Women's Euros....

3 minutes ago, HappyOwl said:

Well done lionesses but I’m not running round the garden minus my underpants all the same 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

See the young un summed it up for me. I am more than delighted for them, beating Germany is always good even more so winning the entire thing.

But its not the same feeling as if the men had won last summer.

If you are feeling that level of joy I am pleased it does feel that way for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, HappyOwl said:

I’d support England if they were playing tiddlywinks or Jenga against any other country. We’ll done lionesses it’s a proud moment 👍

Will it lead to anymore investment into grassroots will it eck 

Thing is investment in grassroots football is as relevant to the lads as much as lasses.

Made the point the other day that if more money does come into the game then clearly part should go to the top players but absolutely what they need to prevent is thinking mirroring the mens game is the right way to go. Sadly the sharks will.try and push it that way 

• Like 1

Sick of the constant media comparisons to the mens game. 
‘biggest attendance at a womens OR mens final’ 

‘did what the men couldn’t do’ 

why can’t people just enjoy it if they do and ignore it if not. I couldn’t care less about womens football just in the same way I couldn’t care less about Sunday league football. It’s a low standard but each to their own. 

21 minutes ago, 1banana2banana said:

Sick of the constant media comparisons to the mens game. 
‘biggest attendance at a womens OR mens final’ 

‘did what the men couldn’t do’ 

why can’t people just enjoy it if they do and ignore it if not. I couldn’t care less about womens football just in the same way I couldn’t care less about Sunday league football. It’s a low standard but each to their own. 

That attendance thing I don't mind, it's the biggest Euro final attendance ever. 

The latter, while true, isn't a relative competition/subject. 

23 minutes ago, JBO said:

Surely there was only a bigger attendance today than last year's final due to no segregation 

I think the unofficial attendance might have been more last year. 

Just reading all the opinion pieces, new era and all that. Like they said after the Olympics and 10 years later the story is about no lasting legacy.

Sadly I think it will be all words and less action on this as well. They will rightly enjoy their moment, but let's be honest the Premier League starts in 5 days and most of the sports media will switch attention to that 

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The only good news is the sound of glory seekers coming out the woodwork is silencing the music

Can we officially retire Its Coming Home once and for all. Putting Sweet Caroline in the same box.

I've already told my mate's lad that it's now up to his generation to come up with a replacement for  'It's coming home...".  

And as for the other one...

Right down there with 'Swing low, sweet chariot" as a sporting anthem.  The kids at games seem to love it, though.  

4 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

See the young un summed it up for me. I am more than delighted for them, beating Germany is always good even more so winning the entire thing.

But its not the same feeling as if the men had won last summer.

If you are feeling that level of joy I am pleased it does feel that way for you. 

But the men didn't win it, did they? These did.  So wtf has it got to do with the men?  You're on a thread about a womens' team, talking about a mens' team. 

6 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

But the men didn't win it, did they? These did.  So wtf has it got to do with the men?  You're on a thread about a womens' team, talking about a mens' team. 

Aren't we all supposed to be gender neutral these days. 

My point was simply being honest, as a long standing football fan I simply can't get as excited about the women winning a trophy than as if it had been the men. 

Or put it another way, when England men lost last summer I was fucked off for a week. If the lasses had lost on penalties my disappointment would have lasted until I got up and put the kettle on. 

Perhaps in time I will invest a bit more emotionally in the womens team. Tbh I think most of my available capacity goes on SWFC.

I am glad you enjoyed the tournament, perhaps you feel the demons of not winning a trophy are lifted after 56 years. I am firmly in the group of that doesn’t feel the  case. And that is not dismissing their achievement, because it is fantastic and well deserved.

But we can retire Its Coming Home nonetheless

There’s been lots said about how refreshing this competition has been, and linked this to the women’s game in general.

It can’t be argued that the lack of dissent, feigning injury, blatant time wasting etc has been great for the games. Add on the vast improvements in the players’ level of skill and technique over the last 4/5 years and there’s a great “product” on show. There’s still some crappy goalkeeping but by and large it’s better. Overall, the product is not just watchable, but it’s entertaining.

Women (and many men) will now be calling for more equality throughout the game. In terms of access, at grass roots, there should be no question of equality, and there never should have been. But at the top, it has to be earned. And some of the England players can now expect mega deals for sponsorship.

But players will also start pushing for higher pay from their clubs, arguing that Russo should get what Rashford gets, and a bog standard WPL player should get much nearer what a bog standard EPL player gets. And this is where it could all start to go wrong. Is there the depth of talent to create a competition (WPL) that will generate sponsorship and TV deals to match the mens’ game? Will crowd numbers increase when ticket prices trend towards that of the men’s game? Will TV audiences fall when they see the quality of the bottom half of the league?

