Awroyt Moy luvveeerrrrs the official Owls v gasheads match thread

EpworthOwl

What a fucking shit show at times that was. Some shocking defending, soft goal. As per usual Moore took far too long to change anything, yet their keeper was MOTM. Wilks looked lively, Gregory not so much. Johnson put in some peaches, Byers, Stockdale and Smith were excellent. 

Moore is not the man to take us up as much as I want him to be as I really like him. He just hasn't the nouse to win these games.

21 minutes ago, MAL said:

We don't have answers because we are virtually having 4 stood virtually in a forward area but the two in the middle are getting overrun.

Tactics and general play...

Them = Spot on

Us = just all over the place.

I will repeat the balance of the side is totally wrong trying to shoe horn Windass, Gregory and Smith upfront. It leaves the midfield short and puts the defence under pressure if we lose the ball.

Win and control midfield is always the first battle and we aren't doing it enough. At times Byers was the only one in there. 

Moore is trying to be a crowd pleaser but it's really not working these last few games. 

Agree the front 2 are too static 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bellsview said:

Didn’t deserve to win that and could easily have lost at the end.

Another manager outsmarts Moore! 

Not sure out smarted, fans would whinge if he didn't play that front 3 but to me we have more attacking threat when we don't. Meaning we create better chances whilst at the same time not looking like we could  concede every time they attack.

Got the starting 11 wrong with Brown, who was dreadful both with and without the ball. Far too disjointed when the ball went into the last third. That for me was Gregory’s worst game in a Wednesday shirt, the hold up and hustle bustle wasn’t there. What was most disappointing was how bad the subs were when they came on, they actually made us worst because the ball never stuck, Wilkes and Dele are runners but they didn’t run.

That said, we’ve had enough chances to win tonight. We have a definite issue in front of goal at the minute, the final ball was decent tonight, and a combination of poor finishing and great goalkeeping stopped us scoring.

4 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Not sure out smarted, fans would whinge if he didn't play that front 3 but to me we have more attacking threat when we don't. Meaning we create better chances whilst at the same time not looking like we could  concede every time they attack.

The thing for me though is why bring Smith in, i know he scored, but he is not going to score like he did last year with the set up we have, all he does is run put himself about because he is not suited to our game plan (whatever that is).

Edited by MAL

5 minutes ago, Canterburyowl said:

What a fucking shit show at times that was. Some shocking defending, soft goal. As per usual Moore took far too long to change anything, yet their keeper was MOTM. Wilks looked lively, Gregory not so much. Johnson put in some peaches, Byers, Stockdale and Smith were excellent. 

Moore is not the man to take us up as much as I want him to be as I really like him. He just hasn't the nouse to win these games.

Tbf their goal was well thought because the guy stepping over it wrong footed the defence. So for once give the credit to the attacker and a cool finish.

For all we praise Smith and Gregory to me their time as major threats is diminishing and their chaps with less ball gave our defence a hard time 

Tbh we all know if you can pressurise us you will get chances 

The tactics seemed wrong tonight. I don't believe we should have gone 3-5-2. If we do play that tactic, then Will Vaulks has got to be the first name on the sheet. The gap between the defence and the midfield tonight was huge.

Joey did his homework on that tactic and pressed us high. All sides that do that when we play that formation get chances from our own silliness. Before Smith made it 1-0, they missed 2 sitters. Chances that teams in the championship would bury. 

McGuinness was the only defender that earned his money. Brown looked like a player that's never played centre back before and I have no idea what Ihekwe turned up tonight. A shadow of the player he usually is

Both keepers played well tonight. Stockdale saved us plenty of times and their goalie made some decent saves from Gregory, WIndass and Smith - although I would be disappointed if a keeper didn't save Gregorys shot given the position he took. 

I can't argue with the result, think a draw was fair despite the stats saying we had 22 attempts compared to their 10. Only 6 of ours were on target compared to their 5 on target. A lot of those were long range efforts that didn't trouble their keeper at all

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

The defence is creaking and it’s going to be worse on Saturday. Come on Moore you need to get a grip of the midfield. 

Going back to that point, if you are short in defence and bringing in weaker players such as Brown give him more protection.

3 5 2 please but with 3 in centre mid. We have our strength in that area but last couple of games we have only had 2 in there.

