Downfall of Chinese football

Tylluan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67509606

Decent read on how it went from boom to bust. 

Possible Wednesday angle is some of the clubs were owned by Chinese property developers and builders who ran into cash flow problems. 

If Chansiri does run a couple of construction businesses then he could have also been hit. Isn't the Hong Kong arm of his business the construction umbrella?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BraddersTim said:

No.  Saudis make money every way possible.  Expanding oil/gas sales to Africa while at same time pushing their green initiatives elsewhere being just one example.

So does China. Huge infrastructure investment helps buy the receiving country's loyalty to its consumer products and government 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 16:37, Beaconowl said:

Could the Saudi league go the same way?

Yes.  They are both authoritarian regimes.  If a small number of powerful people come to the conclusion that sports washing is a waste of time, and/or start to disapprove of the crazy money being paid to a handful of superstar imports…then yes.  Could happen.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 21:38, owl71 said:

Yes.  They are both authoritarian regimes.  If a small number of powerful people come to the conclusion that sports washing is a waste of time, and/or start to disapprove of the crazy money being paid to a handful of superstar imports…then yes.  Could happen.

Agreed. I’ll go as far as saying that it will happen. There’s already reports of clubs in Saudi having financial issues and it’s not generating any where near the interest as they thought, especially sponsorship wise.

I see a scenario that they’ll lose interest within 5 years.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

Agreed. I’ll go as far as saying that it will happen. There’s already reports of clubs in Saudi having financial issues and it’s not generating any where near the interest as they thought, especially sponsorship wise.

I see a scenario that they’ll lose interest within 5 years.

I see it going the other way, within 5 years they'll have total control of FIFA, UEFA and teams in the CL.  They're well on the way.