Paul Merson blew 160k betting in lockdown

HoylandOwl

https://www.ladbible.com/news/paul-merson-family-160000-house-deposit-gambling-20220918

Since those games with Arsenal in the early 90s, I’ve far from been a fan or Merson. However, his gambling and drink addiction was sad to read about.

So, to see it reappear a few years ago, just shows how addictions can destroy things very quickly. 

Tbh AB, I ain’t that fussed about Merson, per se, it bothers me more that people can get so easily sucked in and back into something that can cause so much damage. 
Yet, tobacco advertising isn’t allowed, but Ray fucking Winstone etc can spam the shit out of each ad break and thats ok.

Yes one brings a life ending illness; however, you could argue gambling has as much of a psychological negative affect for those who have that addictive personality that it grabs hold of.

1 hour ago, Andyben said:

Yes iot is, If you're alcoholic, you avoid pubs. He's a weak minded idiot that deserves no sympathy and him blaming his own weaknesses on a purported medical condition instead of manninbg up to them is appaling

It's a dark hole you seem to have never been down (which I'm pleased for you about), most addicts don't actually want to do what they're doing, they just can't stop. 

49 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

It's a dark hole you seem to have never been down (which I'm pleased for you about), most addicts don't actually want to do what they're doing, they just can't stop. 

Sadly I have, and I realise what it takes to over come these thinghs and blaming one's impulses on a 'condition' is never going to stop you

• Like 3