Playoff 2nd leg……. Will we make a game of it or will it be ****

11 minutes ago, owl71 said:

Unbelievable night.  Moore got it exactly right.  Peterborough are a bit of a pinball team.  Their front three are good but their defence isn’t really up to much.  They let in more goals than Fleetwood this season and only two less than Oxford.  Which made the fact that we’d only managed one against them in three games all the more annoying.  Filling the starting line up with the players most likely to score and getting it forward quickly and putting their ropey defence under pressure was absolutely the right approach.  Ferguson’s half time subs seemed a little defensive.  I think he bottled it a bit.  .

Peterboro Pundit on BBC thought Ferguson panicked at half time and went all defensive . Bit rich from him complaining about added time should have a word with his keeper then . Reece James MOM 

Edited by lobster

Just now, lobster said:

Peterboro Pundit on BBC thought Ferguson panicked at half time end went all defensive . Bit rich from him complaining about added time should have a word with his keeper then . Reece James MOM 

Agree re. James MOM.  Didn't argue with Pato as he'd run his blood to water, and somebody elses too, but James had a fabulous game. So much determination!  We need to start having a whip round to get him bought.  

1 hour ago, lobster said:

Peterboro Pundit on BBC thought Ferguson panicked at half time and went all defensive . Bit rich from him complaining about added time should have a word with his keeper then . Reece James MOM 

Wasn't his keeper

I am certain a player went down with cramp (Iorfa I think) and we had at least 2 minutes added on from the crampness. I had the game finishing at 8 minutes, not 6

Eitherway, definitely wasn't blowing the whistle when 6 minutes were up. 

I’m still absolutely buzzing.

the feeling of anger I was drenched in when I woke up at this time last Saturday had been replaced with a bullet proof armour of happiness.

This doesn’t happen to us!!

Fucking hell Wednesday. Thank you so much 👍❤️🦉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Neville Facking Bartos said:

Yeah, whoever it was went down bang on 90 and the ref pointed to his watch. 

The 6 started from the moment the game started again and when you consider that we scored within the 6 

Yep the injury time wasn’t even announced until about 40 second in while they made a sub. And then Iorfa was down injured for a minute. So it was bang on correct. 

9 minutes ago, Chelters said:

Yep the injury time wasn’t even announced until about 40 second in while they made a sub. And then Iorfa was down injured for a minute. So it was bang on correct. 

Adrian Durham called into Talksport moaning about it, but it should have always been 98 mins

Apparently we should have had a red card, presuming that Ihikwe challenge ?

I will sit with you in regret corner on missing out at the ground, but it adds to my small but growing list of classic games missed at S6 over the years. So that was for the team !

Saying that I think me and MK Jr woke up our sleepy village when Palmer scored. 

• Like 2

I deliberately stayed out off here last night just to soak it all in.

What can I say! That is without doubt the best game I’ve ever been to watching us. For so many reasons. 
The passion, the commitment, everything. I don’t think we will ever experience anything like that again. 

On the way there, I said to my boys that if we are 2 up at half time we’re in it. But around 60 mins I think, there was a small lull in the game, the crowd and I momentarily thought out time was gone. When the 3rd went in it was perfectly timed, it gave a really leggy, and spent side a vital boost of energy. And us a boost of passion. But after that I was gone. Head hurting, wondering could we? I was speechless. Just smiling and truly believing we could. 

When Palmer scored, I was expecting it being chalked off. It couldn’t have counted? Limbs of folks flying everywhere. Just unbelievable. 
In extra time, when they scored, I just thought. Whatever happens. I’m proud of everyone, all the players, fans, what a place to be. But Pato. How he found the energy to carry on as long as he did. As Owling said, blood to water. 

I was confident with the pens. And Hunty. Cool as you like. 

The pitch invasion, a proper one. The sheer delight on my lad’s faces. The sheer joy on everyone’s faces. 
That’s my club, your club, our club. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

Adrian Durham called into Talksport moaning about it, but it should have always been 98 mins

I will sit with you in regret corner on missing out at the ground, but it adds to my small but growing list of classic games missed at S6 over the years. So that was for the team !

