Boris to be ousted?

HoylandOwl

32 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Looks like he's leaving to me. 

Apparently he can’t leave just yet, because he has a big wedding party planned at Chequers in a few weeks. 

If this was a plotline in The Thick of It we’d say they’d gone too far. 

Members may insist that Boris is a candidate in the  leadership selection process. 

Would be hard to dislodge him if that's the  case.

Also MPs that put in no confidence letters because of Boris FPN are supporting Sunak who, err got an FPN.

Sunak was the Partygate Leak. He started after Boris committed to no winter lockdown. The photo of the gathering on the patio is from the Chancellors office on the first floor of #10/11.

Set up his "ready for rishi" leadership website in December and recorded his leadership video last week (someone didn't clean out the meta data...). He'll be like Heseltine, seemingly a shoo in for leader but fails.

Sunak will be remembered as the Conservative Chancellor that has put tax to record levels. That's the problem he has to overcome.

Those who joined the frenzy to oust Johnson need to think very carefully about their constituents, especially those that only got elected because Boris said he'd get Brexit done after years of frustration of the country's decision.  Well, he got Brexit done so what will those voters do now?

No outstanding people to choose from, think Sunak may fail in his challenge.

The problem with UK politics is really you have to be a snake to get up the greasy pole whilst being a back stabber and all mouth no trousers. Is it a surprise that having to do that just to be an MP, you have to up your game on those traits to jump the next stages.

I used to go to a business lunch club run by Peter Lilley. I recall being sat next to a lass who was keen to become involved in said scene and frankly it sounded like ruddy hard work, going to the right meetings, try and talk to the right people, do the dull stuff. All in the knowledge you were one of a dozen trying to do the same to get noticed even at a local level.

To me its hardly a surprise that we get the politicians and politics we do

6 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The problem with UK politics is really you have to be a snake to get up the greasy pole whilst being a back stabber and all mouth no trousers. Is it a surprise that having to do that just to be an MP, you have to up your game on those traits to jump the next stages.

I used to go to a business lunch club run by Peter Lilley. I recall being sat next to a lass who was keen to become involved in said scene and frankly it sounded like ruddy hard work, going to the right meetings, try and talk to the right people, do the dull stuff. All in the knowledge you were one of a dozen trying to do the same to get noticed even at a local level.

Some truth in that. When I stood as a local Councillor last elections, despite my thoughts on policy and what needed doing locally , I'd not attended the right fundraising events so i was given a 'not a chance ward' . Still don't go despite all the weekly emails i keep receiving, even for the national party. I'll stand as an independent first than be forced to go and listen to waffle whilst eating a curled up sandwich and expected to bid £100 for a signed serviette but obviously that's no good in Westminster 

Edited by Skamp

5 minutes ago, Skamp said:

Some truth in that. When I stood as a local Councillor last elections, despite my thoughts on policy and what needed doing locally , I'd not attended the right fundraising events so i was given a 'not a chance ward' . Still don't go despite all the weekly emails i keep receiving, even for the national party. I'll stand as an independent first than be forced to go and listen to waffle whilst eating a curled up sandwich and expected to bid £100 for a signed serviette but obviously that's no good in Westminster 

My extent was the business club, I did go to some quiz night spin off and that was like jeez. Lilley was able to get some fairly decent guests and the one thing you noticed was their stature. Some did wear it in a bad way, in the how important do I look way, others it was just that inner confidence.

What did for Boris was that in his entire life no one had slapped him down. He had that belief he was a step above all else but also that meant his "brilliance" the rules did not or should not apply 

7 hours ago, Andyben said:

Members may insist that Boris is a candidate in the  leadership selection process. 

Would be hard to dislodge him if that's the  case.

Also MPs that put in no confidence letters because of Boris FPN are supporting Sunak who, err got an FPN.

Sunak was the Partygate Leak. He started after Boris committed to no winter lockdown. The photo of the gathering on the patio is from the Chancellors office on the first floor of #10/11.

