Bolton (A) Match Thread - Not as good as GermanOwl

HoylandOwl

I’ll keep it short.

We looked big and organized. Especially spine wise. The front two worked tirelessly. Both were very good. Bannan, Byers and Bakinson ran the show.

I thought Bakinson and the Mcguinness were very good.

Palmer excellent too. Lots of 7’s and 8’s today.

We play like that away every week, we’ll win a lot of games.

• Like 2

"One word. Outclassed. Look at how Barry Bannan played in midfield, We have no such player. Just look at his role in their first goal when Santos messed up. He exuded quality to set it up. He pulled the string throughout the game and every Sheffield player was up to it. Their new signing from up the league (Cardiff) McGuinness was thrown right in by Moore and immediately plugged their weakness defensively on the left side. Thats what you get with quality. We need a couple signings from above to really make us promotion candidates.

Today we saw the benchmark standard required to be competing at the top of the league. There is a gap we need to close. No excuses. Our players were simply outclassed at home."

Edited by Reesh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great away performance. Palmer outstanding,  Iorfa much better,  new lad very solid,  and Bakinson an excellent all round game. 

Not going to be popular opinion but with options in CM, if we got a decent offer for FDB, and it helps us finance a forward, I'd take it,especially if he's stalling on contract 

7 hours ago, bricat said:

Mc Guinness, totally right footed, surely cannot be playing on our left hand side from where we have conceded all goals against this season.

I don't think many will have expected that today, bri. A very good debut though and I thought all three played well. Good to see Iorfa play like we remember and Ihiekwe (?) looked the part in the middle.  

Overall, a deserved win, but it could have gone either way. For the first half hour they looked like they could score whenever they went forward: we were barely hanging on. And going forward, all our key passes were over hit. 
Then they missed the gifted one on one and the game changed. 30 seconds later, a Gregory header went close, another 5 minutes and we were two up. It was nail biting at times, but Bolton never really threatened after that bad miss. We need to cut out these lapses where we are caught in possession. It’ll cost us points eventually. In fact it already has.

5 hours ago, Reesh said:

He's a fucking right bellend

That Bolton fan wants chinning back to his dads ballsack

I assume you mean thogden not Ipswich/West Ham/Bolton fan fusion_josh.  🤣 I guess if you support half the teams in the country in a vlog eventually you’ll get some free shit out of it.

6 hours ago, owl71 said:

I assume you mean thogden not Ipswich/West Ham/Bolton fan fusion_josh.  🤣 I guess if you support half the teams in the country in a vlog eventually you’ll get some free shit out of it.

Thogden, him and his dad, surprised the little **** hasn't been slapped about a bit more

You know most vloggers are likely to be future sex offenders.

16 hours ago, Reesh said:

"One word. Outclassed. Look at how Barry Bannan played in midfield, We have no such player. Just look at his role in their first goal when Santos messed up. He exuded quality to set it up. He pulled the string throughout the game and every Sheffield player was up to it. Their new signing from up the league (Cardiff) McGuinness was thrown right in by Moore and immediately plugged their weakness defensively on the left side. Thats what you get with quality. We need a couple signings from above to really make us promotion candidates.

Today we saw the benchmark standard required to be competing at the top of the league. There is a gap we need to close. No excuses. Our players were simply outclassed at home."

I’m not sure they were outclassed but it was bits of quality that got us our goals.

Interesting though how he’s saying that and the gimps on the ITV highlights show seemed to be implying Bolton were unlucky, dicks - did they actually watch the game - no obviously.

We we’re worth our win. Yes Bolton had chances but I think we at least matched them on number of chances and after the first 20mins (which you always expect the home side to come out strong, especially if they are confident) we had them pretty much umder our control.

Really good debut for McGuinness, no one less than  a 7 all round.

Stockdale is improving as he gets to know the lads and is starting to use his shithousery for our benefit, can’t wait until we play Wycombe!

• Like 2

Great to see we are including shithousery in our repertoire now.

McGuinness debut one of the best for a long time. Didn't need the volume obviously. Let's stick to selecting the best available squad for each match as it comes, they are professional athletes.

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

I’m not sure they were outclassed but it was bits of quality that got us our goals.

Interesting though how he’s saying that and the gimps on the ITV highlights show seemed to be implying Bolton were unlucky, dicks - did they actually watch the game - no obviously.

