Pilgrimage to Devon - Match thread

Just now, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Only one team and manager tried to win that last 20-25

Silly **** 

Exactly, it is these decisions that make the difference between promotion and play offs. 

The one thing we know is we do not defend well under pressure, so they were doing that anyway thru their subs but he gave them an extra boost by removing the pace to make them think about over commiting.

Did enough to win at times, keeper played well for them, but the last 15 poor poor stuff by Moore

Well...

If you watched tonight and still think we have a chance of auto's 🤡

Before the game everybody was saying (me included) that Plymouth don't have the strength in the squad to continue a push for promotion in the auto's.

Looking at tonight we could be well wrong, unless they come up against a manager so inept that they change it like we did in every match.

That was the most ridiculous substitutions i can ever remember, how the hell are you supposed to keep hold of the ball when you take off "probably" the two most influential players on the pitch.

The game should have been sewn up on 60 mins, you cannot create and miss that many chances, and expect to win. And the subs, from our side didn’t contribute. Dele didn’t touch the ball, Paterson kept mis controlling and fouling. But the Plymouth changes did work. And I will agree, no issues with one of Bannan and Windass going off, but leave one on - we handed the impetus to Plymouth.

It was a good performance until the changes and then it went wrong. And I still don’t understand why Paterson came on instead of Gregory.

I’ll call out the good displays.

Bannan, Palmer, Bakinson and Vaulks (the latter two for 70 minutes), Heneghan and Ihiekwe. Windass was brilliant in getting behind all night but decision making was poor. Stockdale made some good stops.

I actually thought Moore got it spot on until the changes. And I also think he paid by not having Wilkes on the bench just for his pace.

Really good game that we should have won.

If we play like that first 70 minutes away from home every week, we’ll not drop many points.

I won’t defend the subs, but they should have been an absolute non factor. On 60 minutes, we should have been 4-1 up. Poor miss from Smith, Poor miss from Johnson, three worldies from the keeper, woodwork twice, poor miss from Iorfa. You cannot go away from home and create as many sitters as that and only score one. And I’m not including the ones where we have picked the wrong pass or cross when in great positions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laceups said:

However you dress it up if we do that if we do this…..

If our manager keeps getting tactically out smarted then we finish top 6 with this squad and a repeat last season.

Spot on, he is competent enough when we can flat track bully sides. This is not the end of the auto promotion chances of course, but it opens a gap points wise but hugely the confidence boost for them in their own ambitions.

I can see that a draw would have been a good result but inviting pressure settling for it was the least likely way of getting it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrolMong said:

I won’t defend the subs, but they should have been an absolute non factor. On 60 minutes, we should have been 4-1 up. Poor miss from Smith, Poor miss from Johnson, three worldies from the keeper, woodwork twice, poor miss from Iorfa. You cannot go away from home and create as many sitters as that and only score one. And I’m not including the ones where we have picked the wrong pass or cross when in great positions.

Agreed but let's also factor in that at 2-1 up he would have pulled up the barricades.

The utter frustration is that Smith with pace alongside was scaring the shit out of them, Paterson WTF 

The longer the 2nd half went on, the less legs we'd got. Several were running on empty. Bannan wasn't the same player after he went down the 2nd time.  Before the end Vaulks had got nothing left. He couldn't even catch up with play after taking a corner.  We needed more subs on, not less.  Like they changed the game with theirs.

I said to a mate about 20 mins from the end that there's just too many good players not on the field for us. We really need some of them back and playing on Saturday. 

Gregory should have been brought on much earlier. I'll wait for his explanations for the subs, when Mel Brooks writes his script. I think they have won every home game this season so when they load attack minded players on we should have done the same to go head to head.

Surely he has to be in the last chance saloon.

27 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

The game should have been sewn up on 60 mins, you cannot create and miss that many chances, and expect to win. And the subs, from our side didn’t contribute. Dele didn’t touch the ball, Paterson kept mis controlling and fouling. But the Plymouth changes did work. And I will agree, no issues with one of Bannan and Windass going off, but leave one on - we handed the impetus to Plymouth.

It was a good performance until the changes and then it went wrong. And I still don’t understand why Paterson came on instead of Gregory.

I’ll call out the good displays.

Bannan, Palmer, Bakinson and Vaulks (the latter two for 70 minutes), Heneghan and Ihiekwe. Windass was brilliant in getting behind all night but decision making was poor. Stockdale made some good stops.

I actually thought Moore got it spot on until the changes. And I also think he paid by not having Wilkes on the bench just for his pace.

Really good game that we should have won.

If we play like that first 70 minutes away from home every week, we’ll not drop many points.

Bakinson was dreadful again. Folks were shouting for him to be taken off.  

16 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

The one by Smith was huge: eventually proving to be game changing.  He put a huge shift in but he's got to do better with that.

Btw, their sponsor chose Cooper, their keeper, as man of the match. 

4 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

The one by Smith was huge: eventually proving to be game changing.  He put a huge shift in but he's got to do better with that.

Btw, their sponsor chose Cooper, their keeper, as man of the match. 

Tbf Owling he was, but why can we as fans all see that whenever we settle for a draw the wheels come off. If teams attack us, we concede good chances for them to score.

They went for it, credit to their manager for building up the momentum with his subs but we boosted that momentum hugely. I don't actually have an issue with changing players due to tiredness, but if we as fans can see that pace is unsettling them why can't Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber on the sidelines keep the pace levels on.

It's so frustrating that he loses too many of this tactical tussles with other managers 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf Owling he was, but why can we as fans all see that whenever we settle for a draw the wheels come off. If teams attack us, we concede good chances for them to score.

They went for it, credit to their manager for building up the momentum with his subs but we boosted that momentum hugely. I don't actually have an issue with changing players due to tiredness, but if we as fans can see that pace is unsettling them why can't Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber on the sidelines keep the pace levels on.

It's so frustrating that he loses too many of this tactical tussles with other managers 

I was surprised we didn't chuck a fresh Hunt on if actually fit now after his illness. The excellent Palmer, superb tonight, was blowing badly late on.  

1 minute ago, MAL said:

They should have pondered for another 20 minutes or so.

Thing is I don't disagree with making subs when tiredness hits. And taking one of them off was possibly a reasonable thing to do. 

I just dislike it was done with negative intent. It's not like I would expect in an away game against top of the table to go gung ho, more you can't hand them the initiative even more than they had