2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

20 minutes ago, Dronowl66 said:

Whatever your views on Chansiri the one thing that cannot be argued is that funds have always been available , how those funds have been used has been the issue in the past . Its a sad indictment that half of our fan base will be hoping we win on Saturday but also hoping for there moment in the sun If we lose and they can jump on Twatter and attck Chansiri and Moore again 

Sadly true.  Both points. 

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

If we fail to get promoted the criticism for not strengthening this window will be fierce. 

It’s a gamble. The concern for me is what has influenced our decision making. Simply a case of not pulling off deals we were working on or are the funds not available? 

I just think the players we wanted weren’t available.

But as you say, if we don’t go up, then DM’s position will be untenable to a lot of the fan base who just don’t rate him. Although, it isn’t necessarily his fault.

I think we've probably been a bit unlucky this time.  Some of the better sounding, younger candidates seemed to become unavailable late  on.  Celtic decided not to let their player out, or made that known, late on.  It sounds like the young striker at QPR wasn't allowed out after Lyndon Dykes unfortunately ended up in hospital.  

So here's to us having better luck in getting one or two of our own back from injury a bit quicker than originally expected: Reece James especially.  

Edited by Owling_Wolf
  • Like 1

Our inactivity goes both ways. We haven't lost anyone and there were nibbles. We didn't need to scramble round trying to find, possibly inferior, replacements. 

I did a bit of work for a couple of other clubs and the fees/wages splits parent clubs were asking for loanees was stupid across the board. Then you had agents getting greedy as well. One PL kids loan move almost didn't go through because his agent wanted £50k for 'allowing' his player to move. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Our inactivity goes both ways. We haven't lost anyone and there were nibbles. We didn't need to scramble round trying to find, possibly inferior, replacements. 

I did a bit of work for a couple of other clubs and the fees/wages splits parent clubs were asking for loanees was stupid across the board. Then you had agents getting greedy as well. One PL kids loan move almost didn't go through because his agent wanted £50k for 'allowing' his player to move. 

That last bit: what a verminous bastard they are. 

• Like 1

While I would have liked a forward with a bit of pace and tricks, most of the wants that, and they cost the big money. 

I've got doubts about Moore but tbf he and DC money have brought it quality players. But he has to deliver this season 

• Thanks 1

If I was to be critical I’d say that we had plenty of time to get our house in order and deals should have been sniffed out before the window even opened.

Let’s face it, Plymouth and Ipswich didn’t exactly hang about did they?

If we do fail to go up automatically then I’m afraid yes, I’ll be one of those looking at this transfer window and asking questions. 

But if it has no bearing and we do go up, I’ll gladly hold my hands up, call it a master stroke and eat another slice of humble pie.

We will have tried to get the players we wanted. We will have spent all January doing that. For whatever reasons the deals didn't come off . 

We could have signed some players for the sake of it, players we didn't really want and would not improve the squad, just to appease the more hard of thinking elements of our fanbase. 

I'm glad we didn't do that.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, JBO said:

We will have tried to get the players we wanted. We will have spent all January doing that. For whatever reasons the deals didn't come off . 

We could have signed some players for the sake of it, players we didn't really want and would not improve the squad, just to appease the more hard of thinking elements of our fanbase. 

I'm glad we didn't do that.

Jordan Rhodes 

No further questions 

2 hours ago, Bellsview said:

If I was to be critical I’d say that we had plenty of time to get our house in order and deals should have been sniffed out before the window even opened.

Let’s face it, Plymouth and Ipswich didn’t exactly hang about did they?

If we do fail to go up automatically then I’m afraid yes, I’ll be one of those looking at this transfer window and asking questions. 

But if it has no bearing and we do go up, I’ll gladly hold my hands up, call it a master stroke and eat another slice of humble pie.

Our squad is good enough to go up with or without this window. If we don't go up then the blame is for me down to Moore. He's done well with recruitment but I'd like us to stop fannying about and release the shackles sometimes. Him settling for a point after conceding late against Plymouth away ended us coming home with nowt. I'd also prefer him to play his best 11 each time instead of persisting with Paterson...

Also when Smith is on the pitch, get Marvin crossing the bastard ball in, play to the strengths and averages.

