Who’s having the match thread?? Looks like me. - Sunderland away leg

• HoylandOwl changed the title to Who’s having the match thread?? Looks like me. - Sunderland away leg

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2022/may/darren-moore-pre-sunderland-talking-points/

The Owls are preparing for a two-legged play-off against Sunderland, with the winners taking on MK Dons or Wycombe at Wembley. Darren Moore held his pre-match media conference on Thursday ahead of the first leg at the Stadium of Light and here are a selection of talking points.

ON THE PLAY-OFFS

It's two very good games for us and Sunderland, we go head-to-head and they are games we are ready for. The stakes are high for both clubs and we know the size of the challenge. It’s a wonderful advert for League One football and I’m sure it will be a great encounter on Friday.

I’m looking forward to it. All you can do is stay efficient and consistent with what we’re trying to do. We’re always looking to improve and that doesn’t change now we’re in the play-offs. As a manager you’re always thinking on your feet and reacting to situations and that’s no different with these two games.

ON BARRY BANNAN

We’ll see how Barry is today. When any player enters the field of play there is a risk, and we’ll see what happens with him today. We’ve wrapped Barry up in cotton wool this week and we’ll see what he’s like. He’s still chirpy as he always is around the place but the proof will be in the pudding with how he trains today. 

BEFORE THE GAME

I will give a speech and try to pass over as much experience as I can, then we go out and perform. From where some of our players have been, they’ve played in games of this magnitude before. So from their perspective that can only be a good thing. It’s a fresh game, you can draw back on experience, but it will still be a different situation to what has happened before.

ON LEE GREGORY

To have Lee in the goalscoring form he’s in is great. He’s firing on all cylinders and he’s an important part of the team. Any team will tell you, you want your number nine scoring goals. So it’s great that he’s doing that for us at the moment and credit to him.

FOCUS ON THE FIRST GAME

Before we look at the home leg we will be focused completely on Friday night. It’s a fantastic opportunity for the players, who will have dreamt about playing in games like this when they were younger. It’s why we are all in football really.

Like I say, it’s two in-form teams with in-form players going head-to-head. We have talented individuals, Sunderland have talented individuals and we are ready to play. It bodes well for a great game of football. Both squads have players that have played at a high level and they have a manager in Alex Neil who has instilled belief in the place.

Plan for tomorrow: Drive around the Dales, delivering luggage. Hopefully finish in Sedbergh around 3. Drive over to Sunderland, drop the car at my mates house. Meet him and my brother, both Sunderland fans, for a few nerve settling pints. Sit in the home end unless I can somehow blag my way into the away end. Eff knows what will happen from there. 

Come on Wednesday. 

26 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Bannan fitness aside are we thinking Daz may spring a couple of changes.

Dean in for Palmer ?

Windass from the start ?

If Bannan isn't fit then I'd be tempted to play Windass (if also fit) in that forward midfield role with Berahino and Gregory in front of him and Luongo and Byers behind him. Sunderland would have to drop a midfielder back if we had a central midfield triangle, as their centre backs wouldn't be able to step through with us still playing two up top. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

If Bannan isn't fit then I'd be tempted to play Windass (if also fit) in that forward midfield role with Berahino and Gregory in front of him and Luongo and Byers behind him. Sunderland would have to drop a midfielder back if we had a central midfield triangle, as their centre backs wouldn't be able to step through with us still playing two up top. 

I like that. 

4 me, but he won't do it, I'd play if fit back 3 of Dean, Hutch, Gibson. Harsh on Storey as he's done well, but he's not the quickest or great in ball, and Gibson gives more balance and no mug in possession 

If Dean's fit it'd be madness not to play him....we need his experience up there tonight.....Hutch and Storey to partner him....

Hunt--------------------------Neymarv

Luongo-----Byers-----Bannan

Gregory-----Berahino

1 hour ago, MPB said:

If Dean's fit it'd be madness not to play him....we need his experience up there tonight.....Hutch and Storey to partner him....

Hunt--------------------------Neymarv

Luongo-----Byers-----Bannan

Gregory-----Berahino

Think the majority pick that side but will Daz - fitness / volume permitting. 

MATCH DETAILS

Sunderland v Wednesday
Friday 6 May
7:45pm
Sky Bet League One play-off semi-final first leg
Stadium of Light

A huge game awaits this evening for the Owls as our play-off campaign kicks off tonight at the Stadium of Light.

Both Wednesday and Sunderland have had strong seasons and head into the play-offs in good form.

Darren Moore’s side made absolutely sure of a place in the top six with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Portsmouth on the final day.

We head to Wearside with four wins from the last five and only one defeat in 11.

The Black Cats are also in outstanding form. Alex Neil’s side are on a 13-game unbeaten run ahead of the double-header with Wednesday.

TEAM NEWS

Wednesday: Barry Bannan will be assessed ahead of the game.

The skipper pulled up with injury in the season finale against Pompey. The gaffer said: “When any player enters the field of play there is a risk, and we’ll see what happens with him today. We’ve wrapped Barry up in cotton wool this week and we’ll see what he’s like. He’s still chirpy as he always is around the place – usual Baz.”

Ciaran Brennan is making good progress and has returned to training, while Dominic Iorfa is also making excellent strides in his recovery, though this semi-final clash will come too soon for the defender.

Sunderland: A late call will be made on striker Nathan Broadhead.

The Everton loanee is facing a battle to return for tonight’s semi-final first leg.

After scoring what proved the winning goal last time out against Morecambe, Broadhead was taken off midway through the first half after picking up a knock.

Midfielder Carl Winchester has suffered a setback in his recovery from injury and it’s feared he could miss the rest of the season.

Former Owls loanee Danny Batth has started the last three games after returning to fitness and is expected to feature this evening.

Dennis Cirkin and Aiden McGeady are edging closer to their respective returns.

OFFICIALS

Referee – Matthew Donohue
Assistant referee – Philip Dermott
Assistant referee – Paul Hodskinson
Fourth official – Dean Whitestone

TICKETS

Tickets for Wednesdayites are sold out.

Please note, unlike the league fixture at the Stadium of Light earlier in the season, tonight’s game is not unreserved seating for away supporters. Please sit in your designated seat.

iFOLLOW

Live match commentary will be provided by iFollow in association with BBC Radio Sheffield.

Due to broadcast restrictions and the game being shown live on Sky Sports, it will not be streamed on iFollow.

The same applies to the second leg at Hillsborough on Monday night.

Audio match passes are available HERE.

SOCIAL MEDIA

The hashtag for our content relative to tonight's game is #SUNSHW

Our official Twitter account @swfc will provide a blow-by-blow text update of the game as well as all key match information, including team news at 6.45pm.

Our official Instagram @swfcofficial will also keep you up to date on the latest events, with content uploaded to the story throughout the matchday.

The key news will also be uploaded to our Facebook page HERE.

Watch extended match highlights on our YouTube channel.

Give us a follow on Tik Tok too!

25 minutes ago, Reesh said:

Hunt dropped? 

Not happy 

Thinking the same. Seems Daz has shit himself over their left side. 

Their left back must have breathed a sigh of relief after finding out he's not up against Hunt. Just means they can overload that side even more