All English League games off this weekend as a mark of respect to HRH.

HoylandOwl

41 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

I don’t want to sound disrespectful, but I’m sick of turning on anything on Sky Sports now and them asking anyone who’ll listen about their thoughts on the passing of the queen.

Literally just said to the Mrs thank God for streaming services and the chance to watch something other than the public being interviewed just for filling in time 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Out of interest given today is an anniversary date for other reasons, did football continue the weekend after ? 

More whether there were concerns about terrorism 

Trying to recall 🤔

I remember crawling out of someone's bed to go play Sunday league, switching the TV on and thinking the Queen mum had gone, not Diana. Then the day just seemed normal after that. 

But I was in Blackpool on her funeral weekend and nothing was open. Even the pleasure beach closed til 5pm

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Literally just said to the Mrs thank God for streaming services and the chance to watch something other than the public being interviewed just for filling in time 

The queen would’ve probably wanted the country not to make a massive fuss tbf .

stopping sporting events costing people money when the country is fucked anyway would’ve been the last thing she wanted.

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

I remember crawling out of someone's bed to go play Sunday league, switching the TV on and thinking the Queen mum had gone, not Diana. Then the day just seemed normal after that. 

But I was in Blackpool on her funeral weekend and nothing was open. Even the pleasure beach closed til 5pm

Think you're mixing up what today is the anniversary of

National league back on. Given other sports are ongoing absolute zero reason for football not to.

No games scheduled for next Monday anyhow, as international week follows next weekends fixtures.

Let's have some semblance of normality please. I will speak for a minority perhaps, but with the news and these days social media feeds full on about death, mourning etc etc, a reminder not all of us want to share grief, have it to a fashion enforced on us. That our coping mechanism is to carry on.

There’s a “national police response”, so assume the impact might be felt nationwide. 

Brighton Palace has been off a while apparently because of the rail strikes. Although they’re now cancelled it will remain postponed. 

It feels a little convenient that Chelsea Liverpool is off after talk that a factor in the whole weekend’s postponements was fears that some fans wouldn’t be respectful.

After all, you know what those Chelsea fans can be like. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Paul from Wisewood said:

Is it fuck a derby, the stripey Nigel’s might try to claim it is to justify their pointless existence though

The two are 45 miles apart.  Wednesday and Bradford are closer.  

Joke to call it a derby.  Is it not more of a rivalry stemming back to a match in 70s or 80s.  Also Gus Poyet taking a 💩 in the Palace changing room.

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Absolutely getting away from this fucking nonsense 

The next monarch should be a Muslim or Jew - be done and dusted in 48 hours 

Not nearly!   I was living in Saudi where all we expats were eagerly looking forwards to the 1982 World Cup. Then King Khalid died and we got about a week of solemn music and a royal test card instead. (Only one national channel.) 

Our mate who'd bought the only directional t.v. aerial in town suddenly found he'd got lots of extra friends to watch Bahraini coverage for the first few days of the footie, before normal service was resumed after the funeral.  Definitely a lot longer than 48 hours.