We we’re worth our win. Yes Bolton had chances but I think we at least matched them on number of chances and after the first 20mins (which you always expect the home side to come out strong, especially if they are confident) we had them pretty much umder our control.

Really good debut for McGuinness, no one less than  a 7 all round.

Stockdale is improving as he gets to know the lads and is starting to use his shithousery for our benefit, can’t wait until we play Wycombe!

I picked up on the ITV comments too. Dross.  And as for the usual loser comments, the only thing they controlled or dominated, (yawn), was possession: 57/43.  Shots and on target both equal.  He also implies they gave us the goals. Remember that huge chance we gave them, just before we scored? The one they missed horribly. 

Our goals were just about all we had, he says. Err... the Windass chance that most of us would have scored?  Mind you, he does have previous at talking drivel. "The best team in the league."  (Last season.)  

Thing is Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth (?) probably don't miss that chance so that's us 1-0 down instead of 1 up. They probably don't make that horrendous back pass, that started the build up for our first goal, or balloon that free kick, just before half time, into row z. 

We dodged a bullet or two, yesterday. We still made mistakes that would have been capitalised on by better teams. For some reason the play into our forward line isn't making them effective in their primary role. I joked yesterday that it must be a tactical master plan to make the opposition worry that much over our front line that they don't pick the holding midfielder or marauding wing back. But that's a worry. 

Tee, I don't want Gregory to be a Nuhiu tribute act, with knock downs and hold up play outside the box. I want him forcing centre halves backwards then finding a bit of space and getting a shot away. 

The fact he's doing so much outside the box shows that, in general play, our middle 3 doesn't function as it should. If we're playing through the phases then Gregory and Windass shouldn't be part of it til it gets to the 18 yard line

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Thing is Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth (?) probably don't miss that chance so that's us 1-0 down instead of 1 up. They probably don't make that horrendous back pass, that started the build up for our first goal, or balloon that free kick, just before half time, into row z. 

We dodged a bullet or two, yesterday. We still made mistakes that would have been capitalised on by better teams. For some reason the play into our forward line isn't making them effective in their primary role. I joked yesterday that it must be a tactical master plan to make the opposition worry that much over our front line that they don't pick the holding midfielder or marauding wing back. But that's a worry. 

You know something I noticed. A constant switch of positions between Bannan and Windass. There were times where Windass would come deep and Bannan would go ahead of him and alongside Gregory. And actually, I didn’t think it worked as you often had Gregory isolated with Bannan and Windass 15 yards away from him. Bannan particularly looked on the periphery and was so focused on keeping shape that the stuff he is good at got neglected.

That said, after the goal it did click as we then started to press with those three and then you had Bannan pulling the strings a bit more with Windass running down the sides.

I’d almost say that we were playing a 3-4-2-1 at times.

I semi understand having Windass come deep at times as he’s very good at running down the sides from deeper positions.

4 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Hang on, Ty. I'm sure we spent the week before last being told on here how tough last week was going to be: away against Peterborough and Bolton.  Now there's a list of clubs shown that wouldn't have failed like Bolton did?  Have things changed 'cos we've beaten them, then: the first team to do so for fourteen games, was it?  (A bit like Groucho Marx not wanting to join any club that would let him be a member?)  And one of those teams that wouldn't have failed against us like Bolton is Peterborough, who did sod-all against us until our twerp volunteered for an early bath.  🙄

I appreciate and respect the professional's attitude of, look for anything that might go wrong and make sure it doesn't, but give us a bit of credit.  Anyone can miss a big chance, we see it regularly: see under 'Windass' yesterday.  😉   They're human beings, some of whom also play for Portsmouth, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth (?).      Enjoy it for a bit.  🙂👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Tee, I don't want Gregory to be a Nuhiu tribute act, with knock downs and hold up play outside the box. I want him forcing centre halves backwards then finding a bit of space and getting a shot away. 

The fact he's doing so much outside the box shows that, in general play, our middle 3 doesn't function as it should. If we're playing through the phases then Gregory and Windass shouldn't be part of it til it gets to the 18 yard line

I'm with you absolutely on that Ty, he's our number 9 as the song goes. And I'd like him to be that. But it can't be ignored that he's just a very good footballer.

• Like 1