Set up his "ready for rishi" leadership website in December and recorded his leadership video last week (someone didn't clean out the meta data...). He'll be like Heseltine, seemingly a shoo in for leader but fails.

....Monday apparently 

21 hours ago, Andyben said:

Don't be bitter.

He's been sacked at least twice, maybe he just doesn't care

Not bitter, just think the country deserves better than public school educated entitled types. Not just in politics, but the civil service, media and the top echelons of business, the judiciary.

The types that are taught they have this right to rule but not follow the rules.

The fact he tried to bend the democratic rules, checks and balances this country has, just proves to me that there needs to be a formal written constitution, not this one based on historical norms and traditions.

The democracy of this country is far more important than the ambitions of one person. Thankfully Boris was not that clever, but can you imagine a competent person, left wing or right wing attempting the same and us sleep walking to a form of dictatorship.

16 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

The democracy of this country is far more important than the ambitions of one person. Thankfully Boris was not that clever, but can you imagine a competent person, left wing or right wing attempting the same and us sleep walking to a form of dictatorship.

That's why we have 650 MPs and  independent armed forces that swears loyalty to the monarch. 

All Republicans need to think on that for a bit. 

As do Blairites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skamp said:

That's why we have 650 MPs and  independent armed forces that swears loyalty to the monarch. 

All Republicans need to think on that for a bit. 

As do Blairites. 

There should be no swearing loyalty to the monarchy. Arcane process, as is the swearing on a bible etc etc.

I would happily describe myself as a Republican, the Royal Family are simply part of the process that keeps the population nodding and smiling as they pat us on the head

The armed forces oath of allegiance is a buffer zone. It means the government of the day doesn't technically 'run' the forces (although it determines the budget) and it gives the generals a "don't work for you" stance if some crackpot PM ever orders boots on the street without an extremely good reason. 

On 09/07/2022 at 08:18, Andyben said:

...Surella Braverman saying all the  right things. 

Would be a sound candidate

That's a grenade lob isn't it? A line dangle?

She's Boris on speed. She was ready to rip up international law to justify Boris's mad ideas over the NI/EU treaty. The one he signed. She still refers back to the British Empire. She's been accused of misusing her Attorney General powers when court rulings haven't gone the way she wanted. As Attorney General she refused to uphold the law by publicly defending Cummings trip to Barnard Castle. She wants to 'wage a war on woke', her words, by moving to get rid of they/them (and others) as pronouns. Sunak wants to go the same way ("mother's should be called mother's") on 'woke'. 

She's also a massive conspiracy theorist when it comes to Brexit. Blaming remainers for every failure and also saying certain civil servants couldn't cope with "a life without the EU" and were constantly disrupting plans. 

Edited by Tylluan

3 hours ago, Tylluan said:

That's a grenade lob isn't it? A line dangle?

She's Boris on speed. She was ready to rip up international law to justify Boris's mad ideas over the NI/EU treaty. The one he signed. She still refers back to the British Empire. She's been accused of misusing her Attorney General powers when court rulings haven't gone the way she wanted. As Attorney General she refused to uphold the law by publicly defending Cummings trip to Barnard Castle. She wants to 'wage a war on woke', her words, by moving to get rid of they/them (and others) as pronouns. Sunak wants to go the same way ("mother's should be called mother's") on 'woke'. 

She's also a massive conspiracy theorist when it comes to Brexit. Blaming remainers for every failure and also saying certain civil servants couldn't cope with "a life without the EU" and were constantly disrupting plans. 

Perfect 

On 09/07/2022 at 08:48, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

I think he's fucked (Sunak) his campaign slogan is let's rebuild the economy...dunno how to break this to you mate, but you've been chancellor for the last 3 years. If the economy is fucked it's kinda your fault 

1 hour ago, Otto_Man said:

I think he's fucked (Sunak) his campaign slogan is let's rebuild the economy...dunno how to break this to you mate, but you've been chancellor for the last 3 years. If the economy is fucked it's kinda your fault 

Tbh I trust him more to re-build the economy more than the GCSE standard level economics the rest of the others are spouting. 

