Devis Vasquez…..

2 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I remember the adage of, "If you're good enough, you're old enough."  Plenty seem to think this one is. And Chris Turner was Player of the Season at 18.  

Shows how bad we were that Turner was POTS in the mid 70s. 

55 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Shows how bad we were that Turner was POTS in the mid 70s. 

First time that either city club had fallen below Div. 2.  Was a huge shock at the time. Though when Big Jack decided he wasn't big enough for Div.3 Chris actually moved up a division!  

Of couse, he wasn't the youngest keeper to play for us.  Foxy, I think. 

Just now, Owling_Wolf said:

First time that either city club had fallen below Div. 2.  Was a huge shock at the time. Though when Big Jack decided he wasn't big enough for Div.3 Chris actually moved up a division!  

Of couse, he wasn't the youngest keeper to play for us.  Foxy, I think. 

Ah Peter Fox, rest his soul.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Thought DV payed quite well, considering we let in 4. Some very well composed passes out and those back at him were sorted without any hiccups. Icky fucking thump dropped him reyt in it

Dawson in there and it'd have been a cricket score.

I can't see how you can say that with any certainty... Vasquez saved a couple of decent shots in the second half, but didn't have much more to do. And I'd have expected Dawson to save them too, they weren't worldies by any stretch.

Re the shambles goal, I am more of the opinion that having a keeper very used to the ball at his feet is something that Icky isn't used to. Vasquez came right across his box to make it easier, we don't and haven't had a keeper so willing to do that. Icky clearly isn't used to it yet, and neither is Vasquez in terms of knowing his defence. For me it was more of a rustiness than anything else. 

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

I can't see how you can say that with any certainty... Vasquez saved a couple of decent shots in the second half, but didn't have much more to do. And I'd have expected Dawson to save them too, they weren't worldies by any stretch.

Re the shambles goal, I am more of the opinion that having a keeper very used to the ball at his feet is something that Icky isn't used to. Vasquez came right across his box to make it easier, we don't and haven't had a keeper so willing to do that. Icky clearly isn't used to it yet, and neither is Vasquez in terms of knowing his defence. For me it was more of a rustiness than anything else. 

Agree with that.

I felt he was unlucky with the penalty, he got close but couldn't do much about the others, I like his willingness to play football, even if the other 10 didn't.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Thought DV payed quite well, considering we let in 4. Some very well composed passes out and those back at him were sorted without any hiccups. Icky fucking thump dropped him reyt in it

Not against the new lad at all but chances are, if that backpass had been hit, Dawson would have been where it was hit to, not somewhere random.

That said, Ihiekwe should have looked. I bet he does next time. 

42 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

If you want to praise the keeper then fair enough. 

But you don't have to slag anybody else off to try and make a bigger point of it.

I notice that you failed to mention him coming for the cross that he got absolutely nowhere near.

I don’t think he was somewhere random. He was where he should be if a back pass was needed. He can’t be expected to deal with someone not looking up.

I’m just going to put it down to them all getting used to each other and how they play/ work.

Itll be interesting to see if Icky is deemed to have cocked up sufficiently for someone else to be drafted in.

32 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I don’t think he was somewhere random. He was where he should be if a back pass was needed. He can’t be expected to deal with someone not looking up.

I’m just going to put it down to them all getting used to each other and how they play/ work.

Itll be interesting to see if Icky is deemed to have cocked up sufficiently for someone else to be drafted in.

**Lights OwlsOnline blue touch paper**

So, we're playing 'Goalie wag' now, are we?   😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Not against the new lad at all but chances are, if that backpass had been hit, Dawson would have been where it was hit to, not somewhere random.

That said, Ihiekwe should have looked. I bet he does next time. 

I don’t see it as him being in a random position either. I think he positioned himself in a place which is certainly not we are used to seeing. 
So yeah, Dawson maybe have been closer to where the ball was hit, a more composed keeper with the ball, like Vasquez based on what we’ve seen, will come to the ball rather than wait for it. 

You only have to see how many times he makes himself available for a pass compared to someone like Dawson and to a lesser degree, Stockdale before him, who while not shirking possession, don’t come to it. 

29 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I don’t see it as him being in a random position either. I think he positioned himself in a place which is certainly not we are used to seeing. 
So yeah, Dawson maybe have been closer to where the ball was hit, a more composed keeper with the ball, like Vasquez based on what we’ve seen, will come to the ball rather than wait for it. 

You only have to see how many times he makes himself available for a pass compared to someone like Dawson and to a lesser degree, Stockdale before him, who while not shirking possession, don’t come to it. 

So realistically we've got two types of player, co-existing at least temporarilly in the same team, but both with different expectations of each other.  It's going to be interesting, at least in the short term.

