And our friends were all aboard.....

HoylandOwl

They talked to him on the pitch at Southampton last week, just in front of us.  Waved to both sets of fans.  

One of my three favourite players when I first started in Sept. 1966, aged 13: him, Wilf Smith & David Ford.  We paid the record price then paid for a teenager when we bought him from Chelsea. 

4 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

They talked to him on the pitch at Southampton last week, just in front of us.  Waved to both sets of fans.  

One of my three favourite players when I first started in Sept. 1966, aged 13: him, Wilf Smith & David Ford.  We paid the record price then paid for a teenager when we bought him from Chelsea. 

My first Wednesday hero, got a clout from mi dad when I cheered when he scored for Scotland against England think the jocks won 3-2, devastated when he left for Wolves.

11 minutes ago, Billysboy said:

My first Wednesday hero, got a clout from mi dad when I cheered when he scored for Scotland against England think the jocks won 3-2, devastated when he left for Wolves.

Correct.  I actually stopped going for a while when we sold the good young players from the Cup Final side and replaced them with lesser players.  Sewing the seeds of the 3rd Division.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf

50 minutes ago, Southy_SWFC said:

Glory supporter!

Yep, I was inspired to enter a life of failure and disappointment by watching us fail and experiencing the disappointment of seeing us 2-0 up in the Cup Final but lose.  🙂

In actuality, I'd always told anyone who'd listen that I was an Owl from a very early age.  I first got roughed up by a 🐽 in Frecheville Infants School (ages 5 - 7) playground for professing the faith.  (I didn't even know football violence was a thing.)  😯

My dad always looked for the Wednesday results, though as an orphan in the Great Depression he won't exactly have had a lot of disposable income, so only wet a few times.  (He was from Crookes & Walkley.)

Anyway, at a time when the Cup Final was the only club game on T. V., that '66 final was my first sight of Wednesday and, suitably inspired, I wanted to see them close up. When my slightly older mate Paul asked if I wanted to go the following season, I did!   (Stupid boy!)   😋