Jump to content

Our defence


Recommended Posts

When I saw todays lineup I was really deflated. I love Big Ben and I didn't trust Iorfa.

However, IMO the back three played very well today.  Should I hope for the same defence next week or do I still want Ben Heneghan back?

What's your opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Although Iorfa hasn't looked great so far I think BH has been disappointing too, panics and 2nd touch puts him in trouble, some of his passes have been a bit dodgy to say the least too. I wasn't too fussed, had he dropped Ihekwe i'd have been pissed, our best defender so far

Why would you have been drunk?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Moore deserves some credit for benching Henegan, who I think, despite a few dodgy moments and poor passes, has been generally sound. And for then selecting a player with little form and zero confidence and another who’s only been at the club for 24 hours.

Perhaps he was a bit fortunate in that Palmer had to replace Hunt leaving a gap for McGuiness. But still, Iorfa was a big gamble.

And it came off. A few dodgy near misses, mainly created by our midfield being caught in possession, but 2nd half in particular, we were rarely threatened. So same defence next week. In fact, probably same 11, although Bakinson for FDB or Adeniran wouldn’t surprise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like our best back three, from an out and out defensive point of view is now Ihiekwe, Heneghan and McGuiness.  There are all sorts of reasons why Moore went with what he did yesterday.  Giving Iorfa a chance?  Managing Heneghan’s energy levels by not overusing him early in the season?  Iorfa’s forward runs giving us an overload down that side of the pitch?  Whatever, the most important thing is it sounds like we may have found the answer (McGuiness) to our one real problem position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, owl71 said:

It sounds like our best back three, from an out and out defensive point of view is now Ihiekwe, Heneghan and McGuiness.  There are all sorts of reasons why Moore went with what he did yesterday.  Giving Iorfa a chance?  Managing Heneghan’s energy levels by not overusing him early in the season?  Iorfa’s forward runs giving us an overload down that side of the pitch?  Whatever, the most important thing is it sounds like we may have found the answer (McGuiness) to our one real problem position.

McG was very good yesterday, playing on his 'wrong' side.  The only thing I wasn't thrilled with concerning him was a reaction by Johnson to a misplaced through ball by the young 'un to him after he'd set off on a run.  I like Johnson a lot but it wasn't good to see him get the strops on and not even face McG, who was trying to apologise / acknowledge.  The kid's only just arrived, ffs.  It made me remember our 1st game, Portsmouth, when Johnson was waving his arms about at Ihiekwe - also on his wrong foot - for laying the ball up to him rather than giving him a pass to run onto.

Frustrating? Of course, but don't be a tit about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

McG was very good yesterday, playing on his 'wrong' side.  The only thing I wasn't thrilled with concerning him was a reaction by Johnson to a misplaced through ball by the young 'un to him after he'd set off on a run.  I like Johnson a lot but it wasn't good to see him get the strops on and not even face McG, who was trying to apologise / acknowledge.  The kid's only just arrived, ffs.  It made me remember our 1st game, Portsmouth, when Johnson was waving his arms about at Ihiekwe - also on his wrong foot - for laying the ball up to him rather than giving him a pass to run onto.

Frustrating? Of course, but don't be a tit about it. 

Okay I won’t. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, owl71 said:

It sounds like our best back three, from an out and out defensive point of view is now Ihiekwe, Heneghan and McGuiness.  There are all sorts of reasons why Moore went with what he did yesterday.  Giving Iorfa a chance?  Managing Heneghan’s energy levels by not overusing him early in the season?  Iorfa’s forward runs giving us an overload down that side of the pitch?  Whatever, the most important thing is it sounds like we may have found the answer (McGuiness) to our one real problem position.

Do you think the intention is to play McGuiness primarily on the left, at least until, Famewo comes back?

 I think it was Ty that said McGuiness is “very right footed”. That was clear on Saturday. He was less happy using his left than Ihekwe was v Portsmouth. Don’t get me wrong, I thought he had an excellent game, but the way we play it slowly across the back often leaves our wide CB needing to make a hasty pass. McGuiness turned in, onto his right foot, and into an opponent several times on Saturday. As long as the midfield three continue to get into space to make themselves available, and as long as McG maintains his composure and doesn’t panic he’ll do well on the left, but I can see him getting caught out and losing possession because he won’t / can’t use his left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

Do you think the intention is to play McGuiness primarily on the left, at least until, Famewo comes back?

 I think it was Ty that said McGuiness is “very right footed”. That was clear on Saturday. He was less happy using his left than Ihekwe was v Portsmouth. Don’t get me wrong, I thought he had an excellent game, but the way we play it slowly across the back often leaves our wide CB needing to make a hasty pass. McGuiness turned in, onto his right foot, and into an opponent several times on Saturday. As long as the midfield three continue to get into space to make themselves available, and as long as McG maintains his composure and doesn’t panic he’ll do well on the left, but I can see him getting caught out and losing possession because he won’t / can’t use his left.

 

DM said that McGuinness already played previously on the left side:

https://youtu.be/6WSthcqhWDw?t=1038

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...