Sunderland - Carabao Cup Round 1 - Match Thread

Happy with that draw - a good chance to progress

Thoroughly deserved to go through tonight. Quite a lot of championship sides have gone out at the first stage, which can only be a good thing

As controversial as it may be, we should build the team around Dennis Adeniran. Man of the match by a mile tonight. Him and Dele-Bashiru should be the first two names on the team sheet

Edited by Kiwi Owl

23 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Some fucking faux pas in that report.

Why is Windass mentioned and do we really play Peterborough next

They are trying to make you look stupid as have now changed it to Charlton but it did say Peterborough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylluan said:

Would leave Wee Barry handing in a late transfer request. 

Ty,let's be frank here

We moved players on and Moore developed a formation t get the best out of him, but we've been relegated since and we're well off it last season.

DM has since bought defenders used to being in a 4 and picked up some decent midfieldrts.

Is he preparing for Bannan to leave?

We could go to a narrow diamond to  accommodate Byers, Vaulks, FDB Adeniran and Barkinson, with Windass as the  point man if we sign a couple of strikers.

• Like 1

Their manager said the following.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-neil-sunderland-sheffield-wednesday-24726290

I really don’t like him. ‘Wrong foot’ ‘all our own doing’ ‘they had a good 7 or 8 minutes’  

Piss off, you were easily beaten, you chose to change all your team for your weaker players, take some responsibility you nob. 

Funny how the article starts "Alex Neil shouldered the blame" and then he goes onto shoulder none of the blame.

Also "love" how the beeb are reporting it - "Owls ease to win over much changed Sunderland", completely ignoring the fact we made 8 changes from the MK Dons game

Talk Sport touched on Sunderlands 11 changes also and conveniently forgot to mention our changes.  

Also cited the 11 Championship teams going out as they were playing weakened teams.

With the result last night has the pressure grown a little what with showing the strength in depth we have especially in central midfield.   I'm a Bannan fan but would love to see a 3 of Dennis / FDB and Byers or Vaulks at some point.

Was impressed with Ihiekwe last night and wondered in him and Heneghan could allow us to play a 4 at back ?

21 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Talk Sport touched on Sunderlands 11 changes also and conveniently forgot to mention our changes.  

Also cited the 11 Championship teams going out as they were playing weakened teams.

With the result last night has the pressure grown a little what with showing the strength in depth we have especially in central midfield.   I'm a Bannan fan but would love to see a 3 of Dennis / FDB and Byers or Vaulks at some point.

Was impressed with Ihiekwe last night and wondered in him and Heneghan could allow us to play a 4 at back ?

I was also a lot happier with Iorfa's showing last night.  No, not a league game, but obviously you can only play against the team in front of you.  Lovely to see his pace used effectively again.

Speaking of pace: that startling moment when Neymarv suddenly went up about twelve gears down the front of the North stand: where the **** did that come from?  I know that his long stride eats up the ground but that was seriously fast!   

10 hours ago, Andyben said:

Ty,let's be frank here

We moved players on and Moore developed a formation t get the best out of him, but we've been relegated since and we're well off it last season.

DM has since bought defenders used to being in a 4 and picked up some decent midfieldrts.

Is he preparing for Bannan to leave?

We could go to a narrow diamond to  accommodate Byers, Vaulks, FDB Adeniran and Barkinson, with Windass as the  point man if we sign a couple of strikers.

I suspect you're thinking* too much on this subject.  

*wishing?  🙂

1 minute ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I was also a lot happier with Iorfa's showing last night.  No, not a league game, but obviously you can only play against the team in front of you.  Lovely to see his pace used effectively again.

Speaking of pace: that startling moment when Neymarv suddenly went up about twelve gears down the front of the North stand: where the **** did that come from?  I know that his long stride eats up the ground but that was seriously fast!   

I said to my lad in disbelief "Was that Marvin" ?

18 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

I said to my lad in disbelief "Was that Marvin" ?

I reckon he'll have been a reight player earlier in his career. Strangely, I don't remember him in the past.  🙄

He's a cracking signing for us, especially in the circumstances of the time.  Great attitude.  

43 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

We can play a 4, pick Hunt/ Neymarv for attacking games and palmer/ James when looking to restrict. 

Vaulks and Byers at the Base depending on which FBs start.

Always Windass at top if strikers fit.

Bannan van play LCM if he adapts and sticks to plan 

7 hours ago, Otto_Man said:

Funny how the article starts "Alex Neil shouldered the blame" and then he goes onto shoulder none of the blame.

Also "love" how the beeb are reporting it - "Owls ease to win over much changed Sunderland", completely ignoring the fact we made 8 changes from the MK Dons game

It's hardly surprising, he's a belter. 

And, ignoring our changes, that's fine. We'll continue under the radar thank you.