15 minute Cities

Ozzie

17 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

What’s this you’re on about?

Control that is coming in "for the greater good"

Oxford, Canterbury etc looking at running trials, all abart net zero for 2030.... The rhetoric is cleaner air and we can all walk or cycle to whatever we need within 15 minutes. The reality is you have about 100 permits out of the area and then you are fined. Thetford in Norfolk seem to be the only ones kicking up a stink about it.

Edited by Ozzie

2 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Sorry not got the time today I have a BLM rally to attend and counselling for an irrational dislike of gingers with goalie gloves on 

Expected a back down tbh. Gave you a great chance but you declined. 

Don't forget to burn an effigy of Flint at your rally

@Ozzie

Have you been watching too much GB News again? 

Where did you get the 100 permits thing from because it's not on anything I've read about it. (From Private Eye, The Spectator, Politico, Royal Town Planning Institute, Sweco and the i) 

Personally I'd love shops, medical, arts, schools to be within a 15 minute walk. They've just shut down my local docs and I'm now a 25 min drive away.

Edited by Tylluan

8 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

@Ozzie

Where did you get the 100 permits thing from because it's not on anything I've read about it. (From Private Eye, The Spectator, Politico, Royal Town Planning Institute, Sweco and the i) 

Personally I'd love shops, medical, arts, schools to be within a 15 minute walk. They've just shut down my local docs and I'm now a 25 min drive away.

Move to Holland then?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

@Ozzie

Don't watch GB or Talk. Might flick on ITV SKY C4&5 newses.

YouTube can be handy, some of it shite

Plenty out there on the net about permits

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2023/01/25/15-minute-city-plans-cause-controversy/

(I'm not a fucking student writing a cheque for a bag of chips btw)

Nice to have things in a walking distance. It's the fines for going elsewhere that is the issue. family visits, trip out for the day, general freedoms stopped/ limited. Trips abroad all out the window for the peasants 

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

As long as they don’t have 15 minute villages. Tbf I could walk from one end to the other end of ours in that time, but there is fuck all beyond a Post Box 

They're called Muslims mate, you're not BoJo

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2023/01/25/15-minute-city-plans-cause-controversy/

Nice to have things in a walking distance. It's the fines for going elsewhere that is the issue. family visits, trip out for the day, general freedoms stopped/ limited. Trips abroad all out the window for the peasants 

The way I've read that article is that you'll be free to travel to other parts of city via the ring road as many times as you like. The 'permits' are for if you want to use the rat runs of the inner roads. 

"The City Council has asserted that the plan’s intent is not to coerce residents into staying in one neighbourhood, but to address ‘awful’ congestion in the city centre. The traffic filters will not take the form of physical barricades. Residents will also be able to apply for permits to drive through filters and into other neighbourhoods for up to 100 days a year. However, it is important to note that travel to other areas of Oxford will be permitted by alternative routes, such as the ring road surrounding the city, at any time."

Apart from referencing Katie Hopkins and Jordan Peterson it seems a well rounded piece on the issue. 

The residents of Oxford will be free to come and go out of their little enclaves as many times as they like but just not down certain roads and causing congestion. It's hardly like the city of Bath where the council have blocked off the whole city centre, with bollards, to everyone. Even emergency services have trouble getting in. 

And as for taking trips abroad, I don't think anyone will by 2050, unless they make massive advancements in hydrogen jet and ship engines or you drive there in your electric car. 

15 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

The way I've read that article is that you'll be free to travel to other parts of city via the ring road as many times as you like. The 'permits' are for if you want to use the rat runs of the inner roads. 

"The City Council has asserted that the plan’s intent is not to coerce residents into staying in one neighbourhood, but to address ‘awful’ congestion in the city centre. The traffic filters will not take the form of physical barricades. Residents will also be able to apply for permits to drive through filters and into other neighbourhoods for up to 100 days a year. However, it is important to note that travel to other areas of Oxford will be permitted by alternative routes, such as the ring road surrounding the city, at any time."

Apart from referencing Katie Hopkins and Jordan Peterson it seems a well rounded piece on the issue. 

The residents of Oxford will be free to come and go out of their little enclaves as many times as they like but just not down certain roads and causing congestion. It's hardly like the city of Bath where the council have blocked off the whole city centre, with bollards, to everyone. Even emergency services have trouble getting in. 

And as for taking trips abroad, I don't think anyone will by 2050, unless they make massive advancements in hydrogen jet and ship engines or you drive there in your electric car. 

More traffic on the A34 is just what Oxford needs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

So increasing journey time and carbon emissions.

Brains brigade in charge again I see.

Basically in Canterbury the tory council have proposed dividing the city up into zones and you cannot go from one to the other directly so to speak... or something like that, its a load of bollocks that will never work so I havent taken much notice of it. Fact of the matter is what was once quite a nice place is quickly turning into a massive shithole and the crackpot council leader only cares about vape shops, restaurants, and shit loads more houses in an already overcrowded with shit infrastructure city.

• Like 1