Owls v Chairboys match thread - time to end the winless home run!

Reesh

That was a rather enjoyable game to watch. Deserved the win overall and probably did enough to warrant the 2 goal win

A lot of positives from that game against a side that are better than their position suggests

Johnson and James look like they have an excellent understanding of each others game down the left. Vaulks had his best game in a Wednesday shirt. Heneghan was very solid in the air.

• Like 1

I thought that was a good display, at both ends of the pitch. Ihiekwe and Heneghan were excellent, as was James. Vaulks was good, Bannan was good. Smith was good. Both wing backs overall played well.

My only gripe? Quality into the box. The amount of overloads we had and non pressured crossing positions was very high, but it was either flat or behind people.

There were some moments of real quality between Bannan and Windass.

A load of 7’s and some 8’s, good win and fully deserved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Aye, I'd already edited it before I saw your post. Couldn't remember his spelling so put owt in whilst I looked on page 1 then changed it. 

See so many different spellings for him.

Was funny seeing the Wycombe fans giving Stockdale hammer late on for slow timing.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I'd want Byers back in if fit .

I certainly wouldn't argue with that, although I thought Vaulks had his best game for us. I think Will gives us a little bit more legs and mobility where as Byers might be a better ball player.

Both decent in the air as well

He took time to find his feet last season and seems the same this season. He is very very important to how we play and for chance creation and it is good to see him back to something like he was. 

And a good interview.

A happy Saturday evening again. First time in 3 weeks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Reesh said:

He took time to find his feet last season and seems the same this season. He is very very important to how we play and for chance creation and it is good to see him back to something like he was. 

And a good interview.

A happy Saturday evening again. First time in 3 weeks.

And a chance to enjoy it for a whole week!   😊

I was quite surprised by how many of the Wycombe players were comfortable on the ball today: they looked a decent footballing side up until a point.  That 11 looked quite a bag of tricks.  Thankfully they missed a couple of good chances.  I was also impressed with their ex-Livi keeper.  Neat and tidy and made a very good save early on, as did ours.  First time I've seen him 'in the flesh' as I've not been up to see Livingstone since before Covid. 

My compliments do not extend as far as that dirty git who apparently got booked twice: the second one should have been a straight red for dangerous play anyway.  (One of the mates heard someone in the crowd say that his first booking was rescinded.)  Nor that pillock 6 who obviously wanted Smith's shirt so badly that he couldn't wait for the final whistle.  (Of course that's not a foul, is it ref?)

23 minutes ago, Reesh said:

I'll enjoy it even more if Ipswich fail to win tomorrow 

That will mean Plymouth go above us. 

But actually I would still prefer this as I (famous last words to bite me on the arris) don't think they will last the pace all season. 

3 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I was quite surprised by how many of the Wycombe players were comfortable on the ball today: they looked a decent footballing side up until a point.  That 11 looked quite a bag of tricks.  Thankfully they missed a couple of good chances.  I was also impressed with their ex-Livi keeper.  Neat and tidy and made a very good save early on, as did ours.  First time I've seen him 'in the flesh' as I've not been up to see Livingstone since before Covid. 

My compliments do not extend as far as that dirty git who apparently got booked twice: the second one should have been a straight red for dangerous play anyway.  (One of the mates heard someone in the crowd say that his first booking was rescinded.)  Nor that pillock 6 who obviously wanted Smith's shirt so badly that he couldn't wait for the final whistle.  (Of course that's not a foul, is it ref?)

The skill that did Heneghan for their goal was outrageous.

Ainsworth was complimentary about us but looks a nightmare to cut and paste the interview.

Their forum is a mixed bag, most impressed with us but some scathing at their own side.

https://gasroom.org/discussion/7743/match-day-thread-sheffield-wednesday

Just now, MAL said:

That will mean Plymouth go above us. 

But actually I would still prefer this as I (famous last words to bite me on the arris) don't think they will last the pace all season. 

Yeah that's my thinking too and would be interesting to see how Ipswich react to their first loss.

Vaulks has done nothing to warrant a start and, apparently, was poor v Burton, so a good call be DM. I’d have gone with Bakinson, but Vaulks was close to being MotM. 

I wasn’t expecting much from Hennigan, but he had a solid game. 

Don’t know why Grimmer’s first yellow was rescinded. Both fouls ( on Gregory and Windas) merit yellow. The second, by Grimmer, borderline red. 

Ref was very lenient, with cards and whistle. Could have booked Bannan early on but set a precedent with a few words.

