Dele Bashiru contract talks still ongoing…

To Dele-Bashiru, and his agent, the equation is simple. Play me and pay me or I can continue my 'education' at a better paying club. 

Moore's continuing rhetoric of 'he's still only 21 and he's still has large parts of his game to improve' could go a long way to seeing him walk. 

He's League 1 ready, if not higher. Last season and the beginning of this have shown that. His form last season drew interest from Championship and European clubs. He won't improve his game on the training pitch. 

The problem he, and Moore, has is now that we're playing Windass and Bannan at the same time his driving ball carrying runs don't really fit in, especially with a front two. It bypasses Windass in the hole

He's contending with Byers, Vaulks and Bakinson for a role that takes possibly 25% out of his game. Yet Moore says he's only 75%  there. 

Edited by Tylluan

49 minutes ago, bricat said:

Att have a word.

Dele Bashiru needs tying down . He will  be an excellent investment for the club.

Brylcreem bit of Owlsonline fame said to me today, he might end up like an Antonio if we’re not careful.

Sell him for peanuts (in comparison), or let him slide away only to see him make a massive move from there. 

I hope he’s wrong. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

He seems to enjoy it every time he's on the pitch. But suppose like most modern footballers, it depends how much his agent loves him being here!

Agents ruin the modern game, I really don't think they do what's best for their clients, I think they are just out to line their own pockets 

2 hours ago, LiamOwl said:

I don’t see why he would stay really. I can’t imagine he’ll be too impressed with how much he’s played this year, and surely that’s not going to improve if we go up.

Depends who's still here next season and whether we need to rebuild the midfield

To build a midfield around FDB, or even just start him regularly, we'd have to play a different game than the one we currently play with Bannan roaming. 

He might love it here but he needs to be playing and at the moment that's not happening. 

He'll probably sign a foreign pre-contract in January but I hope he signs with us with a built in escape clause that suits both parties, should it come to that. 

He’s an odd player in that some games, he looks the most unplayable player in the league, he’s very difficult to stop or shutdown. And then in other games, he wouldn’t get in some pub teams.

He’s got every physical attribute you need and more. I think it comes down to games with him, he does want and need to play more, and in this system, he’s the long term, spiritual successor to Bannan especially in that roaming role. But… he needs to be able to dominate a game from start to finish, rather than have spells here and there.

I do like him as a player. He’ll get better with or without Wednesday.

18 hours ago, KrolMong said:

He’s an odd player in that some games, he looks the most unplayable player in the league, he’s very difficult to stop or shutdown. And then in other games, he wouldn’t get in some pub teams.

He’s got every physical attribute you need and more. I think it comes down to games with him, he does want and need to play more, and in this system, he’s the long term, spiritual successor to Bannan especially in that roaming role. But… he needs to be able to dominate a game from start to finish, rather than have spells here and there.

I do like him as a player. He’ll get better with or without Wednesday.

This, but I hope it's the former.

It’s still trundling on….As talks have continued between Wednesday and Dele’s representatives.

There’s more in the above link but, here’s a snippet.

“We continue to talk,” Moore said. “We’ve made it quite clear with him and both parties are at the table in terms of wanting to get it done.

“It’s just the final bits and pieces which we understand. We had a desire with him [to get a new contract done] much earlier than this and as long as he keeps performing like that, it shows even more why we want to keep him here at the club.”

This will rumble on until his agent has exhausted all possible chance of a pre agreement with another club  

We might want to tie him down now but he's still under contract until July. When did we start withdrawing contracts from the table last season? Around the end of April? 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got an inkling he’s not going to stay. Agent talk will be telling him he can get more money and a move to a higher league and potentially‘bigger club’.

A real shame. However as has been discussed, how confident would anyone be that we would see the development if we’d signed him on a longer contract earlier.

Bakinson looks a good prospect and Adeniran is good if he can shrug off these regular injuries 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tylluan said:

He leaves on a free in June and his agent can try and secure a bigger signing on fee out of what would have been spent on a  transfer in January 

But he “wants to repay the faith shown in him”. If he’s off in the summer, are we better off trying to get a fee and sell on clause now? We’re awash with good players in that area, I don’t think losing him now would risk the promotion push, though in the back of my mind, there is the concern that Bannan’s hamstring now appears to be made of spaghetti. 

23 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Or…..

Theres not all that much interest after all? 
His performances of late have been meh, in fact most of them since the contract talks were first mooted, have largely been meh.

it’s almost like the opposite of what we used to get with JJ every year!

Have his performances not been like that since his arrival which is why he has never secured a regular starting position.  Would suggest more down to application than contractual issues. 

• 1 month later...

Correct decision for me. Everyone should be focussed on winning the league, and I'm sure they are.

Moore says FDB's head is in the right place and that can only be good for us.

There's definitely a good player in there but he doesn't seem to have any form of football brain.

The lads I sit with are totally divided as to whether he should stay. I'd keep him without question but he needs to find far more consistency than he's showing. He's hardly going to boss it for PSV or AC if he's subbing for us.

2 hours ago, Raynaldo said:

Correct decision for me. Everyone should be focussed on winning the league, and I'm sure they are.

Moore says FDB's head is in the right place and that can only be good for us.

There's definitely a good player in there but he doesn't seem to have any form of football brain.

The lads I sit with are totally divided as to whether he should stay. I'd keep him without question but he needs to find far more consistency than he's showing. He's hardly going to boss it for PSV or AC if he's subbing for us.

This is a fair summary IMO. As for the links with PSV and AC Milan, I think they were totally drummed up by his agent, trying to force our arm, making us think we were on the verge of letting a 'world beater' go. 

6 hours ago, Ozzie said:

If he was going to sign he'd have done it by now. His agent is more interested in a fee for himself as gets a fee for moving him on.

Wonder if he had a word with Liam other neet? healthy bank balance but his career path has nosedived

His agent would get a fee if he re-signed for us. He'd get his percentage from the player and a fee from the club.

What defines his next season is what happens the next 3 months. If he continues to offer little both starting or off the bench, it’s going to lower his stock both with us and any suitor. If he contributes, then he’ll be a championship player next season regardless of what we do.

What I would say is that he’s very clearly a confidence player. That’s a mental thing. A player of his attributes should be dominating teams at this level, especially when a game opens up and there is space.