Rambles, Walks, Hikes and Staggers AKA the old peoples race to god thread

EpworthOwl

Morning all, I thought I'd get the walking and hiking thread going again by letting you know about my latest walks.

Last Year, Me and Mrs Eppers went to Seahouses in Northumberland for a week and did the central part of the Northumberland Coastal Path, a 100 km walk along...yes the Northumberland coast. We walked from Craster round to Budle in October.

Anyway, this weekend, we took advantage of the last weekend of the Inn Collections Winter break weekend and stayed at the Amble Inn, Amble, and using local transport, we walked from Cresswell near Morpeth up to Amble on Friday, around 18km, then on Saturday we got a taxi to Craster and walked back to Amble a total of 25km, a great walk with some fantastic views across the North sea, covering Dunstanborough and Workwarth Castles as well as miles of golden sands. Beautiful walking. On Sunday we covered a 7km section that we had missed last October from Budle bay to Belford, mostly inland and a bit boring, although we spotted a sheep on its back stuck in a thicket of bramble, we tried to get it out, it tried to break my finger more than once, so we went to Belford fire station and they rescued it!

We will be finishing it off in August when we do the last 2 sections from Belford to Berwick

Edited by EpworthOwl

• Reesh changed the title to Rambles, Walks, Hikes and Staggers AKA the old peoples race to god thread
10 hours ago, EpworthOwl said:

That looks a quality walk Pollhammer, how long is that?

As Owling says, around 80 miles or so. A lot of Riverside walking, and I presume some harder stretches, and some genuinely stunning sections. Plenty of great places to stay, Ilkley is a nice start, Burnsall, Grassington, Kettlewell, Dent, Sedburgh, as well as some hidden gems - I drive along it and love it, presume a fair bit depends on the weather - went through a fair range today. Some great pubs and B&Bs to stay at. 

Apparently you have to dip your toe into Windermere to say you've done it. 

1 minute ago, MPB said:

Same country?

Was thinking Seoul....if not.

By the way.....was in Tokyo in 2016 with work around this time....had a great time walking through a park near Kamenokobashi (sp?)......when the ground started to shake.....f'kin shit myself.....

Yep, Seoul. Spring and autumn are the best times to visit this neck of the woods, truly beautiful. That must have been a fantastic work trip, did you cope with the language and food? Before Covid, I used to love weekends in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto but my Korean bank card never worked. Japan is a strange place haha

3 minutes ago, tomcore said:

Yep, Seoul. Spring and autumn are the best times to visit this neck of the woods, truly beautiful. That must have been a fantastic work trip, did you cope with the language and food? Before Covid, I used to love weekends in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto but my Korean bank card never worked. Japan is a strange place haha

Took this from the same place in autumn 

20211102_121313.jpg

1 hour ago, MPB said:

I love Seoul.....always schedule to go there mid-late September, got taken to Namsan Park when I was there last (2017)....that was great...only go for a couple of nights usually as part of a longer Asia visit....so not seen as much as I'd like other than bars and restaurants in Gangnam....

We have agents in most countries in Asia so the language isn't a problem....I do know the absolute basics and try to order food etc myself....

Seoul is one of those places that you can visit once and see all the tourist stuff in two days but If you have a local host then it gets interesting. You have to dig beneath the surface. Probably similar with Tokyo. Gangnam is alright.. I live 25mins from there but haven't been for years. Have you ever been taken to a baseball game? Pre covid it was a great evening out. 

5 hours ago, MPB said:

Great view that....I'll try to post up my view from my daily dog walk......only thing is there's a f'kin great faded red and white monstrosity blighting what is otherwise a stunning view of the city.....

My dog at work today 

Ozzy.jpeg

1 hour ago, HoylandOwl said:

It’s definitely not, there’s not enough Hermes warehouses fucking up the countryside 

I haven't been back in two years now. I heard they've blocked off Tankersley Lane, demolishing Rockingham (I used to play cricket there) and building another McDonalds?! 

I did have a funny surprise when I was last there regarding some new houses and an ex owl 

• 4 weeks later...

My dog chasing a Heron up Rivelin.

Just to join the Seoul appreciation club I was there some years ago and absolutely loved it.

Did loads of walking in the mountains that ring the city.

Stayed in Gangnam and Mapo at the Lotte.

Then travelled down to Busan and chilled for a while.

First places I ever came across heated toilet seats!!

1681E13C-A1A7-4900-A6F8-1C72A143ED1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Great pic!

Sticking with the Seoul Appreciation Society as well.....it was the first time I'd ever tried one of those gas heated cupboard bath things....the ones you sit in with your head poking out of the top ....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/05/2022 at 01:27, MPB said:

Is there much in the DMZ?

Sorry for the late reply. Not really, but it is cool to look in to North Korea. A few years ago I went to the JSA/ Panmunjom the border with the meeting room which is divided in half. That was really interesting. We then got taken to a gift store and I bought some North Korean acorn whiskey. I tried it once and it got put to the back of the cupboard.

I've never tried those heated cupboard bath things. My mother in law has one...I don't think I'd fit in it! Been to plenty of jimjilbangs (saunas) though. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just back from long weekend in Yorkshire Dale's. We stayed at Countersett Hall near Bainbridge and did 3 walks in the Dale's.

The first was around Countersett. Mansett and Semer Water. 9.5k beautiful scenery. The next day we went to Aysgarth and walked along the River Ure, past Aysgarth Falls and over to West Burton falls (what a beautiful village) and back to the Aysgarth falls hotel 11k and Sunday dinner at the pub, beef pork and all trimmings. Yum yum. Then on day 3 we started and Finished at the Hawes Creamery home of Wensleydale Cheese (Grommit). We went up to Hardraw force and back round by the River Ure to Hawes. An excellent weekend with lots of beer wine and great food!

Screenshot_20240113_102555_OS Maps.jpg

20240113_112834.jpg

20240114_111749.jpg

20240114_111912.jpg

20240114_124142.jpg

20240115_130420.jpg

20240115_130518.jpg

20240115_131013.jpg

20240115_134938.jpg

20240115_135644.jpg

• Like 3