The MK Owl Derby. Preview / Match Thread..

HoylandOwl

Do for me that.  Stockdale, Heneghan and Ihekwe doing what they were brought in for.  Exactly the kind of scrappy away win that top 2 sides need to rack up.  Absorbed a few spells of pressure pretty well.  Their best chances came from people trying to be a bit too clever on the ball.  Not worried where the goals are coming from with Smith and Gregory to come back.  

Biggest worry is the left sided centre back position.

• Like 1

FDB was excellent today and did a great job when pushed forward. I was critical of Stockdale but he did well today. 

The 2nd half was poor from us in an attacking sense and BB yet to get going. Obvious we need pace in final third. 

If MK carry on like that they will be nowhere near top 6, but who cares 

Apart from first 20 mins thought we were very flat today.  A valuable 3 points though so will take that especially with Gregory and Smith missing. 

Thought Stockdale won us the game with 2 excellent saves.  Dele Bashiru is going to improve each week and needed as Bannan below par.  Hunt, Palmer and Henegan all steady.  Famewo looked awful and was blowing before his injury. 

I still think the heat played a part - it got warmer as the game progressed, certainly felt like it did. How much that played a part, how much the defensive mess last week lead to more caution. Lack of a player to hold it up - who knows. Bit of them all.

One call I will make, I am not convinced Bannan will be an automatic starter come 2023. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I still think the heat played a part - it got warmer as the game progressed, certainly felt like it did. How much that played a part, how much the defensive mess last week lead to more caution. Lack of a player to hold it up - who knows. Bit of them all.

One call I will make, I am not convinced Bannan will be an automatic starter come 2023. 

I know what you mean about Bannan. I was quite content when he went off for Byers.

20 minutes aside, it wasn’t a great performance or game. 

I think MK makes a good point about the heat. Players on both teams looked leggy. 

Positives were we won, kept a clean sheet, the back three looked better without Iorfa. Stockdale did well and last season we probably didn’t win that game. FDB keeps improving. 

The negative was another injury. I thought he looked half decent there. Strong and positionally aware. It looked like the sort of thing that keeps our players out for a good couple of months. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chelters said:

Oh yeah and the ref again was completely anti Wednesday. Not sure what we’ve done to deserve it/ 

I know what you mean, we've picked up so many cards already and I'm sure our opponents in both games so far haven't had one (could be wrong)

However, having watched the highlights, I think we need to to thank the ref for the penalty. It looked to be clearly outside the box. Lovely forward dive from Windass though to cause some doubt.

Jeez don't peek at OT there is thread saying yesterday was "embarrassing" because of our game management approach. From the same people who invariably moaned about the late goals we conceded last season.

What I thought was important that the Wednesday fans appreciated the situation and really got behind the team from 80 minutes onwards. Think Stockdale makes reference to it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andyben said:

Far higher crowd then they used to get a Plough Lane or Selhurst. 

Move worked 

For a city of over 250k its not working that well. Was reading some comments on a FB noticeboard thing moaning that kids season tickets were no longer free. Tending to prove that discounting tickets does not promote long term loyalty. Very fickle the locals 

48 minutes ago, Skamp said:

I don't want a new ground. I love ghe old lady thank you very much. 

Redevelopment of the West Stand is all that is needed.

This for me.

I think they need to find a way of widening the North concourses too - not sure if that’s possible; got half a feeling that one of the ground changes proposals included that though.

3 hours ago, Skamp said:

I don't want a new ground. I love ghe old lady thank you very much. 

Redevelopment of the West Stand is all that is needed.

And the North. And get rid of the pillars on the kop. And maybe improve the flood defences (we were a bit close last year).

Anyway, back to yesterday's game. Based only on the highlights, I think Stockdale deserves a massive well done, after all the shit he got last week. If he's wank and gets hammer (according to some), then the same needs to happen when he has a good game. That save from the poked low effort which he gets down low to his right is brilliant. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Professor Plum said:

It was, and the double save wasn't too shabby either. They are the types of saves that Wildsmith and Dawson just couldn't make and the reason they got so much criticism. The types of saves that keeps the supporters onside.

As sad as it is, he needs to back it up at home next weekend. Only then will the noisy naysayers will start to turn positively. 

• Like 1