Micks Corner

Lee

So I'm in Crete, went to Rethymnon today, had lunch at a nice bar on the front. The Mrs without her specs on points out a placque on the wall a couple of foot to my right. Oh this is Micks corner she says, I glance and FFS so it is, in red, 1889, the crest. Blunts. I get a bit queezy, share my thoughts, she tells me to get a grip, she has a point. I am however In blue and white but not the kit. She says I hope Mick doesn't want to sit in his corner, couldn't give a fuck I respond. 

Anyway the very pleasant Greek guy who took our order in normal attire then reappears in those bacon stripes, I had to go and pay him, proper Greek, broken English, I actually respected him somewhat, whatd the story etc etc.

I told him to keep the change, usual ten per cent or so, it's what you do isn't it, he said it was too much, fucking 4 euros mate I thought, he tried to palm off 2 shots of ouzo as a call it quits. No thanks fella it's 2pm.

I then said Sheffield United then...he replied yes. I just responded I'm Wednesday..he laughed in a nice way to be fair, we then left and I've only just got over the 4 euro tip.

Any similar stories out there fellas from your travels?

Edited by Lee
Spello

Hhaha. I’ve not crossed paths with blades overseas like that.

I did get talking about the game the other night with a bloke today, as we were just talking football. I told him I was there; and he said why. I told him I’m an Owl. His tune changed and he walked off grumbling as he’s a blade. Sad twat.

• Like 1

Was in Salou in April 98 when they were playing Newcastle in the FA cup semi final. Wander into a pub, wearing our home shirt, for something to eat and it's full of barcodes. One clocks me and shouts "theres a Sheffielder in lads". It feels like the whole bar turns to look and then the cheering starts. 

Didn't buy a drink for the rest of the day but was 'recovering' for two days afterwards. The Mrs was not impressed 

• Haha 1

San Francisco about 4 or 5 years ago. Buying tickets for Alcatraz and had to give my address. Lad was only in his 20s and he said "Sheffield, Sheffield Wednesday! They are my English team" 

Zante in 2004 first pub I went in was called The Red Lion. Run by a family of pigs and he hated our group. Proper miserable fucker. Didn't appreciate multiple renditions of Hark Now Hear The Wednesday sing after 10 pints for some reason 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went to Benidorm a few years back on stag do all of the cross! Was one blade that went with us, I gave him shit all weekend so he said when he has his stag do I’ve gotta go on his! I agreed!  Got picked up from this shitty boozer in pitsmoore only new him and 1 other guy [who was Wednesday]on a coach going to airport, I walked on all I heard was “what’s that **** doing here”
full of blades.

was proper frosty. Still wore Wednesday colours every day though!

Went to Penang in Malaysia on honeymoon 2001

went into Mac Donald’s with my chupa chups sponsored shirt on all the staff went crazy and just started giving us loads of chupa chups lollies off the display on the counter. No idea what they were saying but it’s like we were famous.

Back to the hotel for the evening’s entertainment. A live singer with a lisp or short tongue singing Wosannah 😂😂

We were both wearing our newly purchased silver Gucci G watches cost us a fiver each. Malaysian bloke comes over . You from Sheffield er yes (never say I live in Rotherham or you have to say near sheffield anyway when the blank look starts) he starts telling us that he works in the steel industry and regularly visits sheffield on business. When he stays here he stays in the Hen and Chickens pub 😂😂😂 

He then goes on to tell us to be careful as our watches or not real Gucci so don’t get them wet 😂😂😂😂 most bizarre day

At the end of a walking holiday in Devon a decade or so back I filled up in Barnstaple. Lass behind the counter got all bubbly and smiley over my Owls shirt with the Sheffield  Childrens Hospital cute teddy bear logo. Asks me where it's from so I told her. She shurrup.

🤣