Chesterfield (A) Friendly

23 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

Cook???

I'm guessing that's Luke Cook who got a couple of early cup run outs as a sub before getting injured. 

Yes, he played Saturday too and did well by all accounts. 

Edited by LiamOwl

14 minutes ago, Tylluan said:

I was expecting a front 3 of Pato, Gregory, and Cook but it looks like Johnson is playing up top with Cook and Gregory with a middle 3 of Bannan, Pato, and Vaulks

Difficult. Gregory not playing 

14 minutes ago, holmesfield_owl said:

Got behind us far too easy for the goal there, couldn't tell who the OG came off

I think it was Iorfa as he ran back in with his man, possibly off Dawson first. No chance to either: their bloke absolutely hammered it from side of 6 yd box. 

It's not a friendly, it's a testimonial for Drew Talbot.

We have to let them look good and win with ease.

That's my story and i'm sticking with it.

Get ready if things don't improve though 😄

• Haha 1

I enjoyed that to be fair back at a game something to do and makes the start of the season seem closer.

Can see some different tactics to what we are used to didn’t always go backwards from our own third first half and good wing play.

Still a bit sloppy and lethargic but to be expected.

Before anyone asks me what game I was watching I like what he is trying to do unfortunately I don’t think at this moment in time we have the correct personnel to execute it. Smith will not fit in and I think he needs to go. I think if we had played the way we did tonight Alex Mighten could fit in better.

Just my thoughts still early days 

I think the first half is what they call a difficult watch but I accepted it for what it was. Xisco was presumably starting his 'teaching' from the back. Whilst we appeared to field a defensive four at York, tonight appeared to be a five.  (After h.t. it looked like a two and one of them was Bakinson!)   👀

Anyway, if the gaffer wants them to play it out from the back, at high speed, and then hit reverse and play it back in again, then out again, then out again, then...    presumably it's not just good practice for those chosen tonight to have a go at it: it gives him the chance to see how they fare whilst they try to do what he asks them to.  

IMO, Reece James had a 'mare tonight. No worries, we know what he can do and it's a lot better than that.  We weren't sure where Marvin was supposed to be playing either, though it seemed later to be central midfield. Didn't seem great but presumably Xisco learned stuff about him. Brennan doesn't look like a full back to me, be it in a 4 or a 5. (See above.)  

Chezzie played well at times tonight. There certainly didn't seem to be three divisions between them many times, though the 2nd half was better. Indeed, after all the many changes, the 2nd half turned into a very watchable game. Much more enjoyable than Saturday.  

Their goal was fair enough: their man, clean through but along the goal line, did everything they wanted and when Dawson leg /  kneed the ball nominally clear.

My main worries

5 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

I think the first half is what they call a difficult watch but I accepted it for what it was. Xisco was presumably starting his 'teaching' from the back. Whilst we appeared to field a defensive four at York, tonight appeared to be a five.  (After h.t. it looked like a two and one of them was Bakinson!)   👀

Anyway, if the gaffer wants them to play it out from the back, at high speed, and then hit reverse and play it back in again, then out again, then out again, then...    presumably it's not just good practice for those chosen tonight to have a go at it: it gives him the chance to see how they fare whilst they try to do what he asks them to.  

IMO, Reece James had a 'mare tonight. No worries, we know what he can do and it's a lot better than that.  We weren't sure where Marvin was supposed to be playing either, though it seemed later to be central midfield. Didn't seem great but presumably Xisco learned stuff about him. Brennan doesn't look like a full back to me, be it in a 4 or a 5. (See above.)  

Chezzie played well at times tonight. There certainly didn't seem to be three divisions between them many times, though the 2nd half was better. Indeed, after all the many changes, the 2nd half turned into a very watchable game. Much more enjoyable than Saturday.  

Their goal was fair enough: their man, clean through but along the goal line, did everything they wanted and when Dawson leg /  kneed the ball nominally clear.

seemed the

Became very watchable 2nd half, largely due to three young wingers that we put on, one of them at right back, Joey Phuthi. (?)  He laid on our 2nd goal with a tricky run for Windass to give Gregory a tap in late on. Sean Fusiri is the one that he kept overlapping: we already know he's a prospect. They starred in last seasons Youth Cup run to the quarter final, beating Prem Academy teams as they went.  The lad on the left, (Onukwuli) was quick n direct but didn't have as much success. Another Youth Cup star, Rio Shipstone, made his first appearance at h.t., then being taken off after perhaps 20 or so mins (?) for George Byers to make his comeback. One pass from Rio  swung across from the right wing landed on our left wingers chest.  
😮😮😮   
All that and I was home from an away game by 9.30 pm!  

5 minutes ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Became very watchable 2nd half, largely due to three young wingers that we put on, one of them at right back, Joey Phuthi. (?)  He laid on our 2nd goal with a tricky run for Windass to give Gregory a tap in late on. Sean Fusiri is the one that he kept overlapping: we already know he's a prospect. They starred in last seasons Youth Cup run to the quarter final, beating Prem Academy teams as they went.  The lad on the left, (Onukwuli) was quick n direct but didn't have as much success. Another Youth Cup star, Rio Shipstone, made his first appearance at h.t., then being taken off after perhaps 20 or so mins (?) for George Byers to make his comeback. One pass from Rio  swung across from the right wing landed on our left wingers chest.  
😮😮😮   
All that and I was home from an away game by 9.30 pm!  

An away game where you didn't even have to leave your county, must be nice!

26 minutes ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Went last night, not going to repeat what’s already been said.

Unsure of the logic in persisting with the switch of Marv and Cook, both were having some success until they were switched then both were out of the game 

Don't mind trying something but if it doesn’t work then you just revert back 

These are the games to try things though.. so I’ve no issue with it

• Like 2