2 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

And for the record, we need to revert to Bannan playing the 10 and Byers and Vaulks behind in a three. It’s got to be Smith/Gregory and Windass/Wilkes as the front two.

We need a bit of pace up top and a forward to try and stretch teams, both Gregory and Smith are 9’s.

This ^^^^

Other teams do this to us easily, either with pace or the ability with the ball to turn our slow defending, not just defenders but all over the pitch.

As MK said I just don't think we can have Smith. Gregory and Windass in side, just doesn't work. Gregory looks half the player he can be. Byers was excellent tonight as was Stockdale who I've been critical of, but Wilks...crikey he was shocking.

While we could certainly have won could just as easily lost. Rovers were decent and I'd be taking there left back of them 

3 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

And for the record, we need to revert to Bannan playing the 10 and Byers and Vaulks behind in a three. It’s got to be Smith/Gregory and Windass/Wilkes as the front two.

We need a bit of pace up top and a forward to try and stretch teams, both Gregory and Smith are 9’s.

100% this 

I think Moore wants to avoid being criticised for not using our strikers but to me it's disrupting the team play we had 

2 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The other aspect is that a lot was said about Wilks and Mighten being signings that would make a difference.

They have, sadly made us worse for now. But with no game time really it gets harder and harder for them to come on and be a game changer

FDB comes on but I struggle to know what Moore's plan is to use him 

In my opinion Moore is doing his best to Piss him off, deliberately or not.

Moore tried to go 4-2-3-1 with that last change. The issue was that Windass and Wilkes stayed so wide that Smith was isolated and Dele just seemed to be going where the ball was after it go there - it looked like they tried to get him to beat his marker on the turn and have him then attack the Bristol back line, but Dele’s touch was so heavy that he ran into traffic or a static Malik Wilkes. 

Right now I’ve calmed down we haven’t lost 16 games in and third. The negativity comes with being a wednesdayite and once again the silence from the crowd tonight speaks volumes. Bristol probably the best away following we’ve seen for a while and never stopped all game.

Players surely can’t be happy with themselves after that so let’s see a  reaction then.

We go again Saturday 

Up the owls 

Always look on the bright side of life de doo de doo de doo de dooo

53 minutes ago, MAL said:

The thing for me though is why bring Smith in, i know he scored, but he is not going to score like he did last year with the set up we have, all he does is run put himself about because he is not suited to our game plan (whatever that is).

Absolutely this. 

If you're going to bring a player like Smith in then the team has to revolve and evolve around that signing. Not the other way around. 

Same goes for Wilks. His most productive spell in league 1 was playing on the right of a narrow front 3. 

Only Moore could buy 2 forwards who scored 18 and 19 goals respectively the last time they were in league 1 and try and change their style to fit his game

3 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Absolutely this. 

If you're going to bring a player like Smith in then the team has to revolve and evolve around that signing. Not the other way around. 

Same goes for Wilks. His most productive spell in league 1 was playing on the right of a narrow front 3. 

Only Moore could buy 2 forwards who scored 18 and 19 goals respectively the last time they were in league 1 and try and change their style to fit his game

The BIG problem we have though is we have done this from and including CC.

We didn't buy players that were better than we had in a position, we bought players (Whoever made these decisions, i don't know) that we tried to just fit into the position.

We have generally not played as a together team tactically, like say the tactics of a fluent team.

Hopefully you understand that, hic.

13 minutes ago, Otto_Man said:

Shout out to the ref who was piss poor (for both teams) all night

Reminded me of one Sunday League game where our manager had to ref it.

At the end he said “that was a great game, not a single foul” We were all quick to correct him that there’d been plenty of fouls just no free kicks.

There’s letting things go, and there’s forgetting your whistle.

The positive is we sit 3rd, albeit after creating a gap that has closed up just as that to the top 2 has widened.

Like many I thought the results were good but the performances hardly the promotion winning type. But that there was more to come from this squad. 16 games in performance levels are the same and do we think we can kick up a gear. 

Otherwise sides will properly suss us. I can see that Moore is trying to keep the opposition guessing with formation etc, but play to our strength which is in midfield.

The promotion winning sides, the most successful sides I have seen, the common denominator was strong midfields. 