Countless times we get a free kick and we take it further back from where it was awarded and it goes backwards, it drives me potty! Other teams steal a bit further forward and put the opposition under pressure.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Our squad is good enough to go up with or without this window. If we don't go up then the blame is for me down to Moore. He's done well with recruitment but I'd like us to stop fannying about and release the shackles sometimes. Him settling for a point after conceding late against Plymouth away ended us coming home with nowt. I'd also prefer him to play his best 11 each time instead of persisting with Paterson...

Also when Smith is on the pitch, get Marvin crossing the bastard ball in, play to the strengths and averages.

Countless times we get a free kick and we take it further back from where it was awarded and it goes backwards, it drives me potty! Other teams steal a bit further forward and put the opposition under pressure.

Agreed.

Plymouth game worries me. It shouldn't because we're more than good enough we dhowed that down there.

If Moore goes all "Carlos " and bottles it were in trouble. Believe in the players ability. It's his I doubt. 

While our midfield is a strength we lack real mobility and pace in there, Barnsley exposed that, and Plymouth have that as well. Play on front foot we'll be ok

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus that our squad is good enough, and I also agree that we shouldn’t sign players for the sake of it.

I just think it’s the injuries and lack of cover at centre back which worries me, otherwise I wouldn’t have any major concerns over not bringing new faces in - and it isn’t lost on me, as again has been stated, that we haven’t lost any players either, as was thought might happen.

Maybe the fact our next two league games are versus Plymouth and Ipswich, both of which have strengthened, is also giving me the jitters.

I suppose I should really have more confidence in our squad.

We needed a reserve centre half for the bench or pushing Palmer to go back out wide, especially as Ihiekwe looks to be out longer than expected and Famewo pulled up (with cramp?) Hence looking at Hector and asking about the kid from Celtic. 

A quicker centre forward is always nice to have but I don't know if one would actually fit into our current style of play. I also think we have forward players in the 21s who could step up if there's a crisis 

17 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

We needed a reserve centre half for the bench or pushing Palmer to go back out wide, especially as Ihiekwe looks to be out longer than expected and Famewo pulled up (with cramp?) Hence looking at Hector and asking about the kid from Celtic. 

A quicker centre forward is always nice to have but I don't know if one would actually fit into our current style of play. I also think we have forward players in the 21s who could step up if there's a crisis 

Agreed. I think we both mentioned Jebbison who at the time was hinted they would let him out on loan. Obviously unlikely to us, but his type would have been perfect. 

The lad will go onto bigger and better things. 

I think Jaden Brown is going to be the reserve centre half and we currently have 5 strikers fighting over 2 slots. Wilks has pace and isn't getting much of a sniff, even when he does he doesn't fit in with our style.

The squad looks harmonious at the mo, they all look to be playing for each other. I'm normally on the grandstand, but we sat on the north last Saturday and we visibly noticed the appreciation between the players. I take the bird in the hand and if it doesn't work, I don't blame DM... 

If we don’t lose to Plymouth, Ipswich and Barnsley. We’ll get promoted comfortably. The key isn’t necessarily the centre halves, it’s making sure that we keep the two B’s and Vaulks fit. Those three, with Adeniran in reserve will allow us to go back to dominating the ball, which against the rest of the division is more than enough.

In fact, I’d simply say that if Byers, Bannan, Vaulks, Windass and Smith are fit. They play every game.

I’m actually pleased we haven’t brought a body in for just the sake of it. We’ve got Flint, Palmer, Famewo, Iorfa, and James can’t be that far off. If we can always ensure three of them are fit, we’ll be fine. We can then let that midfield three run the show.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

I think Jaden Brown is going to be the reserve centre half and we currently have 5 strikers fighting over 2 slots. Wilks has pace and isn't getting much of a sniff, even when he does he doesn't fit in with our style.

The squad looks harmonious at the mo, they all look to be playing for each other. I'm normally on the grandstand, but we sat on the north last Saturday and we visibly noticed the appreciation between the players. I take the bird in the hand and if it doesn't work, I don't blame DM... 

The thought of this frightens the life out of me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

Apparently Derby were back sniffing around Gregory, but we told them to do one.

Probably more to unsettle as I think they can't pay fees.

Thought they were also supposed to be under wage restrictions but they don't seem that hampered this season as I thought they would.

50 minutes ago, Reesh said:

He didn't come through the academy and how do you know he left for nowt...

I mean the fact he has joined Borehamwood suggests that is the level we consider he is good enough for.

You enjoyed Borehamwood though even you cringed when I suggested Aziz looked like a terrorist when he grew a full on beard