But at the very top, I think we could have some mega stars on mega bucks and some teams (we know which ones - I think it’s a shame that women’s football can’t develop independent of the men’s clubs, but that a different discussion) that suck in all the new income. Matches will then become more like the men’s game as winning becomes more imperative, as teams try to bridge the gap to the top few so as to access that top income level.

A few years ago, we rarely saw a tackle worthy of the name, but in this competition, although rare, we’ve seen cynical fouls, a head high tackle (somehow the red card was overturned to yellow), players haranguing the ref, petulance on the pitch and on the sub’s bench, and falling over at a mere nudge. Sadly, these traits will become more common as the money grows. I may be a cynic, but as the game grows, as it attracts more money, it will tend away from all those positives at the top of this post and it’ll lose it unique attraction.

1 hour ago, Reesh said:

Listening to every single England player interviewed after the game you got a sense of how much pride they had just wearing the shirt and a love for the pure sport rather than owt else.

Absolutely this.

admittedly I’ve not watched all the games, but the ones I have watched I’ve really enjoyed. It’s been infectious, refreshing and overall, brilliant for the country.

I supported England throughout this tournament. It brought a very rare feel good factor back to a society that needed it. I had forgotten what it was like to support a team overflowing with team spirit.A goalkeeper commanding the six yard box. A reliable defence. Using good shithousery techniques when required .A coach who knew how, who and when to substitute. All important assets for making a successful team. 

If only we had that here.

Edited by bricat

16 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Aren't we all supposed to be gender neutral these days. 

My point was simply being honest, as a long standing football fan I simply can't get as excited about the women winning a trophy than as if it had been the men. 

Or put it another way, when England men lost last summer I was fucked off for a week. If the lasses had lost on penalties my disappointment would have lasted until I got up and put the kettle on. 

Perhaps in time I will invest a bit more emotionally in the womens team. Tbh I think most of my available capacity goes on SWFC.

I am glad you enjoyed the tournament, perhaps you feel the demons of not winning a trophy are lifted after 56 years. I am firmly in the group of that doesn’t feel the  case. And that is not dismissing their achievement, because it is fantastic and well deserved.

But we can retire Its Coming Home nonetheless

Fair comments, mostly, IMO.  Apart from being gender neutral, whether we're supposed to be or not. Not a desirable new trick for this old dog. 

I did thoroughly enjoy the tournament throughout: saw every single game of it.  I was able to enjoy not just the refreshing football but also the variety of happy, singing, bright- coloured shirted visiting crowds, which were a pleasure to see and hear. A good reminder of earlier days like hosting Denmark here in 1996 and a Cretan holiday during a finals when our resort's 'bar street' seemed to host half of Holland, all in the famous shirts, of course.  Well done to United (hiss!) & to Rotherham for their hosting in South Yorkshire this time: it looked good on T.V.  Also the council for the fan park at Devonshire Green.  I've already got withdrawal symptoms of the whole tournament. 

No, I don't feel like we've lifted the 56 years of "pain". Not the same team: a different, enjoyable one who've started their own record of success in memorable style. More!!  

13 hours ago, Reesh said:

Listening to every single England player interviewed after the game you got a sense of how much pride they had just wearing the shirt and a love for the pure sport rather than owt else.

Agreed. I suspect that this group of players has 'made it' to where they are the hard* way, still, and that it's those qualities that you've recognised that have played a significant part in them getting to where they now are.  

* Not perhaps the real hard way that the ones before them faced when they played for the likes of Doncaster Belles and England, but a damned sight harder than probably the ones to come through from now on will face.  It will be a real shame when that pride and love of team, of flag, of sport, disappears.  

13 hours ago, M42Owl said:

There’s been lots said about how refreshing this competition has been, and linked this to the women’s game in general.

It can’t be argued that the lack of dissent, feigning injury, blatant time wasting etc has been great for the games. Add on the vast improvements in the players’ level of skill and technique over the last 4/5 years and there’s a great “product” on show. There’s still some crappy goalkeeping but by and large it’s better. Overall, the product is not just watchable, but it’s entertaining.

Women (and many men) will now be calling for more equality throughout the game. In terms of access, at grass roots, there should be no question of equality, and there never should have been. But at the top, it has to be earned. And some of the England players can now expect mega deals for sponsorship.

But players will also start pushing for higher pay from their clubs, arguing that Russo should get what Rashford gets, and a bog standard WPL player should get much nearer what a bog standard EPL player gets. And this is where it could all start to go wrong. Is there the depth of talent to create a competition (WPL) that will generate sponsorship and TV deals to match the mens’ game? Will crowd numbers increase when ticket prices trend towards that of the men’s game? Will TV audiences fall when they see the quality of the bottom half of the league?