The front three is what we’ve been lacking for ages. Windass at his best working across the pitch behind the front two. 

4 minutes ago, M42Owl said:

Vaulks has done nothing to warrant a start and, apparently, was poor v Burton, so a good call be DM. I’d have gone with Bakinson, but Vaulks was close to being MotM. 

I wasn’t expecting much from Hennigan, but he had a solid game. 

Don’t know why Grimmer’s first yellow was rescinded. Both fouls ( on Gregory and Windas) merit yellow. The second, by Grimmer, borderline red. 

Ref was very lenient, with cards and whistle. Could have booked Bannan early on but set a precedent with a few words.

The front three is what we’ve been lacking for ages. Windass at his best working across the pitch behind the front two. 

I agree with almost everything there but Bakinson was even worse than Vaulks on Tuesday, and that's saying something!  😱

Bannan is the only midfield player who is guaranteed a start. And we can change accordingly. I’ve said a few times but I think that against the more physical sides, Vaulks should play. And in games where we will dominate the ball, then you can look at Byers. 

What a lot may not have noticed was the screening job that Vaulks did in front of Vokes, it helped both Heneghan and Ihiekwe out because he made it difficult for Vokes to jump, and our centre halves could win clean headers.

• Like 1

The fact we CAN change it up if needed with different types of players in key positions is testament to the recruitment and backing Moore has.

For me we have yet to click into gear like we did post Xmas and that is what gives me confidence, but there is still that gnawing doubt in games that we shoot ourselves in the foot which will define the season.

Vaulks showed what we were expecting of him today, he was very good. Bannan too.

However, the first half performances of Gregory and Smith for me were fantastic. They got where water wouldn’t, Gregory was as athletic as I think we’ve seen him, and to be fair Smith the same. But they linked well too. The only criticism of Gregory for me was that he snatched at a few half chances but I suppose that comes from not scoring for a bit.

overall though, a more than deserved win. Good stuff 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

The skill that did Heneghan for their goal was outrageous.

Ainsworth was complimentary about us but looks a nightmare to cut and paste the interview.

Their forum is a mixed bag, most impressed with us but some scathing at their own side.

https://gasroom.org/discussion/7743/match-day-thread-sheffield-wednesday

“We had some good chances and we created as many chances as any team will probably get here as this is an unbelievable place to come," Ainsworth told the Bucks Free Press.
“It’s intimidating, they are a huge club with some fantastic players and Darren Moore has recruited really well.

“I am not trying to take anything away from Sheffield, but when we get our moments, we need to make them count.

“Sheffield did do that as every set piece was on the button, they hit the target with their shots, a few of our passes went off today and we didn’t really test Stocko [David Stockdale] enough.

“I also think they [Wednesday] will be right up there. They will get out of this league, but they have got big competition in Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton to name a few – teams that get around 20,000 crowds a week. That makes a big difference.”

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

“We had some good chances and we created as many chances as any team will probably get here as this is an unbelievable place to come," Ainsworth told the Bucks Free Press.
“It’s intimidating, they are a huge club with some fantastic players and Darren Moore has recruited really well.

“I am not trying to take anything away from Sheffield, but when we get our moments, we need to make them count.

“Sheffield did do that as every set piece was on the button, they hit the target with their shots, a few of our passes went off today and we didn’t really test Stocko [David Stockdale] enough.

“I also think they [Wednesday] will be right up there. They will get out of this league, but they have got big competition in Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton, Bolton to name a few – teams that get around 20,000 crowds a week. That makes a big difference.”

That’s fair

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reesh said:

From their forum

"I thought today also showed how much of a loss Stockdale was in the summer, his distribution was excellent"

anyone else see their lad think it was the 50s again and take Stockdale out from a cross, ref thankfully spotted it.

There were a few challenges where they ‘left a bit on’ throughout the game 

53 minutes ago, PP2 said:

Reese James looks better and better whenever I see him. Always said he needs to play to get the best out of Johnson. Johnson had a better game but not back to his best.

Bannon and Parmer-Stalwarts as usual and their critics just disappear. Long may it continue.

Ihekwy is just so effective whilst being almost invisible.

I feared the worse when Biers was missing which proved the case, biers instead of Valks and we'd have smashed them.

Great to see Patterson on the scaresheet, he always puts a shift in even though he's crap.

Just been over on Owlstalk to cast my vote for MOTM, I voted Bannon but they have it as around 50% for Smith. Can't complain with that as him and Gregary both put a shift in and both were effective.

Dawsen in goal and we don't win that game.

Good moaning!   😋

• Haha 1