All Star game….

HoylandOwl

Ridiculous suggestion!

Imagine if the The Pigs were in the PL and they had players in the side? It would be the first time I’d ever want the South of England to beat the North of England at anything.

And then there’s the supporters who do actually go. Two stands with the likes of Man Utd, L**ds and Liverpool supporters congregated together, with the other two having Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham supporters in it. It would be utter carnage!

Tbh. As much as it pains me, Klopp’s reaction to the suggestion is something I  can get behind

He’s said there’s no time to play the game, in the US there are big breaks between seasons which allow for games like that. 
He also sort of suggests like Bells said. It would be ‘interesting’ to see Spurs/Arsenal, then Liverpool/Man City players in the same team, representing the league. 

It’s farcical and indicative of another owner simply not understanding the game he’s invested in. He’s also forgotten the massive focus on the international game, which again, aside from Basketball and Ice Hockey does not exist in the other two staple sports in the US.

It still makes me laugh that by winning the NBA or World Series, you are crowned as the world champs.

1 hour ago, KrolMong said:

It’s farcical and indicative of another owner simply not understanding the game he’s invested in ...

This pretty much sums it up.  

Until you consider that it's just a simple money-spinner, in which case you have to say he understands the Premiere League fundamentals rather well.  

4 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Ridiculous suggestion!

Imagine if the The Pigs were in the PL and they had players in the side? It would be the first time I’d ever want the South of England to beat the North of England at anything.

And then there’s the supporters who do actually go. Two stands with the likes of Man Utd, L**ds and Liverpool supporters congregated together, with the other two having Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham supporters in it. It would be utter carnage!

As if it would be played in England and not Oman /Qatar 

Managers don't have a leg to stand on spouting too many games while ever their clubs are organising promotional tours whenever there's a gap.

Objectively it could work if they regionalised it and held it when there wasn't any end of season international tournaments. 

If it followed the Origins type of format you could regionalise with Premier League and Championship players representing the area of the club they're contracted to. You could even have a next gen series for U21s. Or you could run it like the 100 or IPL and have auctions with each area having a set budget (fantasy football for real)

Sky and BT don't have the world cup and would throw barrow loads of money at this as an alternative to watch. The Premier League stands to lose a quarter of its players to the World Cup. Some teams, like Chelsea may lose over half their squad but some may lose 1 or 2 and even none. But these teams have booked warm weather camps and will be playing some games. You may find a mini Euro League going off in Spain or Portugal. 

Players not involved will still be playing anyway so why not set up a 100 or Origins style mini tournament? There'd be obvious contract stipulations for injuries etc but these could be covered by the same covenant used for International duty. 

Edited by Tylluan
  • Like 1

The rest of the football pyramid is continuing so there is still football going on - just to say 

I don't think BT or Sky would want to show such a game without the best players being available 

As Gary Neville has pointed out, the US investors / owners will have no qualms about riding roughshod over the traditions of the game and not give a toss about the pyramid. It is time for a football regulator but lets be clear that is way down - if it exists on it at all - the to do list of Liz Truss. In fact they are more likely to acquiesce to anyone who follows free market principles 

6 hours ago, Bellsview said:

Ridiculous suggestion!

Team selection for American All-Star games is done by public voting so it's unlikely there'd ever be a P*g in the team. It'd be made up of the top 5 or 6 teams. 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The rest of the football pyramid is continuing so there is still football going on - just to say 

I don't think BT or Sky would want to show such a game without the best players being available 

As Gary Neville has pointed out, the US investors / owners will have no qualms about riding roughshod over the traditions of the game and not give a toss about the pyramid. It is time for a football regulator but lets be clear that is way down - if it exists on it at all - the to do list of Liz Truss. In fact they are more likely to acquiesce to anyone who follows free market principles 

Salah, Diaz, Haaland, Kieta, Zinchenko, all not going. 

21 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Managers don't have a leg to stand on spouting too many games while ever their clubs are organising promotional tours whenever there's a gap.

Objectively it could work if they regionalised it and held it when there wasn't any end of season international tournaments. 

If it followed the Origins type of format you could regionalise with Premier League and Championship players representing the area of the club they're contracted to. You could even have a next gen series for U21s. Or you could run it like the 100 or IPL and have auctions with each area having a set budget (fantasy football for real)

Sky and BT don't have the world cup and would throw barrow loads of money at this as an alternative to watch. The Premier League stands to lose a quarter of its players to the World Cup. Some teams, like Chelsea may lose over half their squad but some may lose 1 or 2 and even none. But these teams have booked warm weather camps and will be playing some games. You may find a mini Euro League going off in Spain or Portugal. 

Players not involved will still be playing anyway so why not set up a 100 or Origins style mini tournament? There'd be obvious contract stipulations for injuries etc but these could be covered by the same covenant used for International duty. 

The cricket '100' is an absolute abortion with no redeeming features. Don't give football arseholes ideas please.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EBRA said:

I get the focus was on the north south bit … but the point he made about bottom 4 playoff … sounded very much like a closed shop approach for PL.

Shows how he’s slipping into his new shoes perfectly. Like most of the rest of the bigwigs up there. Keep the Prem to themselves and F everyone else.

Reading this thread got me thinking I was sure I'd attended a game in the 80s where Rotherham were playing Swansea in a playoff semi. I was sure Rotherham were in the division above at the time. 

Looked it up and in 87 and 88 the playoffs were made up of the team just avoiding relegation and the 3 teams just missing out on promotion from the division below. 

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Reading this thread got me thinking I was sure I'd attended a game in the 80s where Rotherham were playing Swansea in a playoff semi. I was sure Rotherham were in the division above at the time. 

Looked it up and in 87 and 88 the playoffs were made up of the team just avoiding relegation and the 3 teams just missing out on promotion from the division below. 

I like that format TBH.

On 15/09/2022 at 10:39, Owling_Wolf said:

The cricket '100' is an absolute abortion with no redeeming features. Don't give football arseholes ideas please.  

I’ve just been reading about the Strauss review on how to improve the England team. And I quote…

”Sky accounts for 70% of cricket’s income, and their insistence that The Hundred is played in August means that this isn’t up for discussion in the review.”

Don't hold your breath waiting for it go.