Songs that should have been much bigger than they were

cheat

5 hours ago, MPB said:

They were (are?) a cracking band the Realies.....once saw them supporting Inspiral Carpets in Leeds in about 1994 ish....they were better than the Inspirals...

We also first saw them supporting someone. I was struggling to remember who, but it was maybe also Inspiral Carpets as I saw them at the Octagon during that period. They were excellent that night (Inspiral Carpets) and it’s right up there in my list of best ever gigs.

It was a real shame The Real People didn’t really make it. They sort of laid the foundations for Britpop then somehow missed out while bands they’d influenced went massive. One of the Gallaghers (can’t remember which one) quoted them as an influence, and I think they helped Oasis out on an early demo.

6 hours ago, MPB said:

Have you read Tony McCarroll's book?    He mentions them a lot, Oasis did some rehearsals and recording at the Real People's studio in Liverpool....the book tells how influential they were in the sound for Definitely Maybe....apparently Noel refused to list them in the liner notes of the album....wanted everyone to think everything was down to him...

No, haven’t read that.

Seems like they were a bigger part of the Oasis story than I realised.

11 hours ago, MPB said:

Criminal that this song never got the recognition.....plus it contains one of the best, if not THE best, piano solos.....

I know this is not from it - but The The’s Infected is one of my all time favourite albums.

1 minute ago, cheat said:

I know this is not from it - but The The’s Infected is one of my all time favourite albums.

Mine too....so much so that I've got it on 3 versions of vinyl.....never tire of listening to it....

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

I’m just about OK on that front. Do you still use that cushion to help you when driving? 

Yes I do thanks for askin.....although it's to stop my knees bashing the dashboard....