2022/23 Wednesday transfer thread...

Reesh

1 hour ago, M42Owl said:

A left sided defender is a priority for me.

A fit Gibson would be ideal, but I feel that if we sign him, we’ll still need another.

It's a gamble signing him if we did. He seems like the type who gets injured brushing his hair.

A fully fit Gibson with no injury problems would have been on loan in the Championship this season. His prior history put a couple of clubs off. 

BPF is interested in staying as he's feeling a bit of pressure from Luke Southwood for his Northern Ireland shirt. Southwood will most likely leave Reading next season, for a better club, and Peacock-Farrell feels he also needs regular first team football

40 minutes ago, JBO said:

There's a Cheltenham fan at work (really)

Can't remember if it was mentioned on the old thread but he said we are heavily linked down there with Will Boyle

We were linked with Boyle last summer I think 

46 minutes ago, JBO said:

There's a Cheltenham fan at work (really)

Can't remember if it was mentioned on the old thread but he said we are heavily linked down there with Will Boyle

Yeah. There’s a few bits floating about online about Boyle and us. 
Reesh is right too

7 hours ago, OptimisticOwl said:

Boyle is a left-footed CB out of contract in the summer, so it would make sense for us to be looking. I'd prefer us to sign Gibson, but his injury record is likely to get in the way.

Gibson looks a decent player when fit, but with his injury record I'd be disappointed if we did. 

His most productive spell was 11 starts with Fleetwood between Jan 2020 and the end of that season.

2 hours ago, Tylluan said:

Gibson got misdiagnosed with an injury playing for Everton U18s and has never been the same since. 

Interesting, I know a lad in their U23s and I reckon they made a mess of his injury recently. Their youth set up seems to be a bit all over the place at the moment. 

Gibson looks a very decent player, hopefully the injuries are nearly behind him and he goes on to have a good career. Showed a lot of potential in the bits we've seen of him.

17 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

I like Gibson, looks like a player who could go on and step up. He’s big and strong, good in the air, and mobile. He looks comfortable with the ball too.

I would love us to bring in him and Storey in the summer if we can get up. I like Storey too. 

I agree on Storey, I’d be very pleased if we could get him in. He’s young enough, can get better too. 

The deal that took Gibson from Newcastle to Everton had stipulations attached that would have took the fee past £6m 

At the time it was the biggest internal transfer deal for a 17 year old with no first team experience. He signed on his 17th birthday. 

Had a storming first season then broke down pre season and never been the same again

Edited by Tylluan

On 08/04/2022 at 23:35, pollhammer4 said:

Interesting, I know a lad in their U23s and I reckon they made a mess of his injury recently. Their youth set up seems to be a bit all over the place at the moment.

They've also missed another injury. The young lad who recently broke through to the first team, Anthony Gordon, appears to be having a terrible time trying to remain upright. Any opponent coming within five yards of him and his leg muscles automatically disintegrate.

4 minutes ago, Reesh said:

There's an article in the Star today about Harlee Dean, he is available on a free despite having another year on his contract, would you make a move for him? 

100 % yes ( regardless what division were in ) 

3 hours ago, Reesh said:

There's an article in the Star today about Harlee Dean, he is available on a free despite having another year on his contract, would you make a move for him? 

Given Chey Dunkleys contract expires this year, I'm certain Dean (despite being a similar age) will be his replacement

I'll be amazed if we renew Dunkleys contract given the number of times he's been out injured since the broken leg from his Wigan days

9 hours ago, Kiwi Owl said:

Given Chey Dunkleys contract expires this year, I'm certain Dean (despite being a similar age) will be his replacement

I'll be amazed if we renew Dunkleys contract given the number of times he's been out injured since the broken leg from his Wigan days

Genuinely can’t believe we actually signed him with Fooking pins in his leg. He’s been a Reyt disaster from start to finish IMO 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wawaw said:

Genuinely can’t believe we actually signed him with Fooking pins in his leg. He’s been a Reyt disaster from start to finish IMO 

I can

Given we decided Joost Van Aken was the best centre half out of 200 defenders we looked at, Dunkley with a broken leg is a great signing.

He's had some good games here this season but not enough to renew a contract 

14 minutes ago, Kiwi Owl said:

I can

Given we decided Joost Van Aken was the best centre half out of 200 defenders we looked at, Dunkley with a broken leg is a great signing.

He's had some good games here this season but not enough to renew a contract 

Another disaster JVA 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

JVA looked decent initially in fairness to him. 
But post the United debacle at home. He wasn’t

This is true.  I remember him having some excellent games early on in his Wednesday career.  His first real stinker was in the worst possible game for him to have a bad day.  After that he had an uphill task trying to regain the trust of the fanbase, and his confidence seemed shattered.

2 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Have you forgotten the part of this season when he was the only proper centre half fit and playing?  He even scored some goals.

Yeah fair enough he did have a few games where he played well. How many 5? 10?
how many games has he been injured for,  getting paid for nowt? 

• 4 weeks later...

We're enquiring about the availability of Ben Woodburn as Liverpool won't be renewing his contract when it ends in June. He's open to staying at Hearts, especially if they secure European football next season but we're hoping we might be able to bring him back south. Got this from someone close to his family, who live in Nottingham. We tried to get him for this season but Liverpool opted for the Hearts deal. 

Will Boyle has rejected a new contract at Cheltenham and will be leaving them this summer. Has been linked with us in the past.

Not convinced he would be any better than what we currently have, but is a strong aerial presence at both ends of the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

We're enquiring about the availability of Ben Woodburn as Liverpool won't be renewing his contract when it ends in June. He's open to staying at Hearts, especially if they secure European football next season but we're hoping we might be able to bring him back south. Got this from someone close to his family, who live in Nottingham. We tried to get him for this season but Liverpool opted for the Hearts deal. 

Hearts secured European football weeks ago. Guaranteed group stage of either Europa or Conference League, depending on the result of the play off round at the start of next season.

Woodburn was on the local news a few days ago, saying how he loves Edinburgh, etc. His salary is a major stumbling block to him staying though. Think he's on around £18K per week at Liverpool. Absolutely no danger Hearts will pay him anything like that.

I still can't work out if he's actually any good, or what his best position is. His game time has dropped off quite a lot. When he does play, there's the very occasional flash of promise but, all in all, he's been pretty disappointing.

According to transfermarket these are the definites we have for next season.

Dawson, Iorfa, Brown, Bannan, Byers, Adeniran, FDB, Windass, Gregory and Alex Hunt. 

Question marks over the contract lengths given to Johnson, Sow and NML. 

Hutch, Dunkley, Luongo, Jack Hunt, Berahino, Paterson,and Wildsmith's contracts all expire in June

And just seen that Hirsty beat me to this list in another thread

Edited by Tylluan

16 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

According to transfermarket these are the definites we have for next season.

Dawson, Iorfa, Brown, Bannan, Byers, Adeniran, FDB, Windass, Gregory and Alex Hunt. 

Question marks over the contract lengths given to Johnson, Sow and NML. 

Hutch, Dunkley, Luongo, Jack Hunt, Berahino, Paterson,and Wildsmith's contracts all expire in June

And just seen that Hirsty beat me to this list in another thread

Great minds !!