As good as the atmosphere was, it just felt like it was missing a couple of accountants to give it that extra something. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mkowlthesexynewversion said:

HAHAHAAAAAA The sour Peterborough ****..... 

I’ve been fuming since last Friday, thought we’d thrown our chance away big time.

When we kicked off I was thinking if we could get a goal in the first 10mins you never know. Smith calmly put the pen away.

I then thought if we can get a second before half time and it duly arrived.

Must admit I got greedy and wanted a third to make a game of the second half, instead we scored in that half but with plenty of time left to really make the dream come true.

As the game wore on I thought it was going to be an admirable effort but we’d just fall short, 6 mins of added time came up, the 6 mins expired, my lad turned to me and said it’s not going to happen, I said there’ll be a little bit longer yet as their players had been going down like flies, up stepped Palmer with the latest of late goals, euphoria.

Extra time I wanted us to win it, couldn’t face the thought of pens, a harsh (I thought) free kick but Posh back in front with an OG that would have been so cruel on Gregory, after getting back to 4-4 surely we couldn’t do it again, Pato 5-5, penalties didn’t seem quite as bad now.

Full time, nerves shredding but 5 beautifully taken penalties later and one of the best comebacks in football history was done.

Incredible.

Just watched the highlights back. What you don’t see (understandably) is the shift the back 3 put in. 

Last Friday we showed what can happen when they get it wrong but all 3 of them won their 1v1’s. Icky stood up to the Big Unit all night and Dom and James coped with the wide pace. 

Not a night for singling out individuals, so I’ve singled out 3!

Well what an absolutely amazing night and something that does not happen to Wednesday. 

I was fully expecting us to give it a good go but what happened and the perfect timing of everything for the pure drama was a joy that none of us will have experienced before.   

I am sat at work in the office in Donny bleary eyed and everyone wants to come and talk to me about the match.  People who I did not know liked football as well.  I work closely with a Notts County fan and my Boss who is a Blade.  They are both made up for us.   The Blade is not a normal Blade but a proper football fan who could see and understand what had just happened and all day yesterday kept telling me to believe and fate would take care of it.  He was right - fate and many heroes in blue and white.   

Every single player was something else.  The energy levels of a team that had looked shot on Friday was unbelievable.  Pato, Gregory, Palmer all none stop.  Reece James's little legs going ten to the dozen up and down that pitch.  Proud of em all.

Proudest though for DM who has come in for his fair share of criticism despite the points haul.  Whatever happens he will go down as being the Manager in charge of of greatest ever comeback. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Mark said:

My wife said to me "if you speak to me like that again I'm not taking you to match"

I told the "c*** to feck off"

Right that's it. We're going 2 the game....

I'm quite glad the c*** made me go😉😁

5 minutes ago, Bob Petrie said:

Just watched the highlights back. What you don’t see (understandably) is the shift the back 3 put in. 

Last Friday we showed what can happen when they get it wrong but all 3 of them won their 1v1’s. Icky stood up to the Big Unit all night and Dom and James coped with the wide pace. 

Not a night for singling out individuals, so I’ve singled out 3!

I can't even single out just the 3, to a man every single one of them stood up, fought like beevers & won every battle going - I don't think I've ever celebrated a last minute goal like I did last night when Pslmers went in.....

On a bitter sweet note the realisation me and Half Pint can't go to Wembley is hitting home as the mates are send Whats Apps about hotels/travel etc.  Who books a holiday the day of the Play Off Final ?? Doh !!

Had a big chat with Half Pint after about missing the Final and he was very level headed and said he just wanted us to get promoted and even at Wembley would not see anything like we had just witnessed. 

If anyone is linked to air traffic control at Newcastle Airport could you please look at delaying the 15.45 to Tenerife on 29/5/23 !!!!

10 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

On a bitter sweet note the realisation me and Half Pint can't go to Wembley is hitting home as the mates are send Whats Apps about hotels/travel etc.  Who books a holiday the day of the Play Off Final ?? Doh !!