The situation with Boris was reaching its natural conclusion, but the big re-start was this joint speech planned between Boris and Sunak that clearly they were not singing from the same church never mind hymnsheet.

The countries financial position is difficult, much of it post pandemic, Russian invasion is somewhat outside the control of the Chancellor, the outcome of Brexit clearly was.

But the promise of tax cuts whilst appealing is less so if it was accompanied by a 20% cut in public services.

Of course Sunak can't escape these last 3 years but he is best positioned and I think understands the harsh realities coming. There is no magic wand 

Apparently the king maker that is Rhys-Mogg doesn't seem to share your enthusiasm. Supposedly despises Sunak and allegedly refers to him as a fucking communist to anyone who will listen (which is large swathes of the rank and file membership).

Can't see an outcome where this ends anything other than terribly 

Edited by Otto_Man

3 hours ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Is everyone forgetting he was also fined but breaking Covid rules? 

No one gives a shit. Honestly they don't. Only labour supporters and that fat Jock in the commons. 

Boris copped the lot based on more misjudgement that having a party. 

2 hours ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Tbh I trust him more to re-build the economy more than the GCSE standard level economics the rest of the others are spouting. 

The situation with Boris was reaching its natural conclusion, but the big re-start was this joint speech planned between Boris and Sunak that clearly they were not singing from the same church never mind hymnsheet.

The countries financial position is difficult, much of it post pandemic, Russian invasion is somewhat outside the control of the Chancellor, the outcome of Brexit clearly was.

But the promise of tax cuts whilst appealing is less so if it was accompanied by a 20% cut in public services.

Of course Sunak can't escape these last 3 years but he is best positioned and I think understands the harsh realities coming. There is no magic wand 

He can still help rebuild the Country's (see) economy by being the Chancellor. Defeated candidates shouldn't necessarily be backbenchers unless they're called Jeremy Hunt. 

10 hours ago, Skamp said:

No one gives a shit. Honestly they don't. Only labour supporters and that fat Jock in the commons. 

Boris copped the lot based on more misjudgement that having a party. 

I will beg to differ on that.

I have my personal reasons for that, but as much I hate hypocrisy. And I think more than you think are annoyed about that than the Daily Mail would have you think.

That itself was a resigning matter, the 403 other reasons on top of course.

I made the right call on him in 2019, bit like Carlos I was proved right 

There are some rumours doing the rounds that Sunak's entourage are trying to get Jeremy Hunt and Rishi as the final two candidates. This would suit Sunak knowing that the Tory membership wouldn't touch Hunt with a barge pole (had to read that several times for errors)

Penny Mordaunt for me, she is a centrist with a touch of Rule Britannia and a firm Brexiteer. If not her, I'm struggling. You need someone you can trust, and someone who is true to their word. Steve Bruce as the reserve candidate then.

8 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Not really she’s been one of the favourites from the off

Agreed. But not in the same way as Truss or Sunak. 

Let's see what tomorrow brings anyway. The heat will soon start being turned up with 'policies' being more closely examined. 

On 13/07/2022 at 23:06, Neville Facking Bartos said:

It will be her vs Sunak in my opinion, I thought she’d get it on the news of his resignation 

I’m sticking by it 

Her vs Sunak or Truss vs Sunak is the most likely outcome according to polls.

Her vs Truss, I wouldn't like to put money on.

Penny Mordaunt?  The Penny Mordaunt who, during the Brexit referendum campaign, repeatedly (and incorrectly) denied that the UK had a veto on new EU members during an interview with Andrew Marr? 🤣 Just the kind of intellectual heavyweight with a firm grasp of detail we need running the country at a dangerous time.

24 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Truss ahead according to polling but Sunak should overcome that as Truss is too wishy washy on issues

Both are establishment candidates. Fresh start was required and this doesn't deliver that, from the minute either of them are installed the calls for a GE will start to cut through

Truss - Establishemnt.

Went to a comprehensive school in Leeds