, to my fellow Wednesdayites I say this:

Fuck 'em. We tried to play nice. Now it has become apparent that we will always be in the wrong during our brief stay in this wasteland. So I'm through even trying 

So get out your 'Wednesday: Champions 03/04' T-shirts and wear them with pride  Welcome the boys on to the pitch with a chorus of 'Bring On The Champions'. Sing  'Come To See The Wednesday' and 'shit Ground, no fans', not as knock-around banter but as the loud and proud true statements of FACT they so clearly are 

Waste not any opportunity to remind these piddling little time-wasters that we are a big club and that is what hurts them most.  

Do not flinch or retreat into pious appeasement, be proud and defiant.

We are bigger than anyone else here (or the league above for that matter).  

Don't fear the truth. 

And to all the other supporters of Division Two clubs,I say this: 

Fuck you all.

It may take a while, but soon, children, soon The Wednesday will hit their stride and then we will put right this un-natural aberration. We will sweep you all aside.  WE WILL WIN THIS LEAGUE  Not Cardiff, not play-offs, not by luck or chance  We will dominate and ultimately destroy every wretched, tatty little excuse for a club that dares to stand in our way. And we will do SO with greater style and class and in larger numbers, than your stunted, small-town mentalities could ever conceive. 

Why? 

Because it is our RIGHT. 

Because it is our DESTINY. 

And if I weren't such a raging atheist, I would state categorically that it is because GOD WANTS IT THAT WAY. (Hell, we'll even win your LDV Vans thingy, just to show that we do care, honest). (You will be dazzled by our footballing prowess and you will be awed and humbled by our support. You will be pathetically grateful for the gate money our visits will bring you and you will shut the fuck up while we do it. 

Meanwhile, we will do this all with the minimum of fuss and effort, because at the end of the day, winning this league (indeed, arrogantly 'walking it', if you will) is just not all that much of an achievement. 

Because you and your pointless little clubs, in your soulless, squalid little hovels, mean NOTHING to us.

You are beneath us and its about fucking time you were all forcefully reminded of that fact. 

Get back in your place and stay there. 

Fuck you all

Goodnight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a post that was. And what a calamity that season ended up being.

The lowest point of my Wednesday supporting life happened that season. Away at Chesterfield and watching journeyman striker Glynn Hurst rip Dean Smith to shreds as Chesterfield battered us 3-1 at Saltergate. Or on Easter Monday where we scraped a 0-0 draw at Notts County, who had not won a game for months. Or even at Luton, 2-0 up and losing 3-2, and me getting kicked off radio Sheffield for swearing mid rant about Chris Turner.

Yet, after 45 minutes at Swindon on that sweltering August Saturday, it seemed so easy… 3-0 up and cruising. Kuqi and Owusu dominating… yet the warning signs were there then. Second half collapse and us hanging on to get the win, we all thought it was just a blip, but it was the shape of things to come.

The Four Marys could have come back to haunt us had that season gone on another two weeks. We would have gone down.

12 hours ago, Skamp said:

I enjoyed the friendly trips to Peterborough and Wycombe immensely - and on further thought, the polite and pleasant supporters of these two clubs can exclude themselves from this rant).

Polite and pleasant supporters of Peterborough - that one might need updating! 😂

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

What a post that was. And what a calamity that season ended up being.

The lowest point of my Wednesday supporting life happened that season. Away at Chesterfield and watching journeyman striker Glynn Hurst rip Dean Smith to shreds as Chesterfield battered us 3-1 at Saltergate. Or on Easter Monday where we scraped a 0-0 draw at Notts County, who had not won a game for months. Or even at Luton, 2-0 up and losing 3-2, and me getting kicked off radio Sheffield for swearing mid rant about Chris Turner.

Yet, after 45 minutes at Swindon on that sweltering August Saturday, it seemed so easy… 3-0 up and cruising. Kuqi and Owusu dominating… yet the warning signs were there then. Second half collapse and us hanging on to get the win, we all thought it was just a blip, but it was the shape of things to come.

The Four Marys could have come back to haunt us had that season gone on another two weeks. We would have gone down.

I do lose track of the seasons around then, but I think it turned out to be Turner's last match and a terrible 1 - 0 home defeat. I got back to my Mum's and said that was me done with it. Bless her she started crying - I think more that she wouldn't see the grandkids not so much me. (Apologies Andyben for another personal anecdote) 

It was tough to accept, my Wednesday journey had started off in Division 3 (nearly Div 4) and after 30 years of generally positive progress to see us back at that level was grim

I mean given we have yo yo''d you do resign yourself it is what it is - its given some great moments - but lets be honest its a bit shit really  

11 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I do lose track of the seasons around then, but I think it turned out to be Turner's last match and a terrible 1 - 0 home defeat. I got back to my Mum's and said that was me done with it. Bless her she started crying - I think more that she wouldn't see the grandkids not so much me. (Apologies Andyben for another personal anecdote) 

It was tough to accept, my Wednesday journey had started off in Division 3 (nearly Div 4) and after 30 years of generally positive progress to see us back at that level was grim

I mean given we have yo yo''d you do resign yourself it is what it is - its given some great moments - but lets be honest its a bit shit really  

Bournemouth Sept 2004

We started 2003/4 season fairly well I think? But then it all went downhill. I remember the 0-0 draw at Notts County, what a dire match. I was trying to get my 7yr old into following Wednesday and that season was such hard work

As, for the past 23 years, we’ve bounced or yo-yo-ed between tier two and three, we can’t lord it over similarly sized clubs in the same divisions, we are seriously underperforming 

Edited by Theman

On 04/01/2024 at 15:29, wollowl said:

We started 2003/4 season fairly well I think? But then it all went downhill. I remember the 0-0 draw at Notts County, what a dire match. I was trying to get my 7yr old into following Wednesday and that season was such hard work

Wednesday fans scrapping with each other in the stands at Notts County, largely between those who wanted Turner out and those who didn’t.