Had a big chat with Half Pint after about missing the Final and he was very level headed and said he just wanted us to get promoted and even at Wembley would not see anything like we had just witnessed. 

If anyone is linked to air traffic control at Newcastle Airport could you please look at delaying the 15.45 to Tenerife on 29/5/23 !!!!

It's bad enough you're missing the game but flying mid game - mate I feel you both.....WIFI on the plane & get the game on! 

12 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

If your not needing ya ID’s could do with one for my youngest 😉

30 minutes ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

EFL set of c###@

Screenshot_20230519_104446_Chrome.thumb.jpg.031682cc75feb0fa02f0e60ff617cb5f.jpg

Now I have calmed down, I can now put words to what happened last night.

So, I watched the game live on Polish TV with three friends, and I was the most pessimistic of the three, but did think, if we start quick, nick a goal, you just never know.

So, we score the pen, which was a pen, we got a lot of crosses in, and we rode our luck as we just went 1v1 defensively, they created two or three decent oops which we stopped. But as soon as the second went in, it was over for them. Our levels, pressing, noise - everything went up 10%. Peterborough were done.

The second half was one of the most one sided contests you have ever seen. The only concern was whether we would take our chances, which at times, it looked like we wouldn’t. But when we got the third, I genuinely knew we’d win it. They were out on their feet. They couldn’t complete a pass, they were duffing clearances. And the Ferguson went defensive…

It was inevitable we would equalise. And Liam Palmer pops up.

Oddly enough, I thought we tried to take a bit of a breather in extra time until they scored. But again, the levels, and the noise went up again and Pato equalised and I thought that Ihiekwe could have won it.

During the pens, they NEVER looked confident, at any point, Dawson got close to two (one I thought he should have saved). Whereas they didn’t get anywhere near any of ours.

Just on the tactics. Clear plan tonight how to create pressure. Get the ball up the pitch quickly and use Paterson on the diagonal and get Smith and Gregory as close as they could get. And they won every single physical contest they faced. Pato and Gregory dominated them - too big, too strong, and too busy. We overmatched them with size, so Bannan kept hanging the ball up from corners and we attacked and won so many first and second headers.

We went one v one, but, Moore made a slight change after about 30 mins and played Palmer just in front of the three and he just kept dropping in to help out and stop overloads. That subtle change changed the game because all of sudden, we could get Iorfa and James up the pitch at bit, which because Peterborough were penned in, was easy to do. The three, from the 30th minute on were very very comfortable.

Every single player played well, but I’ll call out a few. Palmer and James were relentless, at getting the ball back and driving up the pitch. Pato dominated, I thought it was Michael Smiths best game. I thought it was Lee Gregory’s best game (he ran his blood to water, constantly pressing). I thought Marvin Johnson was excellent second half. But I’ll save the last word for the captain. He was the  calm in the storm… while everyone around him was blood and thunder, he just put his foot on things, moved the ball and gave us a bit of a foothold. A very disciplined performance.

That was the most together I’ve seen a team, there was a moment in the second half when we are pressing with Gregory, and he’s trying to get help, Smith comes over, Johnson comes over, Windass comes over, even Reece James joins in. We get a throw and our players are almost celebrating it like a goal. The amount of cajoling and encouragement they gave each other was incredible. Big tackle, hand slaps, good cross, hand claps. It was brilliant to see.

That came from the manager getting the mindset right, sometimes it clicks, and it all clicked. He deserves massive credit as do the staff for instilling the belief.

The atmosphere, and I had the TV on loud, was incredible. It will go down as one of those great Hillsborough nights in terms of noise, it helped lift the players and sucked the  life out of them. I’ve always said this, when our support is at it, it’s a horrible place to play. And it was a proper cauldron last night.

So - Wembley a week on Monday. I don’t want tonight to be a footnote. Let’s complete the job, get promoted, and then see what happens. But the key is to win on the 29th, otherwise for last night exists only as a footnote.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrolMong said:

Now I have calmed down, I can now put words to what happened last night.

So, I watched the game live on Polish TV with three friends, and I was the most pessimistic of the three, but did think, if we start quick, nick a goal, you just never know.

