Squad depth in Lg1

Reesh

Every time Derby announce a signing I think would I have been happy if they'd have arrived at Hillsborough last season.  A few Derby fans I know are concerned over the 'legs' some of these older players have got. A couple started taking more notice of League 1 games from around March time and noted the difference in styles that teams play. They're particularly worried about the punt and pace teams that try and blitz through the middle. As one lad put it, experience means shit if they can't control a game.

They're also worried about strength in depth. There's a few released academy lads coming through door who they reckon won't be up to filling long term gaps if the better paid players pick up injuries

For us, I think Moore has brought in more 'proven' players than having to take a punt on what was available at the time. But we have to carry the momentum of the back end of last season into the beginning of this. A lot will be down to Moore's mindset again and whether he over thinks the opposition rather than letting them shit themselves about playing us. I'm glad we start with Portsmouth and not the likes of Accrington, Fleetwood, or one of the promoted sides but when it comes to playing these teams I want them to be thinking how do we shut Wednesday down, not the other way around. 

• Like 1

Dunno why, but I'm not concerned about Ipswich, Derby are a funny one. I agree with Ty about the calibre of the signings, but League 1 is a strange division, I'd say we had a better squad than everyone else last season, but it didn't seem to hugely help?! Their first 11 is great if they're going toe to toe with anyone in this division, but there's only about 3 teams will do that with them and they appear to lack strength in depth.

Big question mark over the keeper if they're going with Wildsmith. Not digging him out, but he's never been a no1 before so it could really go either way.

Edited by Otto_Man

Aside from Hourihane, Derby’s signings are much like ours over the past few years in the sense that you go…

’oh he can do a good job, etc’

Then we see what happens. They’re good players, but ultimately they don’t appear to add up to the sum of the parts.

Either they’re just below what they were and flatter to deceive, or get injured/have fitness problems.

Theyll have a bit of momentum in that they’re buzzing they’re not in the shit anymore, but if they struggle in their first dozen games. The wheels could very easily fall off.. And we’d know!

51 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Dunno why, but I'm not concerned about Ipswich, Derby are a funny one. I agree with Ty about the calibre of the signings, but League 1 is a strange division, I'd say we had a better squad than everyone else last season, but it didn't seem to hugely help?! Their first 11 is great if they're going toe to toe with anyone in this division, but there's only about 3 teams will do that with them and they appear to lack strength in depth.

Big question mark over the keeper if they're going with Wildsmith. Not digging him out, but he's never been a no1 before so it could really go either way.

The other option is Scott Loach, I'd have Wildsmith without arms or legs over him