But at the very top, I think we could have some mega stars on mega bucks and some teams (we know which ones - I think it’s a shame that women’s football can’t develop independent of the men’s clubs, but that a different discussion) that suck in all the new income. Matches will then become more like the men’s game as winning becomes more imperative, as teams try to bridge the gap to the top few so as to access that top income level.

A few years ago, we rarely saw a tackle worthy of the name, but in this competition, although rare, we’ve seen cynical fouls, a head high tackle (somehow the red card was overturned to yellow), players haranguing the ref, petulance on the pitch and on the sub’s bench, and falling over at a mere nudge. Sadly, these traits will become more common as the money grows. I may be a cynic, but as the game grows, as it attracts more money, it will tend away from all those positives at the top of this post and it’ll lose it unique attraction.

So many points in this are worthy of discussion. For me, I'll leave it until I'm not so tired after a very warm hill walk.  👍

12 hours ago, bricat said:

I supported England throughout this tournament. It brought a very rare feel good factor back to a society that needed it. I had forgotten what it was like to support a team overflowing with team spirit.A goalkeeper commanding the six yard box. A reliable defence. Using good shithousery techniques when required .A coach who knew how, who and when to substitute. All important assets for making a successful team. 

If only we had that here.

I dunno if you saw Holland play or not, bri.  Their teenage 'keeper, van Donselaar (?), was simply magnificent throughout. She only had one cap prior to this tournament but, when their no.1 had a tournament ending injury in their 1st game, she stepped up and was utterly outstanding throughout. Some of her full length tips around the post style saves were superb.  She may just be what future young keepers aspire to be like. 

24 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I dunno if you saw Holland play or not, bri.  Their teenage 'keeper, van Donselaar (?), was simply magnificent throughout. She only had one cap prior to this tournament but, when their no.1 had a tournament ending injury in their 1st game, she stepped up and was utterly outstanding throughout. Some of her full length tips around the post style saves were superb.  She may just be what future young keepers aspire to be like. 

Oops:  It's van Domselaar and she's 22.  The rest stands. 

Some good points Owling. 

I think in many ways it is refreshing, in others would I want mens football to be like it.

For all not wanting blokes to be snorting coke firing flares out their arse, would I want to attend the equivalent of an Ed Sheeran concert either 

The gripes we have about the mens game is also what makes the mens game 

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Some good points Owling. 

I think in many ways it is refreshing, in others would I want mens football to be like it.

For all not wanting blokes to be snorting coke firing flares out their arse, would I want to attend the equivalent of an Ed Sheeran concert either 

The gripes we have about the mens game is also what makes the mens game 

I see what you mean MK. But I could happily leave behind people firing flares out of their arse and smashing shit up ‘just because’.

3 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I see what you mean MK. But I could happily leave behind people firing flares out of their arse and smashing shit up ‘just because’.

I happily could - but equally do I want to be sat in the equivalent of a pop concert. Fuck that its not Take That 

And football was never a family event however folk try and airbrush the past 

52 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I happily could - but equally do I want to be sat in the equivalent of a pop concert. Fuck that its not Take That 

And football was never a family event however folk try and airbrush the past 

I’m certainly not suggesting it needs to be a sanitised experience, but it doesn’t need to be full of dicks.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Still moaning...

"German media cry foul over alleged handball by England women’s team | Women's Euro 2022 | The Guardian" https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/01/german-media-cry-foul-over-alleged-handball-by-england-womens-team

Tbf if it had been the other way round then it wouldn't have been a little more noticeable in the English media 

Like the last 5 minutes game management was perfectly acceptable as we were winning, compare that to our reaction to the Pompey goalie having to check if his leg required amputation on Saturday 

28 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbf if it had been the other way round then it wouldn't have been a little more noticeable in the English media 

Like the last 5 minutes game management was perfectly acceptable as we were winning, compare that to our reaction to the Pompey goalie having to check if his leg required amputation on Saturday 

His head!   👿

On 02/08/2022 at 00:22, bricat said:

Didn't see her mate but I respect your opinion and will look for further fixtures. I remember reading a coaching manual by Dave Sexton who said if his keeper hadn't got a sore throat after a game , he wanted to know why.

The 'Flying Dutchwoman'.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Reesh said:

Ellen White and Jill Scott both announced their retirement from football this week and saw this.

Enjoyable read

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jill-scott-england-soccer-retirement

It's a great read but I believe neither of them are staying in football. They're not going into coaching when both could offer so much while the momentum is still strong