8 hours ago, cheat said:

Reminded me of one Sunday League game where our manager had to ref it.

At the end he said “that was a great game, not a single foul” We were all quick to correct him that there’d been plenty of fouls just no free kicks.

There’s letting things go, and there’s forgetting your whistle.

Absolutely this

It was frustrating as hell come full time last night and it wasn’t just the feeling on the pitch, in the stands it felt that way too.

There were moments where we looked for space quite well early on, to then looking so ‘tight’ and the movement wasn’t there. Rover’s took that and pushed forward positively, passed the ball around with confidence and made our defence look very nervous. 
Ihiekwe in the air did very well against Coburn who was massive, aerially, but our number 20 seemed off it on the deck.

We were disjointed back there, and while it’s easy to blame Brown, who isn’t a centre back, there was validity to that, although it’s not his fault he was asked to play there. There was an indication in the first half that we were disrupted when, they attacked down our left, Johnson wasn’t communicated with, Brown didn’t go left to cover and Johnson was caught with his opponent goal side. Thankfully we cleared but Johnson gave Brown and Ihiekwe an almighty bollocking for not communicating with him. I couldn’t agree with him more. 
Gregory and Smith worked so hard, but again, a lot of the time they’re doing that work outside of the lines of the 18 yard box, in the channels. That is then leaving the one not in the channel isolated with two or three markers. It just wasn’t working. 

Byers was fantastic last night, easily for me the man of the match and that was exemplified by the run and cross for smith’s lovely header. For a team that tries to have width, at times last night we felt so narrow. 

I know the ref has been spoken about but the assistants were just as bad too. Hesitant, changing their mind, and just wrong with some of their decisions. However, they weren’t the reason we didn’t win. We were the reason.

While it’s disappointing we didn’t win, we at least didn’t lose. If this is our ‘blip’ then we are still squeaking to a few points. That’s not a bad thing. 

Burton need a thumping at the weekend, not only to gift the fans a lift, but to breathe a little life back into our team too. 

Moore’s reason for selecting Brown.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesdays-surprise-selection-explained-mark-mcguinness-update-after-injury-scare-3895051

“Left-footer,” was his swift reply. “Jaden’s played in the same position that Reece James has, and we’ve seen Marvin Johnson as well. It brings balance.

“I thought Jaden was dogged in his approach, I took him off to get another attacker on.”

and on Ihiekwe…

“I think his positional sense was a little bit wrong, in terms of dealing with the ball,” Moore said of the defender. “He was either getting under it, or too deep. It was like he had too much to think about.”

Maybe that’s because he had to hold the hand of a left back, who’s not a centre back??? 

Fuck me H not only is Brown not a centre half, I question whether or not he's actually a footballer. His double fuck up for the goal wasn't even the worst thing he did. There was a moment think it was first half where he's in the defensive third out wider and under no pressure passes the ball across into the middle to absolutely no one (well actually to them). Literally the sort of thing you coach kids not to do.

This is simple for Moore to sort.

Let’s not shoehorn two strikers and Windass into the same team.

Lets make sure that it’s a 9 and a 10 up front and not two 9’s.

In a three man midfield, play three midfield players.

Don’t experiment in league games.

If Jaden Brown is to play, it’s as an orthodox left back or wing back.

I avoided last night's match as it was always going to be a draw or loss. We're in one of our dips that will costs us automatic promotion. Well lose at the weekend, calls for DM out, then we'll have a little spurt of good  results which save him.

Brown at Centre back?

Imagine being a young centre half  at Hillsborough seeing that,  no wonder they give up and end up at Gainsborough or Frickley.

Moore out, the sooner the better 

Edited by Andyben

That formation (3-4-1-2?) that accommodates Smith, Gregory and Windass is okay against really poor opposition.  There are a few teams in this league that fall into that category, and Burton are probably one of them, so we should be okay Saturday.  Against anyone remotely half decent though, we need a central midfield three, and Vaulks, Byers and Bannan is the obvious choice.  That midfield three has balance and it is obvious who’s likely to be performing which role.

Brown…bloody hell what an awful signing he’s turned out to be.  Wilks has been very disappointing so far, hopefully he will have a sudden and decisive purple patch some time after New Year.