Playoff 2nd leg……. Will we make a game of it or will it be ****

I missed it, was on  a plane back from Crete and landed at 1am, first thing I did was check the phone, 90% expecting to see that we hadn't done it...I was absolutely amazed when I read what we'd done.  I started watching the videos at baggage reclaim, then started again when I got home and stopped at around 4am when I thought I should probably get some sleep.

I've loved reading the tweets/watching the vids, that atmosphere looked unreal - kudos to the club, team and fans for making it happen.

Now just don't fook it up Wednesday.  

I haven't seen a clip of it yet just a photo, but it must be on the original matchday recording if someone can watch at the end.

If anybody can get it, (I'm sure the footballing authorities will be looking as well). 

Remember Liams celebration when he scored and slid two footed into the corner flag. 

Well, at the end when the crowd was invading the pitch, a fan did exactly the same two footed slide thing.

Except he didn't do the corner flag...

He did the linesman.

56 minutes ago, MAL said:

I haven't seen a clip of it yet just a photo, but it must be on the original matchday recording if someone can watch at the end.

If anybody can get it, (I'm sure the footballing authorities will be looking as well). 

Remember Liams celebration when he scored and slid two footed into the corner flag. 

Well, at the end when the crowd was invading the pitch, a fan did exactly the same two footed slide thing.

Except he didn't do the corner flag...

He did the linesman.

Saw that on the footage.

9 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Yes but really it will count for nothing if we lose the final, so enjoy today but the world gets back to normal tomorrow 

In the grand scheme of the league, yes, it wouldn't count.

But personally. That'll never be forgotten and won't be tainted should the final go south. It's not a 'nice day out' we won the game that we had to, overturning what the vast majority said we wouldn't, and it will be shown till the dawn of time.

2 minutes ago, HoylandOwl said:

But personally. That'll never be forgotten and won't be tainted should the final go south. It's not a 'nice day out' we won the game that we had to, overturning what the vast majority said we wouldn't, and it will be shown till the dawn of time.

Whilst I fully get that, the icing on the cake is we don't settle for that. 

I enjoyed the win v Sheff U in the FA Cup semi, but the fact we never won the FA Cup .....

Crux is I am being greedy, I want that memory AND the victory in the final 

22 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Whilst I fully get that, the icing on the cake is we don't settle for that. 

I enjoyed the win v Sheff U in the FA Cup semi, but the fact we never won the FA Cup .....

Crux is I am being greedy, I want that memory AND the victory in the final 

Mate, I want both. Absolutely I do. And I'm not 'settling' in the slightest. It's not over, far from it. As DM and the players have said. We've got one to go. 

2 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Amen!  

4 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Perhaps there is a reasonable analogy from one who ... er ... knows a Spurs fan or two rather well.  The CL semifinal comeback with 3 second-half goals v Ajax was a similarly special 'against all odds' occasion.  It was a match and an accomplishment that will be remembered lovingly by every Spurs fan who saw it - always.  But I can tell you, it's never, ever, thought about without at least a tinge of lamentation for what came next.  

The memories of this semifinal, as great as they'll be, will be less than they would've been should the final be lost.  I'm really confident of that.  😐

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

I’ve watched the highlights back now about 3 / 4 times and I can’t stop laughing at Ferguson moaning when Palmer scored. 
🤣

Whether happy or not , he always looks like someone who’s been asked to set his tea aside and come for a chat 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, HoylandOwl said:

Losing doesn’t need thinking about and we need to take the momentum into this game. I think we’re all hoping we haven’t spent our points in that regard and we don’t do another Insipid error prone away day on the big stage.

But if we do fail, I think there are still positives to be taken from the season that need to be built on. We have done better this season than last, sometimes the tight calls see you up sometimes they don’t. We are due a bit (more) luck to get this done in my view given the last few months. 

Either way tho 96 points, that semi, Wembley and the fans. What a selling point for the club recruiting this summer 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pook said:

Perhaps there is a reasonable analogy from one who ... er ... knows a Spurs fan or two rather well.  The CL semifinal comeback with 3 second-half goals v Ajax was a similarly special 'against all odds' occasion.  It was a match and an accomplishment that will be remembered lovingly by every Spurs fan who saw it - always.  But I can tell you, it's never, ever, thought about without at least a tinge of lamentation for what came next.  

The memories of this semifinal, as great as they'll be, will be less than they would've been should the final be lost.  I'm really confident of that.  😐

Simon Jordan on Talksport was 100% on the money. It means nothing if we lose the final. 

2 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

And another thing before palmers goal in the 90 100th minute we get a throw in we take the throw in short then just pass it to Vaulks who picks it up wipes it and cobs it in. Have I missed summat?

Windass (I think) gets the ball and throws it to Palmer as quick as he can from where the ball landed but the ref tells us to take it from where the ball actually went out

Meaning that Palmer managed to get into the penalty area for the throw

Thanks ref

Edited by HarrySpeakup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HappyOwl said:

And another thing before palmers goal in the 90 100th minute we get a throw in we take the throw in short then just pass it to Vaulks who picks it up wipes it and cobs it in. Have I missed summat?