And no, I am not espousing blind back passing. Or the aggravating back passing for the sake of it that creates such situations. If we play 'on the front foot' more, we might create the right conditions for some of our poorer opponents, (like Hull), to screw up instead of us. 

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

So realistically we've got two types of player, co-existing at least temporarilly in the same team, but both with different expectations of each other.  It's going to be interesting, at least in the short term.

And no, I am not espousing blind back passing. Or the aggravating back passing for the sake of it that creates such situations. If we play 'on the front foot' more, we might create the right conditions for some of our poorer opponents, (like Hull), to screw up instead of us. 

Yeah, we sort of are there I think. BUT it's not something which I don't think can be fixed. It's just about having that familiarity with who you're playing with.. Which does of course take time.

On 14/08/2023 at 16:54, MAL said:

If you want to praise the keeper then fair enough. 

But you don't have to slag anybody else off to try and make a bigger point of it.

I notice that you failed to mention him coming for the cross that he got absolutely nowhere near.

Not really slagging Dawson off, just feel he would've made complete balls up of the back passes. DV looked very calm when he received them, there was one occasion that was heart in mouth and with CD in the net that's a goal but the lad just dealt with it.

DV looks in command at most points considering his first league game and with Dawson we always need a couple of goals to win a game. 

I would hate to see you slag him off then. 

In this post is still all about slashing him, it's all Woulda Coulda Shoulda...

All we had last season was fans moaning that we were turning into Arsenal, winning games 1-0.

I don't mind you saying Vasquez is better, far better even. 

But don't try and make him out to be better, just by slagging the other bloke with no substance to it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MAL said:

I would hate to see you slag him off then. 

In this post is still all about slashing him, it's all Woulda Coulda Shoulda...

All we had last season was fans moaning that we were turning into Arsenal, winning games 1-0.

I don't mind you saying Vasquez is better, far better even. 

But don't try and make him out to be better, just by slagging the other bloke with no substance to it. 

Dawson can't deal with pass backs very well and is a weak link.  Are we not allowed to voice an opinion without someone being offended now?

That's not what I said though is it?

Your opinion is that you think Vasquez is better with the ball at his feet, I agree with that. 

The other shit was just waffle because you had get a dig in about Dawson.

Offended, ha ha ha ha

It looks like you're the one offended because someone has had the temerity to call you on it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

What a fucking crock of shit, Dawson would do what he always does but his laces through it. For his past errors i can't think of one as a result of a back pass, feel free to show us though

I like Dawson, he had a lot of unwarranted stick since first coming in to the team but he's fought through that, shows character. Having said that i can see, so far, that Vasquez is the better all round keeper of the 2, especially for how we want to play.

Qpr away.... Cup Jan 2020.

And I only know cos it was put on twitter this week 

50 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Some of the goals in that video aren’t even errors, straw clutching for the tweeter to try and present a more credible argument 

Absolutely. Saw it on Twitter when it was posted.  Absolutely scandalous for a so-called Owl to collate a thread of clips to basically 'career assasinate' a current  Wednesday player and a promotion hero a couple of months ago. It stinks.  

We’ve seen Dawson’s shortcomings, we’ve also seen him have some solid games too. If he was ‘next level’ in terms of keeping we’d have seen that too.

And while keepers generally ‘mature’ with age longer than outfield players, again like most things you see glimpses of that step up being possible.

I don’t mind him, so not slagging him off.

I see him as a steady choice, nothing more, nothing less.m. You know what we’re going to get from him and he’s an Owl too. Does he deserve his spot as part of our squad? I’d say absolutely. But. Chucking sentimentality out of the window, if we’re going to make a break for the top 6 at any point. He’s backup to someone else longer term. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

We’ve seen Dawson’s shortcomings, we’ve also seen him have some solid games too. If he was ‘next level’ in terms of keeping we’d have seen that too.

And while keepers generally ‘mature’ with age longer than outfield players, again like most things you see glimpses of that step up being possible.

I don’t mind him, so not slagging him off.

I see him as a steady choice, nothing more, nothing less.m. You know what we’re going to get from him and he’s an Owl too. Does he deserve his spot as part of our squad? I’d say absolutely. But. Chucking sentimentality out of the window, if we’re going to make a break for the top 6 at any point. He’s backup to someone else longer term. 

Very fair assessment. 

20 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Whatever he is, he’s still better than JW. Won’t be surprised to see Derby bring in a new keeper before the window closes, safe to say it’s been a tough start for him

Wildsmith has been like Gordon Banks for Derby this season. It's the rest of the team that's been crap. 

Made five brilliant saves today to keep the score a 1-0 win. Also watch the highlights against Oxford and Wigan to see how he keeps the score down

• Like 1