It’s a privilege to play for Wednesday.

Says Barry Bannan.

Barry Bannan has revealed he feels ‘privileged’ to have represented Sheffield Wednesday for so long but admits he wishes he could’ve played in the Premier League longer. Bannan has established himself as a club legend at Wednesday after making over 300 appearances in seven years for the club.

The 32-year-old has twice gone agonizingly close to earning Championship promotion with the Owls, losing the play-off final to Hull City in 2016, before being defeated in the semi-finals by Huddersfield Town the following season. His last kick of a ball in the Premier League came back in January 2015, as he played 45 minutes in a 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur for Crystal Palace.

Though he is now plying his trade in League One with the Owls, Bannan is still regarded as one of the best players in the EFL, even at the age of 32. Speaking on Celtic: The Unrestricted View Podcast, Bannan believes the only regrets he will have when he looks back on his career is not playing at the top level for longer, and never getting the opportunity to represent boyhood club Celtic.

He said: “To be honest with you, my career so far I think I could’ve done a lot better. Not through my will of trying because I gave my best every day, but I just think right place, right time sometimes – I could’ve got a few more lucky breaks.

“Me and my Dad speak about it quite a lot, everybody has got their end path and this is the path for me. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it and I feel lucky and privileged to be at a big club like Sheffield Wednesday still.

But looking back I reckon I could’ve probably stayed around the Premier League a bit longer and probably played for Scotland a bit longer with a little bit of luck on my side. But I will never look back with regrets, but maybe the only regret is I never got the chance to play for Celtic and that will always hurt me until the day I die.”