The ref made them take it from the correct spot - how fortunate was that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tank_Owl2,0 said:

The ref made them take it from the correct spot - how fortunate was that.

But according to Mr lost in irony Ferguson, the referee didn’t know how to tell the time, so he’s hardly going to pick the right spot for a throw in too…. Surely!? 😃

Watch the full game. When we get our second, look at the time. Then look when they restart the game.  2 minutes elapse.

Granted, that's in the first half but they were at it all game, even in the additional,final 6 minutes 

Anyway. Fuck 'em 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBO said:

That was because the ref stopped the game to clear the flare

Absolutely brain dead, chucking those bloody things. We're on top, building up intense pressure on the opponents who are rocking, when brain donors cause the extended break and consequently some respite for 'boro who now have time to reset & regroup.  Who the hell do they think they're helping?

Sorry, I mistakenly used the word "think".  🙄

• Like 1

So many interesting things about Palmers goal..

- For all Ferguson's moaning about time, the throw in drops to Clarke-Harris on the floor, if he boots that away into touch it's a strong bet that the ref would blow for full time and Peterborough are going to Wembley.  Instead he miskicks it and it rolls out to Bannan.  If Fergie wants to pin the blame somewhere, he needs to look at his Captain.

- Bannan probably saw that ball coming to him and fancied a shot and we've all seen him ping them in from there, but we've seen them sail high and wide too, with the stakes that high he keeps such a cool head and lays off a lovely ball to Marv.

- At Posh, at 2-0 down we had that attack in their box and Marv sent over a woeful floaty cross, right over everyone's head, they go down the wing and score straight away.  I was fuming at him.  This time he does the same, sends in a floaty cross, but it's a peach, just the right weight and again, cool as a cucumber to choose that option.

- Flint, it's still not an easy cross to deal with, but he uses his experience to get up and nod it back straight into the danger zone, instead of trying to do something stupid like score himself and again, it's a perfect header.

- Palmer, he's been CM all night, WTF is he doing in the CF position?  But there he is, and just watch his movement to get in front of the defender to get to the ball first, it's like he's been a striker all his life.

I keep watching that goal back, for the reaction, the scenes, but also...in its way, although it's a scruffy finish it's a perfect goal, made even more perfect because it was so avoidable by Posh, they had 1 and 3/4 feet in Wembley and fooked it up.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BraddersTim said:

So many interesting things about Palmers goal..

- For all Ferguson's moaning about time, the throw in drops to Clarke-Harris on the floor, if he boots that away into touch it's a strong bet that the ref would blow for full time and Peterborough are going to Wembley.  Instead he miskicks it and it rolls out to Bannan.  If Fergie wants to pin the blame somewhere, he needs to look at his Captain.

- Bannan probably saw that ball coming to him and fancied a shot and we've all seen him ping them in from there, but we've seen them sail high and wide too, with the stakes that high he keeps such a cool head and lays off a lovely ball to Marv.

- At Posh, at 2-0 down we had that attack in their box and Marv sent over a woeful floaty cross, right over everyone's head, they go down the wing and score straight away.  I was fuming at him.  This time he does the same, sends in a floaty cross, but it's a peach, just the right weight and again, cool as a cucumber to choose that option.

- Flint, it's still not an easy cross to deal with, but he uses his experience to get up and nod it back straight into the danger zone, instead of trying to do something stupid like score himself and again, it's a perfect header.

- Palmer, he's been CM all night, WTF is he doing in the CF position?  But there he is, and just watch his movement to get in front of the defender to get to the ball first, it's like he's been a striker all his life.

I keep watching that goal back, for the reaction, the scenes, but also...in its way, although it's a scruffy finish it's a perfect goal, made even more perfect because it was so avoidable by Posh, they had 1 and 3/4 feet in Wembley and fooked it up.

Bang on Bradders, there's so much to admire about that goal. Just before we scored it we'd banged a free kick/cross too straight which their keeper snaffled up, so I thought it was a done deal with that one as the ball made it back to Dawson. I looked at the ref as Dawson had the ball, and he looked at his wrist and I remember thinking, don't look at your other wrist because it's done if he does....

Thank god he didn't! Dawson goes long,  we end up with that throw.... and you described the rest.

• Haha 1

The third goal was a cracking team goal, too.  The surging run and pass, the classic stepover, the rest just brilliant by James, like he'd been a striker all his life.  And the sheer urgency on his face as he runs back.  Moore did some job inspiring those lads to perform like that for over two hours.  We crushed the life out of 'boro. 

• Like 1

I loved James' reaction too - I thought he was surprised by the stepover and didn't quite control it properly and just managed to toe poke it under the keeper

I also loved Dawson's reaction to their goal - no sulking or head in hands - just got the ball straight out of the goal and got the ball back up for the kick off

Back to the 4th goal - Palmer is on his way up but isn't even anywhere near the box when Vaulks is drying the ball with the towel. If he hadn't have dried the ball - like John Pearson was shouting - Palmer definitely wouldn't have scored

Re the playoffs more generally - how often since the start have the top two qualifying teams in each division been in the final, haven’t checked but it seems an irregular occurrence. 
Here’s hoping in our league at least the team highest placed get promoted.