Owls take Non League youngster on trial

Reesh

Next Alfie May? He's got a long way to go. If he's going to regularly play Isthmian league football next season then I'd try and do something that left him there. Either on a first dibs retainer or sign him and send him back. Playing that level might see him progress quicker. 

Ramsgate, arguably, have a better developed midfielder. Eze Ebuzoeme is a big unit for his age but is nippy and agile to go with the solidity and covers the ground well. He's been in the Millwall youth system and also at Gatafe.

Will Couch, the other trialist mentioned in that report, is interesting. He's been with Burnley since 13 years old and has been with their 18s this season. He finds himself looking for another club purely because He's too old for the 18s next season and there's literally no room for him in their 23s. A lot of Burnley's 18s are in a similar position. He's another central midfielder and plays a bit like Byers. A lot of Burnley supporters who follow their youth system can't understand why they've let him go and not sent him out on loan somewhere but that might have been his choice to try elsewhere.

1 minute ago, HoylandOwl said:

I like the fact we’re looking at players early.

it’s almost like we have a plan…

It's starting to happen more and more that when club's are telling younger players thanks but no thanks they're then allowing them to trial and play at other clubs when they're still contracted. This was triggered by the EFL relaxing player movement 2 months prior to contracts ending.

We seem to be on the ball more than other clubs, though, and players do seem to want to come. Last Easter I think we ran almost an American style tryout camp which resulted in our current crop of U18s. Whatever we did it seemed to work