So, we score the pen, which was a pen, we got a lot of crosses in, and we rode our luck as we just went 1v1 defensively, they created two or three decent oops which we stopped. But as soon as the second went in, it was over for them. Our levels, pressing, noise - everything went up 10%. Peterborough were done.

The second half was one of the most one sided contests you have ever seen. The only concern was whether we would take our chances, which at times, it looked like we wouldn’t. But when we got the third, I genuinely knew we’d win it. They were out on their feet. They couldn’t complete a pass, they were duffing clearances. And the Ferguson went defensive…

It was inevitable we would equalise. And Liam Palmer pops up.

Oddly enough, I thought we tried to take a bit of a breather in extra time until they scored. But again, the levels, and the noise went up again and Pato equalised and I thought that Ihiekwe could have won it.

During the pens, they NEVER looked confident, at any point, Dawson got close to two (one I thought he should have saved). Whereas they didn’t get anywhere near any of ours.

Just on the tactics. Clear plan tonight how to create pressure. Get the ball up the pitch quickly and use Paterson on the diagonal and get Smith and Gregory as close as they could get. And they won every single physical contest they faced. Pato and Gregory dominated them - too big, too strong, and too busy. We overmatched them with size, so Bannan kept hanging the ball up from corners and we attacked and won so many first and second headers.

We went one v one, but, Moore made a slight change after about 30 mins and played Palmer just in front of the three and he just kept dropping in to help out and stop overloads. That subtle change changed the game because all of sudden, we could get Iorfa and James up the pitch at bit, which because Peterborough were penned in, was easy to do. The three, from the 30th minute on were very very comfortable.

Every single player played well, but I’ll call out a few. Palmer and James were relentless, at getting the ball back and driving up the pitch. Pato dominated, I thought it was Michael Smiths best game. I thought it was Lee Gregory’s best game (he ran his blood to water, constantly pressing). I thought Marvin Johnson was excellent second half. But I’ll save the last word for the captain. He was the  calm in the storm… while everyone around him was blood and thunder, he just put his foot on things, moved the ball and gave us a bit of a foothold. A very disciplined performance.

That was the most together I’ve seen a team, there was a moment in the second half when we are pressing with Gregory, and he’s trying to get help, Smith comes over, Johnson comes over, Windass comes over, even Reece James joins in. We get a throw and our players are almost celebrating it like a goal. The amount of cajoling and encouragement they gave each other was incredible. Big tackle, hand slaps, good cross, hand claps. It was brilliant to see.

That came from the manager getting the mindset right, sometimes it clicks, and it all clicked. He deserves massive credit as do the staff for instilling the belief.

The atmosphere, and I had the TV on loud, was incredible. It will go down as one of those great Hillsborough nights in terms of noise, it helped lift the players and sucked the  life out of them. I’ve always said this, when our support is at it, it’s a horrible place to play. And it was a proper cauldron last night.

So - Wembley a week on Monday. I don’t want tonight to be a footnote. Let’s complete the job, get promoted, and then see what happens. But the key is to win on the 29th, otherwise for last night exists only as a footnote.

KM you have just cracked me and welled up reading that.  Must be dust in my eyes.  

11 hours ago, Owling_Wolf said:

Oi!  I thought you were jumping from the top of the South if we did it?  Call yourself a fan?   

😄

I was more worried about the tattoo I’m having on mi arse 💙💙💙

Edited by HappyOwl

What’s extra impressive is that we climbed a mountain twice. Most teams if they get back in a game have expended everything doing so. Felt like it when Peterborough got that lucky goal (another) and that it would be too much. But they went and did it again, like a complete machine, crawling if they had to. 

Just hope they have some of that left for what will be tough at Wembley 

5 hours ago, owl4ever1867 said:

I can't even single out just the 3, to a man every single one of them stood up, fought like beevers & won every battle going - I don't think I've ever celebrated a last minute goal like I did last night when Pslmers went in.....

That last bit, I'm sure, goes for everybody who saw it!

• Like 1